1988 Hymer battery/power panel (1 Viewer)

andi4x4

Free Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Guys, I have this panel above the cooker in my Hymer. I have figured out that "Batterie 1" is the vehicle battery and "Batterie 2" is the leisure battery. I have also figured out that "Licht" and "Lufter" are Light and Fan, and that "Aus" and "Beleuchtung" is just to turn the voltmeter and ammeter lights on and off.

But, can anyone the following Q's for me ?

1) What does the unmarked switch in the middle do?
2) Which way should the "Batterie" switch be set when running on the 240v hook-up in order to charge the leisure battery ?
3) Does the Ammeter show the current load on the system at a given moment in time, or charge remaining in the battery ?

Thanks in advance !

Andi

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Guys, I have this panel above the cooker in my Hymer. I have figured out that "Batterie 1" is the vehicle battery and "Batterie 2" is the leisure battery. I have also figured out that "Licht" and "Lufter" are Light and Fan, and that "Aus" and "Beleuchtung" is just to turn the voltmeter and ammeter lights on and off.

2) Which way should the "Batterie" switch be set when running on the 240v hook-up in order to charge the leisure battery ?
3) Does the Ammeter show the current load on the system at a given moment in time, or charge remaining in the battery ?

Thanks in advance !

Andi

Link Removed
hi andi,
is the batt 1 / batt 2 switch a single 3 position switch or two seperate ones ?

if a single then batt 2 will charge and connect your leisure battery.

batt 1 will charge and connect your engine battery.

the center position is power off to both batteries (no charge/no connect) and you'll be running 12v from your 12v charger / power supply only, via your mains hookup.

the ammeter will probably show present usage/drain....not whats left in the battery, that usually a volt meter.

if the above is the case then you can switch to your engine battery in an emergency.....totally flat leisure battery etc but only for the minimum time needed as its your engine battery getting flattened,

Doh!!! just seen your pic

the center switch may be a pump master switch

the ammeter looks like a simple charge /discharge meter.
needle should be center with no hookup or 12v turned on.

green = charge current
red = current drain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

andi4x4

Free Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks Pappajohn,

That all makes sense to me - "Batterie" switch is a centre off type - good to know I have the option to charge or use either battery.

Centre switch seems to do nothing at all.

Volt meter works well.

Ammeter stays hard over to full green at all times - battery connected or not. 240v hook-up makes no difference to ammeter reading, nor does loading by turning everything on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
try turning on a tap and then operate the center switch.

if water flow slows to a stop, its the pump switch.

i'd be very surprised if it doesnt have a master switch somewhere....what if you spring a leak !!!! (just thought, you may have a submersible pump and microswitched taps so there wont be a master switch)

its just possible the center switch could be either an awning/porch light or for an electric step.

if battery disconnected and no hookup then it looks like the ammeter is knackered.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Pappajohn might have taught me something here.

I have a 1987 Hymer 660 with a panel above the cooker.

I thought when on hook up, the charge only went to the leisure battery(s). I did not know you could charge up your engine battery as well...

I use the battery switch (which has no centre position on my panel) to get a voltage read out of each battery... (leisure or engine)

The ammeter shows the amount going out (and in when on hook up) to the leisure battery(s).

I have a pump switch which shows a small red light when it is switched on.

I also have a switch which gives me the level of the freshwater tank in one position and that of the waste water tank in the other.

Sadly I can't seem to open the picture so am unable to see if it is the same as mine...

JJ

Whoops.... sorry... just seen the photo and mine is a different panel... longer with more switches... (I think)

Just looked at the brochure pictures... I have TWO panels... my memory is next to useless... the tank gauges are on the second (right as I look) panel...

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

andi4x4

Free Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
try turning on a tap and then operate the center switch.

if water flow slows to a stop, its the pump switch.

i'd be very surprised if it doesnt have a master switch somewhere....what if you spring a leak !!!! (just thought, you may have a submersible pump and microswitched taps so there wont be a master switch)

Yep, my taps are microswitched with an external pump ( pump under vehicle with FWT inside under a bench seat), however - there is a very poorly retrofitted switch on the outside of the wardrobe near the heating thermostat, which I discovered is a masterswitch for the pump - I have removed it as it is very poorly fitted and very unsightly.

its just possible the center switch could be either an awning/porch light or for an electric step.

No electric step on mine ( got that horrible handle which is only any good for retracting the step and not deploying it ! )

I do have an awning light, although, it does not work - will check it out with the test meter tomorrow against that centre switch.

if battery disconnected and no hookup then it looks like the ammeter is knackered.

Thought as much - will see if I can test it tomorrow - will get a new one if it is fubar'd.

Thanks again for the advice !

OP
OP
A

andi4x4

Free Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi JJ, Thanks for your input !

I have a 1987 Hymer 660 with a panel above the cooker.

I thought when on hook up, the charge only went to the leisure battery(s). I did not know you could charge up your engine battery as well......

Now, I thought this would be the case, but, as Pappajohn states maybe it charges both - I should be able to check tomorrow with the test meter if I disconnect the vehicle battery whilst on hook-up and put the meter across the battery leads.
I use the battery switch (which has no centre position on my panel) to get a voltage read out of each battery... (leisure or engine)...

Same here, only mine has the centre off position too. Maybe that extra position on the switch is the difference between charging between charging the vehicle battery or not ? Again, can check that tomorrow with the meter.
The ammeter shows the amount going out (and in when on hook up) to the leisure battery(s)....

This is as I thought - shows current system load - only mine doesn't !
I have a pump switch which shows a small red light when it is switched on....

No lights on my panel other than the backlights in the two gauges.
I also have a switch which gives me the level of the freshwater tank in one position and that of the waste water tank in the other....I have TWO panels... the tank gauges are on the second (right as I look) panel...
I don't have this second panel, although, I was looking at tank level meters on ebay earlier thinking it would be handy to know whats in the fresh water tank......

OP
OP
A

andi4x4

Free Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Guys,

Just a quick follow-up to the charging question - I have checked with my multimeter and the onboard charger does not charge the vehicle battery with the "Batterie" switch in any position - it charges the leisure battery only.

Not been able to test the ammeter - may just have to replace it, I think.

I have discovered that the centre (unmarked) three position switch does indeed switch the awning light on - after I fitted a new light that is !

Hycon

Free Member
Oct 6, 2008
N.E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
just starting
You are able to switch the charging system off and on.This switch is on the electroblock next to the passanger seat( LHD vehicle)under the front wooden lift up lid where the fuses are located ein =on aus=off Check this it may be in the off position which will mean no reading when on hook up Sid

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

Thanks in advance !

Andi

Link Removed

On my 1992 Haymer S700

Starting from the left
Up is Frischwasser = Fresh Water & Down is Abwasser = Waste Water
This readout is on the same meter as
Battery 1 = Vehicle Battery and Battery 2 Leisure battery voltages.

Centre is a self centering non latching up/down switch. I have not found a use for yet. On a 1994 vehicle I saw this switch matked + for up and - for down.?

Lufter is cooker fan
Licht is light and operated the light above the sink. It is a two way switch with the one just inside the habitation door. This is also where the step switch is located on mine with light on the dash when down.

The main switch is near the drivers left knee. It has a big red handle and cuts all habitation electrics.

The meters as shown show just over half a tank of waste water and a massive charge to the batteries.

Both batteries charge when the vehicle is running but only the leisure battery charges on hook up. I have a fused link (30A) between the leisure and main batteries which I put the fuse in when I want to trickle charge the main battery on hook up and remove before staring the vehicle. If you forget you may blow the fuse but thats all.

OP
OP
A

andi4x4

Free Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You are able to switch the charging system off and on.This switch is on the electroblock next to the passanger seat( LHD vehicle)under the front wooden lift up lid where the fuses are located ein =on aus=off Check this it may be in the off position which will mean no reading when on hook up Sid

Hi Hycon,

No switch under the step - just direct connection to the battery, and a motorsport type isolator on the dash - all this does, however, is isolate the battery from the charger - I can still run the M/H on 12v whilst on hook-up whether batteries connected or not, and the isolator position does not affect the supply from the charger at all, regardless of whether it is on or off.

OP
OP
A

andi4x4

Free Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi John,

I don't have water level sensors on mine, although I am considering fitting them !

I would have thought that your non-latching switch would have been for the electric step, but, you mentioned later that there is another switch for that ! I don't have an electric step:Sad:

Your red handle sounds like the same thing fitted to mine for isolating the vehicle.

Both batteries charge when the vehicle is running but only the leisure battery charges on hook up. I have a fused link (30A) between the leisure and main batteries which I put the fuse in when I want to trickle charge the main battery on hook up and remove before staring the vehicle. If you forget you may blow the fuse but thats all.

Now this sounds more like an "aftermarket" modification to me - I wonder if it would be possible to to rig up some kind of relay operated circuit to charge the vehicle/chassis battery only when connected to the 240v ? Hmmm..... !

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi John,

I don't have water level sensors on mine, although I am considering fitting them !

I would have thought that your non-latching switch would have been for the electric step, but, you mentioned later that there is another switch for that ! I don't have an electric step:Sad:

Your red handle sounds like the same thing fitted to mine for isolating the vehicle.

Now this sounds more like an "aftermarket" modification to me - I wonder if it would be possible to to rig up some kind of relay operated circuit to charge the vehicle/chassis battery only when connected to the 240v ? Hmmm..... !

I have blown up your picture as I should have done at first and the switches are in different locations to mine. My end meter is duel water levels and batteries

The one on the right is labled BELEUCHTUNG which translates to Lighting.
Licht is also light

Yes the fuse link is my own fitment. Simple but it works. No need for circuits and other connections to the charger. Put the fuse in to operate pull the fuse at anytime to disconnect. This way both sets of batteries come up to the same level. If you are going to discharge the leisure battery such as on site with no hookup then leave the fuse out.

OP
OP
A

andi4x4

Free Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes the fuse link is my own fitment. Simple but it works. No need for circuits and other connections to the charger. Put the fuse in to operate pull the fuse at anytime to disconnect. This way both sets of batteries come up to the same level. If you are going to discharge the leisure battery such as on site with no hookup then leave the fuse out.

I think it's a great idea - one I shall pinch myself , if you don't mind ! Thinking of some sort of relay set-up that automatically connects the vehicle battery when you connect the hook-up and then disconnects it when hook-up is unplugged or the vehicle engine is started - will need to think on it for a while to formulate my evil plan ! ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back