LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Earlier this morning I had a phone call from british gas explaining that my central heating boiler was due for its annual service and as they had an engineer available could they come and do it today before 13:00 hrs

No issue as I was at home (making cakes to take to Peterborough) so said yes.

Hour or so later Gas engineer turns up and does the service. Tells me there is sludge build up on the system and the boiler etc was overheating. Said system will need flushing.

Ok had this done some years ago when the boiler was replaced. I asked if this was covered on my contract. No says he, it would be an extra.

Tell them to send me a quote. I'll give you a verbal quote now says he, it's a standard cost of £600.

Later just before he is due to leave, he writes out a writen quote and says it will be £550 as a good will gesture.

He writes his mobile number on the top of the quote and says to phone him if I want to proceed and he will arrange every thing.

Later I start to wonder is this an example of BG trying to provide a more personal service or perhaps is it a little bit of free enterprise on behalf of the BG engineer?

Any thoughts, (even if it's to tell me about paranoia), before I start talk to British Gas.

Peter

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Strangely

I had the same phone call from British Gas about my annual Gas Service. Engineer came the day after the phone call. My system didnt need flushing but did need topping up.

Maybe he was hoping you would ring him to do the job. Have you checked with British Gas that its not covered under your contract?

Sonja

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I know nothing about it but I suspect that flushing out a water system cannot be too difficult for a top engineer like you Peter...

...on the other hand, with your immense wealth, it might be more fun to watch a slave do it while you are sipping a G&T. :Smile:

JJ :winky:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Oh dear, sounds like someone could be more enterprising than perhaps he should be. We could see things like this happening as money starts getting harder for young families, not saying it right.
Strangely I have been on to British Gas today sorting out our meter readings, have to say their on line service is one of the best I have come across, very user friendly.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Have a look at this link for a comparison price from another supplier :Smile:

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Heh Pete don't worry about BG doing it I have my tools in the back of the car lately, could nip over with my toolbelt and hammer FOC:winky:

Be good practice for me:whistle:

BTW I think maybe he is doing a bit on the side:winky:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
i seem to remember being told our system needed flushing a couple of years ago when we had a problem with our boiler was told that the problem was with the expansion tank and so before repair work was carried out the system would need to be flushed as this was guarrenteed to be the root of the problem (muck in pipes type thing).The repair man didnt do system flush but gave me a card of a company that did. Cost over £500 so i watched like a hawk when the company came and flushed the system. No word of a lie not a drop of gunge or discoloured water came out of that system. If your system is not that old or has been done in last few years they are supposed to put a liquid in that prevents the gunge. I would say that our system had that in before the flush and the guy put more in once he had flushed the system.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
i seem to remember being told our system needed flushing a couple of years ago when we had a problem with our boiler was told that the problem was with the expansion tank and so before repair work was carried out the system would need to be flushed as this was guarrenteed to be the root of the problem (muck in pipes type thing).The repair man didnt do system flush but gave me a card of a company that did. Cost over £500 so i watched like a hawk when the company came and flushed the system. No word of a lie not a drop of gunge or discoloured water came out of that system. If your system is not that old or has been done in last few years they are supposed to put a liquid in that prevents the gunge. I would say that our system had that in before the flush and the guy put more in once he had flushed the system.

You should have called me Maggie:winky:

I going to be doing a little on the side now:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Actually I could nip over in the morning and look at your pipes:yeah:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
if your radiators are hot top and bottom
and your hot water is as hot as you need it
i wouldnt bother assuming he made sure
this was so when on site

before you have it get an alternative quote first

when i worked for them 18 years ago they were just
changing us from engineer to engineer/salesmen
felt like we had sell somthing

i dont trade with in any way shape or form now

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
The engineer is taking a chance if he's hoping to do a foreigner - British Gas are extremely strict on this. I have a relative who is a British Gas engineer and he says it's instant dismissal for anyone who does any work for himself and gets paid for it.

We had our system fliushed out about 6 years ago, cost then was £500 (ten radiators) because we kept on wrecking pumps which they were not prepared to replace any more unless we had the system flushed. Took a day and a half to do the job.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I would have my doubts that your system needs doing, all these contracts look ok but in my opinion are a big con telling you you need things to rob you blind

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Just had my system flushed out end January, pipe onto drain valve and he had a cupa or two whilst it ran out into drain ,topped through Combi boiler then drained again time 4 hrs . Als Serviced boiler . £120..local oftec engineer comes yearly .:thumb:

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Oh dear, sounds like someone could be more enterprising than perhaps he should be. We could see things like this happening as money starts getting harder for young families, not saying it right.
Strangely I have been on to British Gas today sorting out our meter readings, have to say their on line service is one of the best I have come across, very user friendly.

Hi Carol

This sort of thing has been happening for years. It's not just something that is happening because we're getting into harder times. My recommendation to anyone in this situation, where they are quoting for work not covered by their warranties etc, is get on to the Gas Safe website, look up a Sole Trader, and get a second opinion and a quote from him. IF you do need a power flush then chances are he will be much cheaper anyway.

Having said all that, I had a reason to phone British Gas up a few weeks ago and I agree their customer service was excellent, very knowledgeable, curteous and helpful.

Hope this helps

Pammy

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I think they all on a bonus if they sign somebody up for a service of sorts, flushing generally is anywhere between £250 to £350 for a private engineer, also if I were spending the money I would recommend a Magnaclean fitted into your system on the boiler return. This is a magnetic device a bit like the oil filter on the engine , it attracts waterborne sludge in the system into the unit and when your gas safe man comes to service the boiler he can clean out the Magnaclean while he`s at it:thumb::thumb::thumb: Cheers Rob W

alcorn54

Free Member
Nov 21, 2010
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
£400 & £500.00

I honestly don't get this £400 or £500.00 for a radiator system :Doh:flush.

I brought this up in the local last night ,and one of the lads is a gas engineer and he's adamant there's nothing magical or really technical involved in flushing the system.

They put a pipe on your drain valve put the other end in the sink or drain ,making sure of course heating off and the undue the bleed valves to allow water to flow(there's a little more to it but you know what I'm on about). Then top it back up turn system on to pump round and then drain again repeat,and bleed job done. . A couple of hours work.Only parts needed is your water ,and maybe an anti sludge liquid) I have 11 radiators in my house the down stairs 6 are the old school type massive . Never had a problem 4hrs easy work max mostly drinking tea and waiting for system to empty x £30.00 per hour £120.00 . Also what in the sludge is metal?? a magnetic filter ??

£500.00 is over a £120.00 per hour.

Nah nobody pay this amount surely . :cry::cry:

Last edited:

Jaygee32

Free Member
Oct 9, 2009
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 1976
I've had calls telling me my boiler needs servicing and system overhaul etc. They'd find it hard to do as I don't have central heating!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back