Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Just another scam.

You think you are looking at ebay.co.uk but look at the website address:

Link Removed.[HI]global-tradingonline.com[/HI]/ws/ViewItem&Item/2002%20Fiat%20Caravans%20International%20Riviera%20141%20Motorhome/2002%20CARAVANS%20INTERNATIONAL%20MOTORHOME%20FIAT%20RIVIERA%20141%20CARAVAN%20DIESEL.htm

That's the website you are going to.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I guess that you found that vehicle by searching on Google or some similar search engine.
You will only be certain of getting a genuine eBay item by entering the eBay website first and then doing a search from their own search box.

Lots of links on the fake page do go to genuine eBay pages but the important ones, (feedback, in particular), don't work.

Never go to eBay from an search engine link!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I guess that you found that vehicle by searching on Google or some similar search engine.
You will only be certain of getting a genuine eBay item by entering the eBay website first and then doing a search from their own search box.

Lots of links on the fake page do go to genuine eBay pages but the important ones, (feedback, in particular), don't work.

Never go to eBay from an search engine link!

that was the worrying thing. I went on My Ebay, signed in, and then searched for Motorhome and that is what I got?

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
And a WHOIS lookup to find out who owns the website name gives:

Levente Bajari +66.34935454553
Levente Bajari
Plaza Del Moreno 3 Palnta 4E
Cordoba,Cordoba,ES 14001

Domain Name:global-tradingonline.com
Record last updated at 2011-02-11 02:31:11
Record created on 2011/2/11
Record expired on 2012/2/11

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Very worrying!
How do you get to 'My ebay'?

I just clicked on ebay. Then I either done a search for Motorhome or signed in and then searched, but deffinately through the ebay website. However the item is now gone.:Eeek:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
. However the item is now gone.:Eeek:

Damn!

I was going to buy that!

It was for pre-approved bidders only so I would have sent him a newly created email address 'baisemoncul@gmail.com' then offered the full asking price.

Oh, the fun one can have stringing along scammers...

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Got a Hymer Camp 546 @£18000 its been put on ebay now 3 times, nobody wants a bargain:Angry:

Number 280653597789

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
However the item is now gone.:Eeek:

Nope it is still there, i got to it using your link Paul time 20.55pm see the attached

Also note the comments

As stated for all websites, look at the address as paypal lookalikes are abound as well

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 26

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Damn!

I was going to buy that!

It was for pre-approved bidders only so I would have sent him a newly created email address '[HI]baisemoncu[/HI]l@gmail.com' then offered the full asking price.

I would rather not........:Eeek:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
This listing is restricted to pre-approved bidders or buyers only. Email the seller and ask to be placed on the pre-approved bidder/buyer list.

warning This seller is currently away until 12 April 2011. If you make a purchase, there may be a delay in processing your order.

Always the giveaway, pre-aproved bidders means its a Scam, second bit means there will be a long delay in getting your goods or money if ever!

Peter

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
I would rather not........:Eeek:
I was going to buy that!

It was for pre-approved bidders only so I would have sent him a newly created email address 'baisemoncul@gmail.com' then offered the full asking price.

ok I've know Ive had a few vodkas but looked and looked cant see it???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
definately a scam Paul.

easiest way to check is to click on the user name to the right of the price box.....if its a genuine ebayer their details will be displayed in the following page (my world)

also click on their feedback score below their screen name...if its not genuine it will say there is a problem and what would you like to do next ?
if it is genuine it will show there feedback

check these details in your original link and you'll see that one is a genuine seller but some scroat has cloned the details to their scam page.

this isnt 100% foolproof but is an easy starting point.
if they can set up a false web page they can also set up a false feedback page...but none ever seem to bother.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Paul between facebook, ebay, running and now politics do you ever get anytime to work?:winky::ROFLMAO:

ebaySafety

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
Watching ebay listings
Exp
Since 2010
Long running ebay fraud

This type of fraud has been going on for a long time (see http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/?Page=1751|Police+Warn+Over+Camper+Van+Scam ). Sadly ebay do nothing to stop it.

The item listings are posted via genuine ebay accounts that have been hijacked; usually via Auctiva auction management site. As soon as you click on the 'genuine' listing you are redirected to the fraudsters' site by a piece of Flash code.

To protect yourself from these fraudulent listing, disable the Flash plug-in while browsing ebay.

There had been a discussion on this topic in the ebay community forum. Searching for ‘autotrail scam’ should find it; however of the 32 results none are displayed. Ebay may find it easier to hide the evidence that they are aware of the issue rather than combating the fraud.

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
This type of fraud has been going on for a long time (see http://www.westyorkshire.police.uk/?Page=1751|Police+Warn+Over+Camper+Van+Scam ). Sadly ebay do nothing to stop it.

The item listings are posted via genuine ebay accounts that have been hijacked; usually via Auctiva auction management site. As soon as you click on the 'genuine' listing you are redirected to the fraudsters' site by a piece of Flash code.

To protect yourself from these fraudulent listing, disable the Flash plug-in while browsing ebay.

There had been a discussion on this topic in the ebay community forum. Searching for ‘autotrail scam’ should find it; however of the 32 results none are displayed. Ebay may find it easier to hide the evidence that they are aware of the issue rather than combating the fraud.

Thank you for registering and giving some input. Us funsters have a way of spotting these frauds and posting them on here, We are not daft enough to believe you can get a 20k 30k or even 40k motorhome for 5k.
Judging by the name you registered with, its something you like doing (weeding out scammers) so is there any place other than Ebay to report them too? often ebay do nothing other than remove the item.

ebaySafety

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
Watching ebay listings
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you for registering and giving some input. Us funsters have a way of spotting these frauds and posting them on here, We are not daft enough to believe you can get a 20k 30k or even 40k motorhome for 5k.
Judging by the name you registered with, its something you like doing (weeding out scammers) so is there any place other than Ebay to report them too? often ebay do nothing other than remove the item.

The old adage “If it’s too good to be true, it probably is” is certainly the first line of defence. Unfortunately a friend (real, not a euphemism for too embarrassed to admit it) let his defence slip. I was asked to assist when he realised he had fallen for a scam. With the aid of the UK and Spanish bank the withdrawal of funds was blocked and eventually returned.

Other than gaining a crime reference number, reporting it to the police was a waste of time. Their response (without taking time for a breath, let alone checking for other reports) was that they would not do anything until other similar reports were received. Contacting ebay was nigh on impossible.

As you correctly say, all ebay does is remove the listing; and then only after it is reported to them by a user. They appear to take no proactive steps to identify these listing even though it takes only seconds to find them.

It is worth reporting the URL of fake sites to www.phishtank.com Anyone using OpenDNS will then be blocked from accessing the site. I believe the URL will also be propagated to other Internet security products to block access. This forces the fraudsters to have to obtain new domains and hosting.

As yet I have found no authority capable of taking on this fraud perpetrated from outside of the UK. Until I do, I will do my little bit to frustrate their efforts.

ebaySafety

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
Watching ebay listings
Exp
Since 2010
... and ebay allow the fraudsters to re-list removed items

As at the time of posting, the fraudsters have a listing on ebay identiical to the one the OP would have found:

Link Removed

It currently does not have redirection to the fake site. The next step is for them to modify the description to include the piece of Flash code to send you to their site.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
By the time I checked it the external link was in place.. again, duly reported

What amazes me is the dickheads use the same edging on all the scam pictures.. so easy to spot !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
My god !!!!!!!!!!!

I have just had a look at the source code of the page !!!!!!

255 lines including some of the most sophisticated stuff I have seen in ages

Why these idiots are scammers beats me. They could earn a very good living writing web pages !

Mind you.. We are talking about people who are SO thick they could not even look at the pictures they have used and determine it is a Fiat chassis ( LARGE Fiat on the bonnet ), putting VW based on the description

Perhaps people should be culled if they have an IQ of less than say 9 ( world health organisation to stipulate IQ must be higher than fathers shoe size or SQUAGE ! Thats yer lot ! :ROFLMAO: ? )

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Further analysis seems to show if you ask the people a question you immediately give them your user ID and password.. Same seems to go if you try and register as a bidder

So this scam is self perpetuating

People ( somewhat dim ones admittedly ) think they are going to get a 30k bit of kit for a bag of milk tokens and a stuffed hedgehog are so eager to place a bid they do not spot the obvious .. And every time some one wants to bid, the scammers have another ID to use for the next scam !

<div class="smm-cnt">This listing is restricted to pre-approved bidders or buyers only. <a href="javascript:void(0)"onclick="window.open('Ask%2
20Question.php?ShowSellerFAQ&amp;requested=herbiesfundation&amp;iid=310165737&amp;frm=28~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
edirect=0&amp;
MF
,'welcome','width=300,height=200')">Email the seller</a> and ask to be placed on the pre-approved bidder/buyer list. </div>

I have removed big chunks of the above to it cannot be used in any way shape of form and will not attract attention to this forum

So it seems the scammers have also cracked on to the Herbie fundation site too.. ( I THINK this is a blogging site related to ancestry )

Busy little buggers aint they !

ebaySafety

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
Watching ebay listings
Exp
Since 2010
What amazes me is the dickheads use the same edging on all the scam pictures.. so easy to spot !

We are talking about people who are SO thick they could not even look at the pictures they have used and determine it is a Fiat chassis ( LARGE Fiat on the bonnet ), putting VW based on the description

They must be reading this forum ... the fifth fraudulent ebay listing of the weekend and they changed the pictures and the description!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !! Well it is about time as they have been using the same layout for years now !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back