Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are in France as many of you know but can anyone explain the reason for this.
We come on site around 1pm and the site is empty.
Then arrive at around 4 to 6pm the place is full,then at 9am in the morning everyone goes,where are they all off to?
The camps in the UK have vans that stay a few days at least.
this is amazing to see every where we have been so far.
Had a lot of rain last night.
We are in Bannes at the moment ,haven't seen anything much exciting yet,maybe more to see when we get to thus west coast.
Just found a restaurant in the villages that does 3courses for 12euro. Excellent so we are going to give that a go tonight.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Cant answer your question, but have a lovely time

Dale

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It would appear there is not a site sitting culture in France, with so many aires people only use sites when they need washing done or have children to entertain, otherwise people just keep moving and explore more. Come july the French are on holiday and its a bit different then but still plenty of room. Its a big country. Enjoy:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Similar here in Spain.

Is it the price of fuel or the camp site fees or a combination of both ?

One site we nearly stayed on but visited a few weeks ago to have a look was empty and they had just put their fees up :Eeek:

Camp Site Suicide or what :Doh:

Mick

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i agree with Roger......

if you're going to stay on one site for a week you may as well travel by car and stay in B&B's.

have motorhome, will travel :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i agree with Roger......

if you're going to stay on one site for a week you may as well travel by car and stay in B&B's.

have motorhome, will travel :thumb:

we went to Scotland by car to see my dad..

a 'cheap' B&B for two adults and one child sharing a room.. £70 so we rented a lovely cottage for 7 nights, cost £300

A lot cheaper than taking the RV 1,000 miles at 12 mpg and paying site fees.

Motorhoming is not a cheap way of going on holiday ..

As to the OP question... most French use aires and as already said, go on sites occasionally to use facilities.. they don't like paying for parking up, even on aires.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We are in France as many of you know but can anyone explain the reason for this.
We come on site around 1pm and the site is empty.
Then arrive at around 4 to 6pm the place is full,then at 9am in the morning everyone goes,where are they all off to?
The camps in the UK have vans that stay a few days at least.
this is amazing to see every where we have been so far.
Had a lot of rain last night.
We are in Bannes at the moment ,haven't seen anything much exciting yet,maybe more to see when we get to thus west coast.
Just found a restaurant in the villages that does 3courses for 12euro. Excellent so we are going to give that a go tonight.

The sites in Spain are emptying everyday with those of us who have spent the winter down here. We leave in the morning and will be slowly travelling north. We may use an odd site but mostly will be on Aires for one night only.

This site is now almost devoid of travelling vans. It was crammed during the winter months.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
No idea why its happening but is it after you have arrived that it empties:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We just tend to stay one or two nights as we are here for 2 ;months and not in a rush and to get our washing dried. But have noticed the mad eexodus in The morning even before we get up which is usually around 9. And considered that the clock is one hour forward her its still 8am. Yawn yawn.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
But have noticed the mad eexodus in The morning even before we get up which is usually around 9. And considered that the clock is one hour forward her its still 8am. Yawn yawn.

Only times I have noticed 'mad exodii' has been at Brantome,an Aire which is in a huge field next to the Medieval town which is very popular.The French leave 1st thing,before the guy comes round to collect the €6,and return after he's gone ::bigsmile:
There are 4 Bannes in France,which one are you at ? If it's the one NW of Avignon you are on the edge of the migratory route used by the Dutch,Belgians and Germans going to the Med and the Camargue. If you are there,Avignon is worth a visit-you could sing and dance on the bridge ::bigsmile:

Hope you enjoyed your meal, Mike.
ps We'll be coming down the West coastish from May 17th,may bump into you .Not literally ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We are at Bannes near langres, the meal was horrible, we had a 3 course meal which started with salad and lardon with gizzards, we though oh well give it a go, the first plate was a tiny plate of, the waiter said shrimps, well Tez hate shrimps and so I ended up with them, with the 2 pains, I was starving so I eat Tez's shrimps and one pain.
Then the next course came which looked more like the one we ordered ( the gizzard one)with a salad and bacon bits and a poached egg, that was nice and finished off another pain. feeling as if that was our second course and feeling a bit full was ready for the desert!!!.
well the waiter put some steak knives in front of us and we though oh oh that must have been the entree, we have just had.
He then brought to our table something which looked like a cutlet of boiled bacon which was full of wobbly gelatin bits which looked a bit like the gelatin you get around tinned ham onlky warm and with a soft squishy rind, well I tried to eat some and it was gross, along with the underdone carrot batons and the chopped up cabbage and the brown rice along with 2 sauces that I tasted which I presume was horsradish sauce.
well I left most of that and so did Tez, it was supposed to have been Veal cutlets.
I was feeling full anyway from having eaten 2 courses already so didnt feel too bad about leaving it. we had a carafe of rose wine and water to wash it down with.
the desert came and I ordered a course which said floating eggs on a custard base, well the custard base was a watery kind of creamy thick stuff with a soft meringue type topping which was very sweet topped with a dead flower with what looked like a tiny apricot which we didnt try because we didnt know it was edible, and the three courses ended up being 16.50 euro and the small carafe of wine was 9.50 eur and we hade 2 small glasses of beer blonde which was 3.50 euro each about 33mls.
Needless to say we wont be going there again

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Oh dear,sounds like the first dish he brought was an 'amuse bouche' of crevettes ::bigsmile:
We've always found the veal to be excellent and never had 'gelatinous' bits in it.
Better luck next time eh.
We found both Metz and Nancy worth a visit last yr-especially if you're into Art Nouveau.
Of course there's champagne to be tasted and bought ::bigsmile:

Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back