Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Hi

Im looking at having a look round North wales for a few days over Easter,well to be truthful my Wife would like to go!!. Never been !! Anybody got any suggestions nice Rural locations with nice pubs ,stopover etc. We have loads of power so don't need EHU

Not into busy caravan parks !! :Blush::Blush:

Thanks in advance

Alan:thumb::thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
A nice place to stay would be LLigwy beach on Anglesey... Never camped there but its nice enought, I think there is a charge...

may-21-2008-the-beach-at-lligwy-bay-anglesey.jpg

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...3.365919,-4.260979&spn=0.111035,0.417137&z=12

ShiftZZ

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
being a born and bred Meirionydd lad...witha family tree that spreads all over north wales (and scotland and ireland and cornwall - true british celt i am ::bigsmile:)

There is a lot to offer depending on what you want - it has everything from beaches, hills, real mountains, seaside towns, market towns, stacks of history, castles etc, scenary to die for, forests, rivers, lakes - and bara brith....

there was a comment in one of the sunday rags in the holdiay section a while ago about it being like a mini europe - just without the europeans!!

In the North - Conway valley is superb, obviously Snowdonia, views a plenty, although in main holiday times snowdonia will be chock a block, Anglesey has some of the best beaches (and kept secrets on that front) in the UK

To the west is the llyn Peninsula, the place that time has sort of forgotten - if you like cornwall you'll like this area - apart from maybe the butlins in Pwllhelli!! take a boat trip over to Bardsey island - the island of a thousand saints - not much to do there but worth it anyway!!

To the east the denbyshire and clwydian range area area is quite stunning as well, and often ignored, look around ruthin and the surrounding areas some lovely little places to mooch about in

And obvousley the best of all......around Meirionydd -
the Mawddach estuary in particular is stunning at most times of the year as is the dyfi estuary

Walking a plenty in Coed y brenin, or take a trip up Cadair Idris - has some of the most stunning views - and is nice and quiet unlikely the snowdonia mountains (darnit :Doh:- secrets out, my dad will not be happy - its 'his' mountain! - he still climbs it now and hes nearly 80, but then again he still does 10day treks across scotland with a rucksack and tent on his back - i hope its genetic! :Blush:)

theres bala lake, Talyllyn lake or Trawsfynnydd lake (where the Arthur film with Sean Connery was filmed..) and a few more that i cant remember now -

youve got the talyllyn railway - inspiration for the Thomas the tank books, Ffestiniog steam railway which is a cracking couple of hours ambling up a valley to an old slate mining twon - the welsh version of the wild west, but not as tame on a saturday night!!- or Fairbourne railway which is, well its a little steam train and thats about it - but a different way to get over to Barmouth, with the use of a very small rowing boat - which gives you great views of the mawdach estuary...the south end of barmouth is lovely, the north end is dependent on personal taste i think - i prefer the south end caus' that is where i was born..you can overnight apparently in the seafront carpark as well..never tried myself so dont really know

and theres Port Meirion - well worth a look, but too busy for my liking in the holiday periods

lots of small sites to use, some are in breathtaking areas (Cai Du Corner for one - although the turn down to it is 'interesting') most are happy for you to just turn up.

Wilding isnt exactly a no no, but you take your chances as with most places, all depends on the national park warden , local police etc etc

Hmm - think i know what were going to be doing this year...thanks for the prompt:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
How about starting off in Chester - Food and Drink festival. Then travel into North Wales.

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
When I was there two summers ago, you could stay overnight in the carpark at the base of Snowdon (Opposite the railway station). The carpark warden said that you pay for the day and they let motorhomes stay the night.

We had a cracking time using the CC site at Trawsfynydd as a base. We also used the CC site on Anglsey (the small one - Cae Mawr) a very small site without facilities, very nice site too.

Went to Bedd Gelert, Boat on Menai Strait, Snowdon, Bala. The slate mines in festiniog were great too.

Was one of the best holidays we have had.

Hope you enjoy!

OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
OP
OP
alcorn54

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Comments

Thanks all I appreciate the time taken to reply. I am definitely going to visit a good few of these locations . :thumb::thumb: Brilliant . Thanks Alan::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Have fun. If you want a driveway to stay on at the Gateway to North Wales just say so.

We are about 30 miles from the entrance, nice easy place to stop before setting out to discover North Wales.

We are away a bit over Easter but, just let us know.

No charge of course,

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
If you decide to visit the Lleyn, there's a nice, quiet campsite right at the end, through Aberdaron, past the big caravan site and just before the cattle grid on to the headland opposite Bardsey Island.

Or, further south, depending on the size of your m/h, there's a fantastically positioned site at Cae Du, between Fairbourne and Towyn (there's a picture in our blog - link below).

:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andi4x4

Free Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Alan,

I know you said "No built up sites" but, My ony experience of camping in North Wales came last year, when SWMBO and I stayed in the tent at Cwm Cadnant Vally in Caernarfon. The site is right in the town, on the edge of the town centre, but, once in the site, you would never know !

We spent 10 days there in mid August - middle of the school hols- a few (but not many) reasonably well behaved children around, mostly caravans, and a couple of M/Hs, with a few tents, relatively small site I think, which looks even smaller than it is, as the whole site is divided up into distinct areas by trees and a stream.

Supermarkets and pub nearby, and a short walk in the town to Caernarfon Castle and the harbour.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the owners are very freindly and eager to help !

Website - http://www.cwmcadnantvalley.co.uk/

We will be returning there at some point once I have the M/H back on the road !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back