Jeanieball

Free Member
Apr 12, 2011
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi - we are very much newbies - bought our lovely van (Burstner Aviano i681) only last December. Had some fantastic weekends away already - but now glad the weather is warming up!

We want to go to France in May, taking the long Portsmouth to Le Havre crossing to save on driving time. Now I know this may sound a stupid question, but regarding sleeping - I presume we would not be able to sleep in our van??!! That being so, can anyone who has taken that route recommend the best option for a pleasant crossing for 8 hours? ::bigsmile:

samany

Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
we did that crossing with LD lines last year and we parked up right by thier booking kiosk.
very nice man said it was ok.have a good trip.

Upvote 0

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Jeannie, I don't think you will be able to sleep in your van whilst on the ferry. Best options are to book a cabin or a reclining seat. Have you considered using the Newhaven to Dieppe route, a 4 hour crossing. There is an aire about 200 yards from the Dieppe ferry terminal and it is only a 60 mile drive to Le Harve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
you have to book a cabin if its a night crossing, although they may have the recliner chairs in the seperate lounge that you can book if you dont mind all the snoring/sleep talkers etc from others trying to get 40 winks also.
To be honest for what it costs i would go for the cheaper dover crossing and drive you are only talking around 170 miles from Calais to Le Harve even with a couple of tolls it will cost you less than the portsmouth - le harve crossing

Just noticed its your first post

Hi and Welcome to Fun

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

Jeanieball

Free Member
Apr 12, 2011
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for all your speedy replies. I think you're probably right Chatter - to go to Calais, especially as I use my Tesco vouchers so it is free!! :thumb:

Something to think on..... We also wanted to go to Le Havre so that our first stop would be Enfluer. We hired a van last September and landed there - a beautiful old town. Also ate in one of the very best restaurants we'd ever been in.

Hmmm. :Doh:

Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I know you want to save on Driving, but you are in Essex?

I really can not think of a better way to go than Dover Calais and just taking your time...

A drive from Essex to Portsmouth will not be nearly as nice as a drive from Calais to anywhere in France.:thumb:

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Why not - more or less - finish your hol on the aire in Honfleur instead?

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
you have to book a cabin if its a night crossing, although they may have the recliner chairs in the seperate lounge that you can book if you dont mind all the snoring/sleep talkers etc from others trying to get 40 winks also.
To be honest for what it costs i would go for the cheaper dover crossing and drive you are only talking around 170 miles from Calais to Le Harve even with a couple of tolls it will cost you less than the portsmouth - le harve crossing

Just noticed its your first post

Hi and Welcome to Fun

Done the crossing with recliner seats......... instruments of torture, never been so uncomfortable in my life, you could tell the ones that had done the crossing before, they got into the recliners lounge handy and lay on the floor between the seats!!

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We only ever booked em once - and landed up sleeping on two long settees in a corridor off the bar area! There was aircon in the recliners place and it was far too cold for me, motorbike leathers aren't that snugly to sleep in anyway.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Done the crossing with recliner seats......... instruments of torture, never been so uncomfortable in my life, you could tell the ones that had done the crossing before, they got into the recliners lounge handy and lay on the floor between the seats!!
done that on the 12hr hull/zebrugge sail with P+O a very long time ago....before cabins were compulsory.
the floor was a damn sight more comfy than the recliners :RollEyes:

with the o/p setting off from essex its nowt of a drive to dover then a very relaxed and pleasurable drive through france.

we have a 305 mile uk trip before we even see a ferry ! :Sad:

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I to and fro frequently, though sadly not in a MH yet.
Can recommend Sea France Dover>Calais
Norfolk Lines Dover>Dunkerque has some very cheap details.

Newhaven> Dieppe far better than Portsmouth>Le Havre, IMHO.

On the LD lines Newhaven to Dieppe go upstairs, far as you can, and to front left of ferry--quiet lounge with reclining seats--some crossings I've had the whole room to myself.

Anyone travelling with animals on passports, you can get charged UK>France from Portsmouth and Newhaven but Sea France don't charge Dover>Calais, neither do tunnel or Norfolk Lines .
Always a charge France to UK.

Upvote 0

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Hi - we are very much newbies - bought our lovely van (Burstner Aviano i681) only last December. Had some fantastic weekends away already - but now glad the weather is warming up!

We want to go to France in May, taking the long Portsmouth to Le Havre crossing to save on driving time. Now I know this may sound a stupid question, but regarding sleeping - I presume we would not be able to sleep in our van??!! That being so, can anyone who has taken that route recommend the best option for a pleasant crossing for 8 hours? ::bigsmile:

As others have said, drive down to Dover, lots of choice, much cheaper than Portsmouth - Le Havre. We are going across in August with Norfolk Line (now DFDS), for 3 weeks, 7m van £68 return with civilised crossing times. Also no foot passengers or coaches on Norfolk so less crowded on board.

You cannot sleep in your vehicles on any ferries, the vehicle decks are secured at sea.

So instead of the boring M25 M3 drive to Portsmouth you can now amble down to Honfleur surrounded by lovely countryside. We will start our journey this summer heading that way again.

Even if you take the autoroute it is an easy 4 or 5 hour drive with only about €30 / €35 in tolls. Still saving as opposed to the Portsmouth crossing. Altenatively if you prefer break the drive at somewhere like Le Crotoy or St Valery sur Somme, nice aires at both..

Whichever route you choose, have fun, I know you will, oh, and Bienvenue a MHF....:thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I to and fro frequently, though sadly not in a MH yet.
Can recommend Sea France Dover>Calais
Norfolk Lines Dover>Dunkerque has some very cheap details.

Newhaven> Dieppe far better than Portsmouth>Le Havre, IMHO.

On the LD lines Newhaven to Dieppe go upstairs, far as you can, and to front left of ferry--quiet lounge with reclining seats--some crossings I've had the whole room to myself.

Anyone travelling with animals on passports, you can get charged UK>France from Portsmouth and Newhaven but Sea France don't charge Dover>Calais, neither do tunnel or Norfolk Lines .
Always a charge France to UK.

Am I missing something here? We have always been charged for Ellie, the dog, by Sea France. £25 return. We are going over Dover to Calais/Dunkirk beginning June this year but the prices seem to have gone up. We expect to be away until early July and I have liked Sea France since you only get charged £10 if you go to Calais and change your return sailing. I'm never quite sure when we will return. Soooo, would we be better going out on a single and getting a single for the journey back later, or just get a return to start with and vary the return journey later on. Is that rubbish? :Doh::Doh:

Ivy

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back