Flat screen TV 12 volt stabiliser (1 Viewer)

Aug 16, 2007
Funster No
Press

Got it John
Press search and the price pops up!!!!!:Doh::Doh::Doh::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Just looked at my spelling in the original posting:Doh::Blush::Blush:

Digger Driver

Free Member
Oct 4, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Your 12 volt battery is a natural stabilizer!
Don't believe all that crap about things blowing up!
There is not one recorded malfunction due to an un regulated power supply!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

That'll be why the 240v supply unit is regulated and stabilized then !!!!!!!!!!

Geoff

Free Member
Nov 20, 2007
Evesham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
on & off for 20 yrs
That'll be why the 240v supply unit is regulated and stabilized then !!!!!!!!!!

I think what D.D. means that if you only run directly off the battery you are unlikely to have a problem. Surge or over voltage problems only arise when running the equipment and applying a charge, i.e. running engine or mains charger, at the same time.

Regards Geoff.​

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp

I beg to differ. I've seen the result and seen the distress when the warranty claim was rejected. But then being in the business you tend to come across these things.
A secondary reason for using a voltage regulator is to avoid the tv dropping out everytime the heating kicks in or the water pump turned on.

Regards
Doug

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I beg to differ. I've seen the result and seen the distress when the warranty claim was rejected. But then being in the business you tend to come across these things.
A secondary reason for using a voltage regulator is to avoid the tv dropping out everytime the heating kicks in or the water pump turned on.

Regards
Doug

Agreed there, it's a bitch having to switch on every time someone wants a pee, espescially when you drink as much bee, em cola as I do.

Also v handy for small chargers that need a regulated supply, you can get them with multi 'ends' now by the way although that was always easily overcome anyway.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Amperor often have them on eBay with a buy it price & make an offer. I got one for £36 with free postage. As said it keeps the voltage constant, another advantage I don't have to bother with the mains adapters for use when on hook up when the voltage is over 14 volts :Eeek: I just run everything off the 12 volt. I even made an adapter from a poundland 4 way cigarette adapter, I just plug the amperor into it & can run the TV, sat. digi box or freeview hard disk recorder off the it.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Your 12 volt battery is NOT a natural stabiliser at all, what it can do is act as a smoother to take out transient voltage pulses, not the same thing at all!

Having been "in the trade" for nine years, the last five in business for myself I can honestly say I've seen loads of domestic TVs buggered up by over voltage. The first ones I saw were about seven or eight years ago and were "Manhatten" branded and supposedly purpose designed for leisure vehicle use. I lost count of how many came back with burned out back lighting circuits due to over voltage and the manufacturers walked away form all of them as warranty claims.

D.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I just picked one up for one of ours that is going to some festival in wales - he was running on a generator, so picked one up to smooth out any spikes. We had one blow on one of the hire vans last year due to this.

I think it was £36 with free overnight delivery from snellyvision.:thumb:

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Mine was less than a tenner from Maplin, no doubt someone will say it cant be any good for a tenner.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I looked at the Maplins ones & if you read the info about it you will find that the 12 volts (which is what you want ) isn't controlled unless it's the input is 24 volts :Eeek:.
Have you checked it with the engine running to see what the voltage is?

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I looked at the Maplins ones & if you read the info about it you will find that the 12 volts (which is what you want ) isn't controlled unless it's the input is 24 volts :Eeek:.

The 12 volt adapter I bought from Maplin does regulate at 12volts (output current max 3A), so maybe they have changed to a different unit. Part code A92JH currently £19.99.

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
Have you checked the output with the engine running ?
Just read a question asking if it regulates the 12 volts & they say it does, but I'm sure I read on the pack that it doesn't for 12 volts but I hope I'm wrong.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Has any one ever had a TV damaged by running it direct from the battery? and I mean you directly not "I know a guy who had a brother whose son had one....."

Could this be just another urban myth started by the manufacturer of the gadget and of course there is always some one to buy one, then embellish it to justify his purchase.

Doug...

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger

If you check the spec it is NOT a 24V input only 12v. It also states regullated accross all voltages.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Has any one ever had a TV damaged by running it direct from the battery? and I mean you directly not "I know a guy who had a brother whose son had one....."

Could this be just another urban myth started by the manufacturer of the gadget and of course there is always some one to buy one, then embellish it to justify his purchase.

Doug...
Been running various tvs for 9 yrs wired direct into Ariel plug without a problem - pic goes off but leaves sound on giving plenty of warning of low battery :thumb:
terry

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
I'm just looking at my one now and the input range is from 10v-28v Output 12.6v so they're great for 24v trucks as well, one of the reasons I bought one.

They really are the mutt's nuts. :thumb:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that

Doug...

Well there was no response so I think we have the start of an urban myth>

Doug...

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
we are talking about lcd are we terry ? cathode ray ones are not very sensitive

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:thumb: only ever had LCD in any of the vans - 5 in total - had this grundig tv/ dvd combo for the last 3 yrs no problem at all
terry

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Kinelltell, It's a Grundig I've got as well, DVD,Card reader USB key reader, 19" wide screenDigital jobby, £149 maybe £159 from Argos. Kinell, It's a bargain :thumb:woteverinnit?

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
so 5 in 9 years ? , so , on average , you have to change it after less than 2 years terry?

do they wear out?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
sell them with van
terry
edit usually fitted into a purpose built cupboard that fits the tv

Last edited:

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well , bit of a gap while I researched , very difficult to get good information !

but I have an answer which satisfies me

it all depends :Sad:

it would seem that as long as the voltage is under 13 volts you should be ok ; same applies to things like LED's which suffer a massive loss of life if they get more voltage than that ...however in the case of LED's are you going to notice ? their full life is so long you will probably have changed your vehicle first even if you suffer an 80% loss

now I can't speak for anyone else but the normal charging voltage from the engine is about 14 volts , so clearly no TV when the engine is running ...not a problem for me

however , engine off , but solar panels connected [ permanently ] the voltage batteries stay at 13.7 volts while it is daylight
so decision made ...amperor are going to get some of my money

oh , hang about , better check amperor's spec sheet before I decide that !

let's see ...will upgrade the voltage when the battery level drops too low for the TV...not sure I agree with that , would run them lower than I like , but ok , rather have the TV go off though

power loss by using the stabilizer ...up to 20% ????? well that's not for me , normally I don't have EHU ....so running all the bits and pieces , even with 2 x 100 A/H batteries and 3 solar panels , has to be minimised

so I need another solution ,one acceptable to me at any rate , so

no running engine while watching TV

fit isolator switch on solar panel feed , will do a test to see how long it takes before the voltage drops below 13v , but at a guess 15 minutes should do it easily ; if the batteries start to drop can easily turn panels back on if the sun is shining , and the controller constantly measures the batteries and is in full view

got to source a suitable switch now

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
well , ran my tests today , hot and sunny so panels blasting out the amps

13.8 volts

disconnected panels waited 10 minutes

13.3 volts

turned on tv , kept watching meter , within 2 minutes

12.7 volts

turned off TV , waited 5 minutes and switched on

12.7 volts

so it looks as though the excess voltage of a recently charged battery drops quickly under load , then doesn't re-mount

plugged in mains , left panels off, left for 2 hours , repeated tests ...same result
checked engine battery as well [ mains charger charges that as well ] dropped quickly to 13.3 like the leisure batteries , and then presumably dropped slowly to 12.7 without any load

as you will guess , all my batteries are in first rate condition

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back