Scotland next week, anyone fancy a dram? (1 Viewer)

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Having had our fourpenorth on here for a while but not really met any of you Funsters, we thought we'd enquire whether anyone is in Scotland over the next couple of weeks and would like to share a tot or two of malt.

We're heading up to Rosemarkie Sunday and Monday and then drifting generally around the North East coast of Scotland for a bit before heading home via the borders before the Easter rush.

Love to catch up with anyone on the same, or colliding, route around the same time.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Not home until the 14th but if your in the dumfries area let me know as I can give you advice on where to have that dram and might even share one also big drive if needed

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Wishing you a brilliant time and hope the weather is kind to you:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Stopover at Brin

Hi, We missed you last year, Bob & Jules, but you are very welcome to call in - and stopover for a night, if you like on your way to Rosemarkie.
We welcome any funsters for a night stopover, no charge, and we are working on a CS so when that is in place you will be able to stay longer. Also we will be having another Highland Gathering from 3 - 6th June. More details in relevent forum, in due course.
for more information PM or visit Link Removed
Look forward to meeting many friends, old and new, during the summer
Magbrin

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Hi all

I would love to go up to Scotland but because we have an RV everyone keeps saying 'you can't take that up there':cry:

C'mon then you lot, how far could we get the RV?

Are there any sites up there with an access and that cater for RV's maybe?

Good raods are always a favourite too with an RV.

We arn't going over the water this year so a trip up north could be a great idea. Geo's always promised to take me up north but I never seem to get there:Doh:

S'pose I'm asking a lot really and it may have to remain a dream. If you all say it's a no go with an RV then so be it - or he'll have to get rid of his loving RV and downsize :Eeek:

I await your comments and put me tin hat on here :ROFLMAO:

Pammy

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Hi Sorry we arent up gonna be up Scotland next week but I am working on Graham to go this year. I have family that live in Dunoon and would love to visit them and see more of the area which Emily and I visited 2 years ago rather than head over seas. Doubt we would get away with free fare on the ferry with the motorhome!! Also would love to see Holy Loch again where we scattered my mums ashes.

Dale

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Hi all

I would love to go up to Scotland but because we have an RV everyone keeps saying 'you can't take that up there':cry:

We arn't going over the water this year so a trip up north could be a great idea. Geo's always promised to take me up north but I never seem to get there:Doh:

S'pose I'm asking a lot really and it may have to remain a dream. If you all say it's a no go with an RV then so be it - or he'll have to get rid of his loving RV and downsize :Eeek:

Pammy

No reason not to come to Scotland in an RV. There are plenty of lorries, busses etc on the roads so why not an RV?
Our road may be a bit of a challenge (but not impossible) - as with others in the Highlands as it is in part single track with passing places, but we do have motorways (as far as Perth) and dual carriageways and the A9 north is, imho, a good road (others, I know would disagree, but the surface is good and it swithces from dual to two way for the 100 miles from Perth to Inverness. It does deteriorate a bit further north but as I say we have plenty of heavy vehicles on our roads::bigsmile:

As far as campsites are concerned - we have plenty of them too. So I I think you should bit the bullet, and come:thumb:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all

Pammy

Pammy,
You could bring your rv to Scotland but you would need tp stick to main roads marked in red, Your rv doesn't look any bigger than the lorries that travel all over Scotland, I am sure most camp sites would take an rv but there are plenty of places you could stay off site.
Be brave and go for it, don't travel too far in a day, and have a good trip

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
We live in Fraserburgh so if you are up this way and if we are free would love to meet up. As we live in a flat we can't offer a place to stay, sorry,

Also we do not drink but we can have a coffee and enjoy a chat.

Norman and Sue

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi all

Good raods are always a favourite too with an RV

Pammy[/QU

Have seen large RV's all over Scotland. If you stay to main roads mainly you should have no problems.
Sites that I know take RV's:-

Glen Nevis site at Fort William
There is one by the side of Loch Lomond, Cant think of name
Site at Uig isle of Skye nr ferry term, small site but owner very helpful and will take RV's. basic site.
Just some I have seen RV's at there must be more, also plenty of wild spots.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
bob and jules

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Hi all

Pammy

Pammy, not sure how big your RV is but we're 8.7m tag axle and had no difficulty whatsoever right up the west coast to Scourie and then back across country towards Inverness. Take a look on the map and you'll see how far you can probably get, although I appreciate you're going to be a bit wider.
I always work on the basis that if Tesco can deliver and the bin wagon can get there then so can I, and I havent seen any starving people over run with household refuse in Scotland yet !!

To all the other posters offering food, drink and shelter to us over the next couple of weeks, many many thanks and we'll be in touch to see if we can catch up with you on our travels

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
This must be the first year we have'nt been to Scotland (unless we sell the other motorhome) we turn left at the border and follow the west coast all the way to Cape Wrath, go and see my brother in Glendaruel, lovely campsite in the glen, although we wild camp most of the time. We think west coast is the best.:thumb:

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Thanks to everyone for their information.

I'll be certainly getting the map out and ringing the sites mentioned.

I'll also be getting Geo and TonySantara drunk over the Peterborough show weekend to try and persuade them to take a trip up there. If the Peterborough weekend is not long enough to convince them then I'll try again over the Easter period. I'll just have to take loads of booze thats all. :ROFLMAO::winky:

Pammy

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I know ScotJim took his 36ftup to Scotland touring. There are plenty of Scottish sites on the RVOC RV Friendly map:thumb:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi Folks
We're also planning to be at rosemarkie sunday and monday if they'll ever answer the bl**dy phone!!
If we do manage to get them to answer and get a pitch we'll come find you :thumb:

cheers...nige&sheree

OP
OP
bob and jules

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Hi Folks
We're also planning to be at rosemarkie sunday and monday if they'll ever answer the bl**dy phone!!
If we do manage to get them to answer and get a pitch we'll come find you :thumb:

cheers...nige&sheree

That'd be good, look out for a Chieftain with a scruffy Border Terrier sat outside!!

I fell into the trap of trying to ring Rosemarkie at ablution cleaning times I think.... keep trying

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Will be heading up to the Isle of Arran in a couple of weeks for 2 weeks or so.

Been all over Scotland including 18 of the Islands and havent seen anywhere you couldnt take an RV. Its Scotland not Outer Mongolia.

Dingray

Free Member
Dec 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
CB
Exp
Since 2000
Rosemarkie

Hi, B & J
When do you expect to arrive, Put a M/Hfun card in your window,or better still "Fly the Flag"
it will make it easier to find you. I live overthe other side of the Black Isle so could pop over anytime, just getting the m/h ready to head for Peterborough next week. Hope to see you soon,
Ray.

OP
OP
bob and jules

bob and jules

Free Member
May 27, 2009
Goosnargh Lancashire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Feb 2009
Hi there Dingray Ray!

We're doing a quick overnighter near Perth on Sat night and hope to get to Rosemarkie about lunchtime, or a bit after, on Sunday (Magbrin, if youre reading this thanks for the overnight offer, we'll really try and get a night with you mid-trip!)
We'll be 'on the dongle' all trip so it would be great to catch up if youre local.

BTW the Funster flag sticker is on the bog window, so we'll look out for the
Peeping Tom looking into everyones bathroom !!

Hope to see you up there

B & J

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Hi all

Pammy

Hi Pammy,
As far up as you like.
I've been as far north as Tain and Invergordon with an artic, so why not an RV?
Dont know about any further, maybe drop off the edge.

magbrin

Free Member
Jun 18, 2010
near Inverness
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Folks
cheers...nige&sheree

You're welcome to stopover at Brin ( Link Removed ) if you can't get through. If not call in anyway on your way up::bigsmile:

B&J - hope you make it but call in anyway even if you can't stay:Smile:

PS. shop etc closed on Tues & Wed. should be about but PM for telephone no, in case we are not going to be about.

Look forward to seeing you all
Margaret

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
hi all

i would love to go up to scotland but because we have an rv everyone keeps saying 'you can't take that up there':cry:

C'mon then you lot, how far could we get the rv?

Are there any sites up there with an access and that cater for rv's maybe?

Good raods are always a favourite too with an rv

i await your comments and put me tin hat on here :rofl1:

Pammy[/qu

have seen large rv's all over scotland. If you stay to main roads mainly you should have no problems.
Sites that i know take rv's:-

glen nevis site at fort william
there is one by the side of loch lomond, cant think of name
site at uig isle of skye nr ferry term, small site but owner very helpful and will take rv's. Basic site.
Just some i have seen rv's at there must be more, also plenty of wild spots.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
strange as it may seem but we do have tarred roads now, and c/vavn sites some even have lecci and we allow supermarkets to be stocked mostly by trucks, so yes i think an rv should manage ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back