Pet passport (1 Viewer)

Apr 20, 2009
norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi i was wondering if anybody could help me .i realise its to late for this years trip to france but next year we would really like to take Ruby our springer spaniel with us,does anyone no what we have to do exactly and approx costs . can i get her chipped anywhere or does it have to be at the vets? how long is the process? what needs to be done before we bring her back to the uk ? ect ect any advice would be very helpfull .:Smile:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
Our vet charged £195 for all the stuff involved to get Ellie a passport. First she had the rabies injection, then we had to take her back a couple of weeks later so that a blood sample could be taken, sent to a government-approved laboratory who confirmed the antibodies were in her blood and then I got the passport. I suspect it was around a month from start to finish. Ellie could leave the country but wasn't allowed to return before six months from the date of her injection. She only needs a booster every 3 years but I'm not sure all European countries accept that.

Regarding the microchip, it might be worth contacting the animal charities to see if they have any chipping drives on. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
i think it depends on the vet aswell as regards to price so shop about, we couldnt find our dogs vaccine book so we had to pay for the vaccines again on top of the rest of the charges which were about £250 in total :cry: and its 6months after the blood test before your dog can return to the uk

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
We were quoted between 100 and 200 pounds for the process. In the end stayed with our vet which was the highest price but were fully trusting that they would get it 100% correct. The dogs were already microchipped which saved us money. I think the chipping is about £24.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
You have to get the chip done first.
Although you might save some money going to a pet store, I'd stick with the vet.
(Was in UK last winter, young dog in pet store had heavily blood stained fur--he'd just been chipped--and that should NOT happen. I've had 6 chipped and not a drop lost!)

The sequence is Chip > rabies jab (some vets do 2, maybe depending on dogs age?) wait about a month (vet will advise) blood test> if results of blood test OK you can LEAVE UK but not get back in until 6 months after blood test was taken.

You have to keep up the rabies jabs if you want to travel. if you go even one day over due date you have to have the blood test re-done, wait another 6 months.
In the UK rabies jabs can last 2 years, at most vets you can ask for a 3 year one. Always make sure the vet puts the right expiry date--twice I've had them write the following year when they've had the 3 year jab.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
lead in time is about 6 months

The lead in time is about six months.. First the Rabbies jab, then the blood test and wait for the result.. if OK then you can leave the UK a few months down the line, but cannot come back until 6 months after the OK on the blood test.. So you need to allow plenty of time. Can be expensive.. micro chips about £20 ish.. but it is the jab and the lab work that adds up.. has to be renewed before the 3 years is up.. one day late and you start again from go ..so to speak.

Vet fees for the return journey are anything from €29 upwards even to €60.. you have to visit a vet for them to give tick treatment and a jab.. requires 3 stamps in the pet passport dated and timed.. from the time you visit the vet you cannot come back for 24 hours and have to be back within 48 hours.. Plenty of info on the site.. we have used a vet several times in Amiens and I know a few other have also used the vet. Welshbois, The Griffs etc., but when you need the info ask on the forum again. ..we pay €29 last year and this year.

Bob

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Between us all we must have a couple of hundred years of travel on the continent, so, has anyone ever know of anyone that has suffered from Rabies from a dog bite.

I ask this as I think the whole thing is a setup that may not be needed.

Doug...

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
The RSPCA and some other dog rescues sometimes do microchipping for about £10 - 15. My 3 all have passports which cost about £120 - 130 each for the rabies jab and bloodtests etc. We then headed straight to Europe as I had no plans to return until the 6 months had passed. Coming back the tick and worming treatment cost me 47 euros for the 3 dogs (depends on size) and getting them back on the ferry was a doddle.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back