Drama at Peterborough - underhand indeed! (1 Viewer)

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
As most of you know by now (or maybe not? :ROFLMAO:) My parents had their first stand at Peterborough this weekend (I wont mention the product or brand so Jim wont smack my botty :Blush:) but upon my arrival Friday afternoon, I was informed that Thursday night (early hours) 2 men from a rival firm were caught tampering with their Toad, which was being used to demonstrate the product, the other stall holder saw them off (and recognised them) but it meant that the car had a flat batt in the morn and could have burnt the 'product' motor out! :Angry: My poor mum (71yrs!! old) was very upset as she loves her little toad... :Sad: The other stall holder fixed the car for them so their nasty little plan didnt work :thumb:

What nasty people they are though, I wanted to go and have a little word with them but my lovely parents wouldnt let me.... shame though....:Angry:

I am still quite shocked by their behaviour to be honest :Eeek::Angry:

Still it's a compliment that they feel so threatened...and a good test for the product motor, that didnt burn out,even after being on all night! So stuff the badies I say :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I'm sorry to say, I have no idea what you are talking about.....:whatthe:

Most of us, may actually not know, as most of us were not at Peterborough....

More info please, it's like reading a riddle......:Doh:

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
sad to hear but you should have got the funsters to all stand out side there stand and not let anyone near it for a couple hours then that might stop them next time was it reported to the organizers ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Not my fault Jim..they made me do it...lol

I'm sorry to say, I have no idea what you are talking about.....:whatthe:

Most of us, may actually not know, as most of us were not at Peterborough....

More info please, it's like reading a riddle......:Doh:

Ok, well they have launched a new Servo towing system and it was it's first showing this weekend...and it has caused a huge stir and seriously upset the rivals....so one of the rivals (who's name I shall not mention, in order not to lower myself to their scummy level :Angry:) tried to destroy the product, in the dead of night, so it would not work the next day, for demonstrations :Angry:. They were then telling customers the next day that my parents system didnt work! But! They didnt know that the other kind stall owners had charged the batt up for my parents and they had failed to burn the motor out too... nasty nasty people....grrrrr :Angry:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
sad to hear but you should have got the funsters to all stand out side there stand and not let anyone near it for a couple hours then that might stop them next time was it reported to the organizers ?

I wanted to report it but my dad said not to as he didnt want to make trouble... he's a much better person than I, that's for sure :thumb: But it did upset them, that people could be so low and nasty :Sad:

andi4x4

Free Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would suggest that it be reported anyway - even though the show has now ended - as the organisers may well be responsible for other shows at which the perpetrators have booked stalls, or shows at which they may apply for stalls in the future. Any responsible show organiser would not allow this sort of thing to happen, and may seek to decline applications for stall pitches in the future. These sort of people should be named and shamed as far as I am concerned - they may be worried about their own sales slumping to a superior product, but, their time would be better spent bringing their own product up to scratch, rather than trying to sabbotage other peoples business's.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I agree name & shame because as responsible owners I doubt anyone will want to do business with them

BUT remember to couch your remarks as in "Its alleged that"

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I was informed that Thursday night (early hours) 2 men from a rival firm were caught tampering with their Toad, which was being used to demonstrate the product, the other stall holder saw them off (and recognised them) but it meant that the car had a flat batt in the morn and could have burnt the 'product' motor out! :Angry: My poor mum (71yrs!! old) was very upset as she loves her little toad... :Sad: The other stall holder fixed the car for them so their nasty little plan didnt work :thumb:

Still it's a compliment that they feel so threatened...and a good test for the product motor, that didnt burn out,even after being on all night! So stuff the badies I say :thumb:

Sad to hear that some people can't stand the competition...:Angry:

As you say. It's a credit to your product that it withstood the abuse.

Good luck in your venture.:thumb:

Glad to hear that comrades came to their rescue.

blueeyes

Free Member
Mar 14, 2011
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
:cry::cry: i think you should be able to name and shame them on this site,,to help others ? but as long as its leagle

Totally agree this behaviour is unexceptable, I for one would like to know who it was so that i never end up spending any money on their product.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Needed reporting so other stallholders may not fall prey to these scumbags

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
2 men from a rival firm were caught tampering with their Toad, which was being used to demonstrate the product, the other stall holder saw them off (and recognised them) but it meant that the car had a flat batt in the morn and could have burnt the 'product' motor out! :Angry:

Then they've done you a big favour. If anyone can tamper with the gadget from outside you need to correct the design so any old t%%t out there can't do the same to you customers.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I agree to be honest, that if the product can be tampered with from the outside, sufficient to be able to flatten and battery or worse it should be re designed, unless it is a prototype.

I can imagine some one tinkering over night in an Aire and a similar set of circumstances occuring

Was there any literature or signage on the stand mentioning orther products or manufacturers?

Eddie

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
Unibrake.co.uk

This link is in the OP's first posting.
Worth a look.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Unibrake.co.uk
This link is in the OP's first posting.
Worth a look.

Got to take my hat off to them for guts, this is a non-trivial development, there are so many failure modes and CE regs involved I don't know how a tiny UK firm has funded it.

>> It will only brake when the brakes in the Motorhome are applied,
>> therefore it can reverse freely without drag.

So if some lead footed driver engages a low gear and drops the clutch the toad just keeps on coming ?

I must say, give people knobs to twiddle and 99% of the time they'll twiddle them the wrong way. I guess too high a setting and poor little toad is trying to stop 3.5t of MH.

Emergency brake in MH cab, so when, not if, A Pratt hits Stop poor little A frame is trying to stop 3.5t of MH. That sounds a bit dramatic.

I'm guessing the t##ts at the show pulled the disconnect pin. This turns on brake pedal actuator ( surely not a solenoid, horrid things ). Absolutely no excuse for that activating for more than seconds and no excuse for activating at zero speed.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Got to take my hat off to them for guts, this is a non-trivial development, there are so many failure modes and CE regs involved I don't know how a tiny UK firm has funded it.

So if some lead footed driver engages a low gear and drops the clutch the toad just keeps on coming ?

I must say, give people knobs to twiddle and 99% of the time they'll twiddle them the wrong way. I guess too high a setting and poor little toad is trying to stop 3.5t of MH.

Emergency brake in MH cab, so when, not if, A Pratt hits Stop poor little A frame is trying to stop 3.5t of MH. That sounds a bit dramatic.

I'm guessing the t##ts at the show pulled the disconnect pin. This turns on brake pedal actuator ( surely not a solenoid, horrid things ). Absolutely no excuse for that activating for more than seconds and no excuse for activating at zero speed.

Or in my case 7.5t:ROFLMAO: Anyway worth a look

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Sounds very much as if this unit works in a similar fashion to my 5th wheel braking system.
TEKONSHA PRODIGY
Inertia-Activated Trailer Brake Control for 1-4 Axles.

We can alter according to weight and strength of braking applied as requirred, it is set up so that the trailer brakes start to apply just before the towing vehicles brakes apply so that the towed unit is not pushing into the towing vehicle as you are trying to stop whilst at the same time not locking up the brakes so the unit skids.

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Big Thanks

A massive thank you to all who left kind comments, I have passed on your kind wishes to my parents :thumb: They are resting after such a busy weekend...bless them :Smile: mind you so am I :roflmto:

I will now try and respond to those posts that require it ... may take some time :Smile:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
to name or not to name

I did ask my dad again, if I could name them but he insisted I didn't and said he would see what happend at the Newbury show (if they are there, that is).

He said he felt a bit sorry for them really as they thought they had the lead product so it was probably just an impulse act.....:Eeek:

I have to respect his wishes at this point but will work on him ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
Correct

Sounds very much as if this unit works in a similar fashion to my 5th wheel braking system.TEKONSHA PRODIGY
Inertia-Activated Trailer Brake Control for 1-4 Axles.

We can alter according to weight and strength of braking applied as requirred, it is set up so that the trailer brakes start to apply just before the towing vehicles brakes apply so that the towed unit is not pushing into the towing vehicle as you are trying to stop whilst at the same time not locking up the brakes so the unit skids.

Yes, that's correct Chatter, it's a tried and tested method in the US and is the safest method as you know, you will have to get the correct setting for the van & toad when you first start out but after that, the settings stay the same. And yes it stops the brakes locking and skidding but better still...stops the toad bashing into the back of the MH... I can imagine that would be a scary (not to mention damaging) experience...the toad bashing against the MH :Eeek: I don't know if that happens with other systems though, I couldnt say.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Elvis it would seem they felt threatened by your dads system I do wish your dad would have let you name the scumbags as I am sure no one on here would want to deal with this sort of company, good luck to your dad:thumb:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
hidden

Then they've done you a big favour. If anyone can tamper with the gadget from outside you need to correct the design so any old t%%t out there can't do the same to you customers.

The pin does not protrude too much so is not easy to locate or tamper with... these nasty people had watched a demonstration so knew where it was because they had been shown.

If the pin is put back (as it would be normally) the servo would be switched off but they left it on the floor. It could not happen accidently either as it makes a noise, which alerts you.

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008
I agree to be honest, that if the product can be tampered with from the outside, sufficient to be able to flatten and battery or worse it should be re designed, unless it is a prototype.

I can imagine some one tinkering over night in an Aire and a similar set of circumstances occuring

Was there any literature or signage on the stand mentioning orther products or manufacturers?

Eddie

As as explained in last post, it can't easily be tampered with but another point is, if the car batt goes dead for another reason, such as if you left the lights on over night, e.g. then once connected to the MH again, the MH charges it up....charges continuously as MH is moving.

No there was nothing about other systems on the stand and the other systems were not put down or mentioned in a negative light at all as my dad refused to do that & quite right too :thumb: shame the rival didnt have the same attitude as customers were telling us that they were lying about my dads system, saying it didnt work! :Angry:

OP
OP
Elvis

Elvis

Free Member
Jun 13, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since Nov 2008

You have to find the correct setting when you first puchase the system but then the setting stays the same, until you change either MH or Toad; no need to 'twiddle'...:Eeek:

The emergency brake in cab releases the toad & the toad brakes to a controlled stop (back brake lights on), it does not stay connected to MH so does not need to stop MH too :Doh:

And, the servo brake must stay on until the pin is replaced, when the toad is recovered. Remember, the servo is only continously activated, if the pin is pulled out and this only happens if the toad breaks away from the MH... it wouldnt be very safe if the toad breaks away but only stops for "seconds" (which also means that the toads brake lights would also go off)....why is that a problem I hear you cry? :whatthe: Because the toad must stay stopped until recovered! :Doh: What if it breaks away going down hill e.g...near a cliff e.g....near a school playground e.g..need I go on :Eeek:.....mmmmm....

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I had this system or very similar in America. Travelled 56000 miles in all 48 states it was brilliant especially coming down the Rockies.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back