Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Reading in the Sunday Times today, the government are considering changing the MOT intervals. 4 years for the first MOT then every 2 years. They say this reflects the reliability of modern vehicles and that technology has come a long way since the MOT regime was introduced. Arguments aside, I know a plenty of motorhomers who would appreciate not having to make the long and ever more expensive trip North to get an annual MOT:Smile:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Reading in the Sunday Times today, the government are considering changing the MOT intervals. 4 years for the first MOT then every 2 years. They say this reflects the reliability of modern vehicles and that technology has come a long way since the MOT regime was introduced. Arguments aside, I know a plenty of motorhomers who would appreciate not having to make the long and ever more expensive trip North to get an annual MOT:Smile:

Its to get into line with Europe. They are trying to get a Euro MOT for all vehicles and you will be able to get an MOT in whichever country you are in that is accepted throughout Europe.

They are currently having UK vehicles tested in the Holland I believe and vive versa to compare the standards.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
This has been kicking around for about 2 years now. Must be a bad news day for that paper.

I was asked to sign a petition regarding it a while ago when I took the van for an MOT. it appears its a Europe thing, but there is of course some grave concern from soe MOT inspectors that 2 years could potentially see a death trap on the road.

I am sure our own MOT inspector will have a comment and tell us what the latest is. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Just like us in France ::bigsmile::winky: Jim

Mel

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I seem to remember "When I were a lad" that vehicles once they got to 10 years old had to be MOTd...Now 2 years on a 4 year old vehicle seems to be a easier option..so you wouldn't have to rush back from France/Spain every year to get it done...
As for this EU type MOT didn't Geo post a thread on this a couple of months ago about going to a seminar to throw ideas ariund for this??

andi4x4

Free Member
Aug 24, 2010
Ramsey, Isle of man
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Here on the Isle of Man, we do not have annual MOT's - a vehicle has to have an Import Inspection at the islands only test centre when they are first brought onto the island - whether new and unregistered, or several years old, and then, so long as it is kept continuously taxed, it does not require testing ever again. However, if you let the road tax lapse for a period of more than 6 months, then you have to have the vehicle tested again. Comercials are subject to annual testing though. Not sure about M/H's - will need to check that out !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
some grave concern from some MOT inspectors that 2 years could potentially see a death trap on the road.

Yes of course. It's obvious.

And nothing whatsoever about halving their income, oh no, not at all.

On the other hand, being "an EU improvement" the two year one will probably cost three times the one year one.

But seriously ( yes I can do it, but it hurts ) they must be more critical on the basis the vehicle will not be seen again for 2 years, probably more fails and many more advisories I guess.

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
Hazy memories here so I apologise if I've got it wrong. When I went to live in France in 2000 the first CT(MOT) was four years and thereafter every two years. However for Motorhomes and similar LGV,s you had to go every year for an emissions check. Just before we left, 2007 I think,certain LGV's including motorhomes and hearses were excluded from this requirement and were put on a straight every two years for everything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back