Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I know the title will get many of you thinking the wrong thing but this is of the H2o type.:Doh:
The Alan Rogers guide says not to drink the water in France, any of you drink the water there or do you buy bottled?
Sorry if this sounds a stupid question but as this is our first time we dont know these things:RollEyes:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I know the title will get many of you thinking the wrong thing but this is of the H2o type.:Doh:
The Alan Rogers guide says not to drink the water in France, any of you drink the water there or do you buy bottled?
Sorry if this sounds a stupid question but as this is our first time we dont know these things:RollEyes:

We have done both, i will drink the water in a restaurant if the locals are drinking it(carafes usually) but buy large bottles for use otherwise for drinking (tapwater for dishes )

We stayed in Paris once in a apartment and found strange little fishies in the loo in the mornings .... so only bottled water all round there :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have a fab time....... water is very cheap in France

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
We have only traveled northern france & normandy we found water fine for drinking.:thumb:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
We have done both, i will drink the water in a restaurant if the locals are drinking it(carafes usually) but buy large bottles for use otherwise for drinking (tapwater for dishes )

We stayed in Paris once in a apartment and found strange little fishies in the loo in the mornings .... so only bottled water all round there :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have a fab time....... water is very cheap in France

:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:probably the people before you got rid of the children pets!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp

Trish please , look at me right in the eyes... ok now you can drink the water! i would never tell you this if i had the slightest doubt ok? i give it to the babies i care so....no prob . Now if you happen to see in an old village in the mountains, "eau non potable", then don't drink it. that's all you need to know indeed!

Amicalement

Frankie

PS : just wrote a letter to that rogers guide... who knows i might get a job! lol i told him, when you don't know ... ask me instead of saying stupid things!:thumb:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We fill our on board tank from the local water taps wherever we are and drink from it. No problems. This is our home and we use it as such.

We have been in UK, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, currently in southern Spain.

No problems in 5 years, the last one full timing.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Drunk it..washed in it..cooked with it..and even made tea with it:thumb:..I see no probs with the water in France...Where did the Alan Rogers guide get that one from I wonder!!

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
strange, I will never ever drink the water in France, Spain or even Italy.
In fact I will never even drink the water in the UK.

Why?

Because I would never drink out of my motorhome water tank.

Bottled water for me all the way.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
I remember being told not to drink the water in Europe about 30 years ago - I still drank it out of the taps even then :Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Probably more chance of the catching something from your storage system than the water itself. Static water in tanks and pipes at the correct temperature breeds Legionella bacteria and many others that can do you harm.:cry:

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Just got the reply from the Rogers guide!

Hi there Francoise
Thanks for getting in touch.
Just to say, I don't believe we DO say anything anywhere about not drinking French water.

We advise on campsites in France, and elsewhere, not on sanitary standards.

My guess is that you are reacting to something on the forum posted by someone else.

Merci de votre correspondence
Amicalement,
Russell

Ah pfffffffffff!

Never mind , at least Trish has answers which to me is the most important. I can imagine how confusing it must be when you read something like that in a book supposed to be "official". It is not the first time this question is asked, so not a silly question at all if i may add Trish . I do hope you didn't feel the answers any agressive towards YOU.
I would have asked as well if i had read something like that in a book , honest!
The best answers in anycase are haganap and hilldweller's ones according to me . Especially when you're going to a hot country . And even in bottle, water can get spoilt very easily. We are told not to give water in bottle to a baby after 20minutes after the opening of the bottle, if the bottle stayed outside. In summer the water stays ok only in the fridge.

Have a very nice trip Trish and Tez

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile::winky:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Its like the Caravan Club telling you not to wildcamp or use Aires as you will certainly be killed! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

What a load of tosh. I fill my van up all over Europe, drink the water and never been ill. Its 2011 Oh Please! not 1911.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
After talking to Tez about where he saw the statement about not drinking the water in France he says he saw it in the ACSI book in the french section page 398.
Thanks all for the advice on the water, looks as if they are wrong anyway.?
Just some of you dont drink the water from the tank anyway, we always drink from the tank but do put it through a water filter first, the jug you put in the fridge with the replacement cartridges.
So we will probably continue to do that except that you say the water is cheap anyway so might do that instead but none of you have come to any harm by the look of it.
Special thanks to frankie for contacting Alan Rogers and clearing that point up:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Who is this prat Rogers. EU water is as good as ours.
as Brian said french water is EU water and has to reach a certain standard of quality.

our water may exceed that standard but french water still meets it.

and as Frankie said....if you're in the backwoods some may not be safe to drink, but should always be signed as such.

bottled water is a fraction of the rip-off price we pay so if you're still not convinced, then buy bottles.....5ltr is most economical and probably the same price, or cheaper, as 1ltr here.

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973
bottle water is cheap and plentiful., and ensures if used for drinking and cooking no bad bellies which can ruin your holiday.

as others have stated you are more likely to be affected by whats in your tank rather than the local water supply., but that said your putting the local water supply into your own tank therefore you now have two unknowns.

do like we do wash with it.

cook with and drink bottled water its cheaper than a visit to the doctor or chemist.

enjoy your holiday!

we do the same in france, spain, germany, italy, portugal and ENGLAND!!!!!
regards Steve

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
After talking to Tez about where he saw the statement about not drinking the water in France he says he saw it in the ACSI book in the french section page 398.
Thanks all for the advice on the water, looks as if they are wrong anyway.?
Just some of you dont drink the water from the tank anyway, we always drink from the tank but do put it through a water filter first, the jug you put in the fridge with the replacement cartridges.
So we will probably continue to do that except that you say the water is cheap anyway so might do that instead but none of you have come to any harm by the look of it.
Special thanks to frankie for contacting Alan Rogers and clearing that point up:thumb:

AFAIK, the filter in the water jug will NOT filter out the nasty wee beasties that live in tanks, that could cause stomach upsets, so you are already taking more risks than you should.

EAU NON POTABLE = DO NOT DRINK is all you need to know

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I drink straight from the tank and have done for 2 years now. Last 2 vans had the Nature pure filter. I don't however drink from taps on campsites or aires as you never know if the person before you has been an inconsidered whatsit and used the fresh water tap to rinse out their thetford cassette.

The water should always be ok anywhere in the EU, it is just he hygene of other users that is suspect.:Sad:

Karl

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I drink straight from the tank and have done for 2 years now. Last 2 vans had the Nature pure filter. I don't however drink from taps on campsites or aires as you never know if the person before you has been an inconsidered whatsit and used the fresh water tap to rinse out their thetford cassette.

The water should always be ok anywhere in the EU, it is just he hygene of other users that is suspect.:Sad:

Karl

Three years full time and never used bottled water .. all over Europe including Morocco.

.. Nature Pure is the best buy you can make .. drink straight from the tank.
Also agree about dirty buggers using taps to rinse out porta potties, wash dogs, feet, you name it I've seen it done... words fail me.. :Angry:

To combat this risk I ALWAYS spray the tap and up inside the spout with bleach .. then run for a few seconds before connection hose.. and I don't care how many funny looks I get ..

Bottled water is one of the biggest cons ever devised... where do people think the bottling factory gets it's water from .. yip, the same source you find in any tap.. and do they imagine it is absolutely pure and free from bacteria ? If it were, it wouldn't have a 'sell buy' date .. PLUS manufacturing and transporting it is a huge waste of scarce resources, is a huge problem for landfill sites and also creates greenhouse gas..

Do your pocket and the planet a favour, buy a Nature Pure.. :thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
I accidentely filled up my tank with the yellow hose for the Elsan Flush on a CL at Christmas.:Eeek:

Flipping farmer watched me do it as well!

Gave it a rinse and been drinking out of it ever since. No side effects so far.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back