Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
3 network simm cards £8.45 with 3 gig of data ideal for dongle use and 90 day expiry. Fantastic deal
Link Removed

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Forgive me for being dense - could I just buy one of these, wack it in my dongle and away we go? Is it as simple as that?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brilliant, thanks.

I've a 3G sim and I think it's £10 to top up 1G for one month.

This will do me all summer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
3 network simm cards £8.45 with 3 gig of data ideal for dongle use and 90 day expiry. Fantastic deal
Link Removed

I have recently been buying 1 gb sim cards on "3" for an average of £2.60 each. 1Gb vaild for 30 days. These are intoductory sim cards. When they expire you have to top them up at normal rates, eg 1Gb is £10, 3Gb is £15. So just throw them away and pop a new one in your dongle.

I also bought 10 x Vodafone 3Gb sim cards, valid 90 days, for £40 , so only £4 each for 3Gb.
All bought of e-bay and working fine.
I give most of them to the crew on the ship for when we have UK network signals, so they get online.

Note these are data only sims, so no use for texts or calls.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Forgive me for being dense - could I just buy one of these, wack it in my dongle and away we go? Is it as simple as that?

I think so...my existing 3 dongle/software automatically logs me in when I want to top-up, check my balance, etc. and I presume that's tied to the phone number on the SIM. What happens when you add a 2nd SIM/number, I'm not sure...

...so I'm going to find out :pray:

I've a 3G sim and I think it's £10 to top up 1G for one month.

It is...and my existing 30 days/1G (of which I've only used about 200MB :Doh:) runs out 24 hours before I head off next week :Angry:

I've ordered one...hopefully it'll turn up in time.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

[QUOTE=1_man_and_his_dob(lo);418490]I think so...my existing 3 dongle/software automatically logs me in when I want to top-up, check my balance, etc. and I presume that's tied to the phone number on the SIM. What happens when you add a 2nd SIM/number, I'm not sure...

...so I'm going to find out :pray:

If you have a 3 dongle it will accept any 3 sim card.:thumb:

You could also unlock your dongle so you can swop sim cards around. I unlocked my dongle which I had bought for travelling in the Phillippines. It was a Huawei same as 3 use here in UK, but originally locked to "Smart" network in Phillippines.

Now I pop in 3 or vodafone when in UK, depending on which has the best signal, and I swop sim cards when working in Europe. You just have to add networks and set up the APN etc, user id and password (if they have one , not all do). You can download all this info from the net...

Simples..:thumb::thumb::thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My current dongle is T Mobile. I assume I would have to get it unlocked?

More than likely.
You could just test it by popping in another network's sim from someone else and see if it works.

There was a time most phones sold at Carphone Warehouse were unlocked, but I think most dongles were tied to one network...

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
3 Dongle

We have been buying the 3 sim card with 3gb- they last for 90 days.
I am on my third one now.
Try looking on Amazon my last sim card only cost £6.45
We use it full time we have cancelled our Broadband with Virgin

Sue:thumb:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I'm about to burst with frustration. You all sound so knowledgeable about this stuff but there are many of us who are sitting here open-mouthed. So my mobile is with vodaphone and my broadband, at home, is part of my Sky deal. So if we went off to France, say, for a month of two, what would you suggest. At the moment, I have Vodaphone passport whereby it costs me 75p to make a call (back to UK) or to receive a call. I don't really have internet access over there unless I come across a McD or a camping site like Les Gentians near Briancon, where I just logged on, had a look and there was access (for 8 euros per day). Any good suggestions would be really useful. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm about to burst with frustration. You all sound so knowledgeable about this stuff but there are many of us who are sitting here open-mouthed. So my mobile is with vodaphone and my broadband, at home, is part of my Sky deal. So if we went off to France, say, for a month of two, what would you suggest. At the moment, I have Vodaphone passport whereby it costs me 75p to make a call (back to UK) or to receive a call. I don't really have internet access over there unless I come across a McD or a camping site like Les Gentians near Briancon, where I just logged on, had a look and there was access (for 8 euros per day). Any good suggestions would be really useful. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

Hi Ivy.

Unfortunately mobile internet using an unlocked dongle or phone, with local sim cards is still expensive in France. I'm still looking out for a reasonable deal there. I already have cheap local sim cards for Belgium, Holland and Germany.

As you are with Vodafone you could ask them to put you on "Vodafone Traveller", which is free to opt into. You can also do it yourself online.
That allows you up to 25 mb per day (0000-2400) for £2. If you have an iPhone or other smartphone you can access your e-mail, use Yahoo Messenger, Facebook etc and a do a little bit of surfing within that limit. They also send you a warning before you would exceed the 25mb limit.

I'm still looking for a good local sim card for internet in France. In Holland and Germany I can get unlimited daily access for €2.50 per day. If I find one for France I will post details here or if anyone already knows a good French provider it would be good to hear.:thumb:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
This page is usefull for the unlocked

Link Removed

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have just taken rolling contract fo£ 10 a month and then added data traveller for £10 extra par month while on my travels through Europe for 2. Months.gives me 25mb a day with a txt message to tell me when I an getting close to the limit fromVodafone. If tears any help;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back