transfering files (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i need to transfer all my documents, photo's and some old programs (if they'll run on the new one) from my old lappy to my new one.

is it possible to do this via an ethernet cable beteween laptops ?

if not, then how....without buying disc transfer software.

i do have a 500gb USB hard drive

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Never tried linking two machines with an Ethernet cable. I've normally transferred files over a conventional Ethernet network in recent years.

Easy with the 500gb USB hard drive to copy files to it and then from it. I've done that sort of thing from time to time as it was quicker than routing file copies via the network.

As regards software you will need to install programs onto the new machine. Simple copying won't work as it does for data files.

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
Hi John,
a
There is a number of ways to do it, presuming you have disc writers on your old machines you can copy the files onto disc and then reinstall.
b
if you close an i/d ..ie one of the users on the computer when you do so the computer asks if you want to save all that users files, yes is the answer and all of your files are placed neatly in one folder with sub folders within, again copy via disc or usb stick.
The big things are pictures we take from modern cameras often 1 2 or 3 megs big. a few hundred pics and you have a gigabite.
c
transfering from computer to computer.
This is dependant on a number of factors and im not going to guess whats what with each computer but the help section will point you in the right direction.
Myself I always manually copy via usb stick or dvd writer or cd writer and i copy paste the files so all the origional remain on the old computer in case things go pear shaped i can do it all again. Move and paste has only one go to it.
d
as far as program transfer you are gonna have to reilstall them in the new one from whatever source you obtained them as the program needs to configure the computer, if you do a straight copy of your programs over they will not be configured correctly to work on the new computer especially if the new one is a different operating format ie vista, xp, whatever.

I dont know you well enuff to know how skilled you are at computers but if you need help then please ring and ill guide you through.

If im teaching grandma to suck eggs then accept my appols.

If you do ring i need to ring back landline to landline so i can burn up my anytime calls package....i love to vurn up my free stuff that costs an initial fortune :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
i need to transfer all my documents, photo's and some old programs (if they'll run on the new one) from my old lappy to my new one.

is it possible to do this via an ethernet cable beteween laptops ?

if not, then how....without buying disc transfer software.

i do have a 500gb USB hard drive

Hi John

You can do it "Peer to peer" with a reversal ethernet cable directly between the 2 laptops...or if you have an ethernet switch then plug them both into it and make sure they are both on the same ethernet address scheme/subnet.:thumb:

Steve.

Try a bit of software called "Beyond compare" . Trial lasts 30 days I believe...

Allows direct comparison between files so you know which ones have been copied fully.

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thanks everyone, especially harry for the phone number, i'm doing it slowly using the usb h/d.

looks like i'll lose a program or two.....lost discs :Sad:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
What are the programs John? Just in case we have any discs available.
i'll have a look next time i turn on the old lappy Graham.

one definate is 'Paperport' but i cant remember the version.
came as an included CD package with an old printer about 6 years ago and i use it quite a lot.
its a document/photo manipulation program.

but i would have thought if i get into the program files and copy the EXE file to memory stick, then download to this lappy and open/run, it should load ?.....if its compatible of course !

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i'll have a look next time i turn on the old lappy Graham.

one definate is 'Paperport' but i cant remember the version.
came as an included CD package with an old printer about 6 years ago and i use it quite a lot.
its a document/photo manipulation program.

but i would have thought if i get into the program files and copy the EXE file to memory stick, then download to this lappy and open/run, it should load ?.....if its compatible of course !

Don't have Paperport, sorry.

Just copying a .exe file won't work I'm afraid. Software packages use lots of extra and shared routines (e.g. .dll files) and need to be installed so that all the necessary links and Registry entries are set up.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Paperport is ÂŁ49.99 if you have to buy it:
http://www.nuance.co.uk/imaging/paperport/paperport-standard.asp

But a lot of printers come with extensive capability built in nowadays. Is it not worth seeing what you can do within the op system or with free software first?

I'm afraid I'm not very "up" on the best free Win-compatible freebies as I use a Mac 99% of the time. For PDFs though, I always used PDFCreator on the old PC.

Philip

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back