Free Member
Mar 29, 2011
llandudno. North Wales
Funster No
MH
hymer Swift 544
Exp
1 year
OK I told the old man that there IS a Thule bike rack that fits the tow bar, does it have to be screwed onto the motorhome???? it would compromise our van as the kitchen is mounted at the back of the van. Can anyone tell me what to buy??? I have just bought two new electric bikes, and had the most fun on them ever. With hip problems I am now able to get around up to 25 miles. What a buy. If anyone wants two ordinary bikes I have two now for sale. Only less than a year old, both blue. All mod cons etc. Can collect. Can send photo.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi most towbar mounted bike racks are just mounted to the towbar and not fixed anywhere else on the vehicle although some may have a strap at the top which on a car would fix to the top of the tailgate or front of the boot lid.

do check that it will carry the weight of 2 electric bikes as they are often heavier than normal pedal bikes.

the other thing to do is remove the batteries from the electric bikes and store them in the motorhome as that is where the majority of the extra weight comes from.

you may need to purchase a rack that will carry 4 bikes to take the weight of the 2 electric ones.

also available are disability scooter carriers that fasten on the tow bar that basically give you a flat platform or a motorbike rack that gives pretty much the same.

ebay can be a good source for second hand ones.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Hi Ellabella,
Our thule bike rack fits directly on to the tow ball,brilliant bit of kit but I'm wondering if this particular one is man enough for your electric bikes.Thule do a large range of racks so I'm sure you will get sorted,
I'm in the market for double tow ball configuration as we want to take the bikes as well as our toad.

Regards, John P:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
This one by Thule simply fits onto the towball:thumb::thumb:

100_0516.jpg

100_0514.jpg

Regards Pat

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Hi Ellabella,
Our thule bike rack fits directly on to the tow ball,brilliant bit of kit but I'm wondering if this particular one is man enough for your electric bikes.Thule do a large range of racks so I'm sure you will get sorted,
I'm in the market for double tow ball configuration as we want to take the bikes as well as our toad.

i would think the best way round this is to fit the bike rack to the toad personally.

pixorr

Free Member
Jan 18, 2011
Northants
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Check the link to the Thule site

Link Removed

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
i would think the best way round this is to fit the bike rack to the toad personally.

Not possible,the car is on a trailer and is a fiat 500 convertable,There are double tow ball configerations but its just picking the right one.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Hi Ellabella,

We have a Thule towbar bike rack. Although we only have 2 bikes we bought the 3 bike carrier as its total load is 45kg. Our bikes are just over 20 kg each without their batteries.

http://www.skidrive.co.uk/cycle/product_detail.php?partno=974000

Works brilliantly but if you have a stepthrough bike (no crossbar) you will need a frame adapter

http://www.skidrive.co.uk/cycle/product_detail.php?partno=981000

Hi Garry,just seen your post on the bike rack.Its the same model as ours and I have trouble with my wifes bike as it is a step through,I have to turn it upside down to secure it properly and its a pain in the arse,you mentioned a frame adapter.Is that a thule product as I've never seen or heard of one:Doh: but am very interested.

Redjumpa

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
Hi Garry,just seen your post on the bike rack.Its the same model as ours and I have trouble with my wifes bike as it is a step through,I have to turn it upside down to secure it properly and its a pain in the arse,you mentioned a frame adapter.Is that a thule product as I've never seen or heard of one:Doh: but am very interested.

They sell them at Halfords, not sure how they fit though.

Link Removed

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years

Hi John,

Yes they are a Thule product. There are actually about 3 different types but basically do the same thing but have different lengths and they do work. They just become a temporary crossbar. Both of our bikes are stepthrough and I didn't realise when I bought the rack that I would need them. :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back