Interesting development on car insurance (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
The time had come to renew my car insurance, I always check out about 6 or 7 companies every year.

On checking with Aviva car insurance I found that they had a £200 surcharge should I use a non approved garage for any accident repairs that may be needed. At this I asked, "where are the approved garage's near to my home". To find that the nearest one was 60 miles away

Obviously I want else were.

Doug...

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
The time had come to renew my car insurance, I always check out about 6 or 7 companies every year.

On checking with Aviva car insurance I found that they had a £200 surcharge should I use a non approved garage for any accident repairs that may be needed. At this I asked, "where are the approved garage's near to my home". To find that the nearest one was 60 miles away

Obviously I want else were.

Doug...

Aviva do indeed charge a £200 excess if you do not use their approved repairers.

However why would you not want to use them. Should you use a repairer of your own choice the repairs are not guaranteed by Aviva, as well as the repairing garage.

Even though your nearest repairer is 60 miles away, Aviva will pay the cost to take your vehicle to their repair garage. They will transport you and your passengers home or to the destination of your journey. They will also deliver the car back to your address after the repairs have been carried out.

That does not sound too unreasonable. This is becoming ever more common. Should their quote be competitive I don't see this approved repairer requirement as a reason that would put me off....

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Lots of insurers do this, and at least they give an option to go elsewhere with aviva.

If you take a friends Mercedes, which was insured with Direct Line. He had someone 'bump' into in whilst it was parked outside his cafe. It went through the insurers, but Direct Line stated he HAD to go to one of their repairers, rather than to Mercedes Bodyshop, as it was cheaper - but with a mercedes, you invalidate your warranty by going to a non-mercedes bodyshop....and when you have a 30 year corrosion warranty to look after - I would far rather go to merc and pay a £200 excess!

Recommended repairers, may not alway be the best...often the cheapest!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Is this not the insurers making a deal with which ever garage will give them a discount?

This may not be the best garage for the repair, and definitely not if the car is a Merc. You can understand Merc's position if they were to have a claim under the corrosion warranty and some garage had done a cheap job on it previously.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Is this not the insurers making a deal with which ever garage will give them a discount?

This may not be the best garage for the repair, and definatly not if the car is a Merc. You can understand Merc's position if they were to have a claim under the corrosion warranty and some garage had done a cheap job on it.

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
I had a Nissan Terrano a few years ago which someone ran into. My insurer insisted it went to their 'approved' repairer, a Vauxhall dealer! It took them three attempts to get the right paint colour!
On the other side of the road right opposite was a Nissan dealer!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back