LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Link Removed from Maplins was mentioned in a thread last month. It looks similar to the one Dingray has and which was working very well at Newark when it was dull on Saturday. We already have a solar panel but thought that, at the price, it might be a useful alternative.

It only has 2 metres of cable as standard and I would need about 5 metres. However, Maplins tell me
If you use a similar gauge (thickness) cable there will be no problem running up to around 20m of cable, although this can work out expensive.
The current produced is just under 5A, so our order code of XS70M should be suitable cable.

Does anyone have any experience of this particular device?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Produces 12V up to 4amp ( 50 watts) in a 35 mph breeze

35mph is a hoolie, not a breeze::bigsmile:

Could they be wired in on the solar side of a regulator so the regulator can still look after the bateries?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Must have been a lucky meet for Ray as he normally gets sandwiched between two RVs
50mph gale and he dont even get a draught:ROFLMAO:
How much are they when there in stock:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
35mph is a hoolie, not a breeze::bigsmile:

Could they be wired in on the solar side of a regulator so the regulator can still look after the bateries?

According to the blurb
There is no need to use a charge controller when charging the battery. The battery can be connected directly to the battery terminal of the Wind generator for charging. When the battery is fully charged, the generator will automatically cut off the power to battery and the display will go out.

Pardon Geo? They are in stock :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
According to the blurb

Pardon Geo? They are in stock :Smile:
Not round here there not
Theyv'e got more sense than trying to sell owt over a £ in mansfield:RollEyes:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Just a thought, and not poo pooing the idea Graham, but £160 is nearly equivelent to an additional 2 batteries. Now taking on board strorage issues, but would not turning up at a meet with 2 additional batteries, a solar panel that you already have, give you much longer on the "wild camp" scenario?

or is it just you want a toy :winky:

if it's the latter, then go for it, they look wonderful. I remember when Ray bought his, he insists it works and that's good enough for me.:thumb:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Good points, Paul, but unfortunately I haven't the room to mount extra batteries.

Must admit there's an element of boys' toys in it as well though ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not round here there not
Theyv'e got more sense than trying to sell owt over a £ in mansfield:RollEyes:
Does that include your servicing charges? ::bigsmile:

Link Removed

ShiftZZ

Thanks Dave. They don't half get technical on there don't they. I'll have to read it again when I've had me dinner :Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I got quite excited for a minute or so there. Then I realised 4amps....
My sterling B2B gives 50amps. So If I start my engine and run it for 4 minutes I get the same amount of power.:cry:

A 15 minute drive to the newsagent each morning will put more power in than the wind thingy can in 5 days.

Love the idea though but I can't see it being practical for me full timing and moving almost daily once I start my tour.

Karl

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Dumb question time...

I know there turbines are not that effective, but, are they possibly not generation 24*7 when the wind blows (99% of time) so any 'free' generation would be good?

I had thought of playing around with an old bike system to see if that would generate anything of value. Surely, something for free is better than nothing, could it not be used to keep the batteries charged up when not in use?

I ffor one have always fancies going self sufficient, heat exchange, solar, wind etc so you can opt out of the 'system' as much as possible.

Is there nothing we can do to make use of the 'free' energy that we have?

ShiftZZ

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The specification of the Maplin item says that the "start-up" wind speed is 30 kph (just under 20 mph). As the maximum output is 4A (48W) in a 35 mph "breeze", that suggests a fairly narrow operating band of wind speed. I presume this means that the design is aerodynamically inefficient and it only works in quite strong winds. And even then, it is only equivalent to a small PV panel.

Looking at the Aire & Sun website, the outputs of Rutland turbines are all quoted at wind speeds of 19 knots (almost 22 mph) and the smallest one delivers 2A at that speed, with a maximum output of 80W (6.6A) at a higher, unspecified, wind speed. Given that Rutland seem to be regarded as one of the best manufacturers from what I have read, and the smallest 504 model costs £324, I guess the maxim of "you get what you pay for" applies.

Philip

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
After all that I decided not to buy for practical reasons.

The roof of the van isn't magnetic so I was going to attach a steel plate to a pole which I could mount onto the van side using aerial pole mounts which are already in place. The plate would have rested (suitably protectively cushioned underneath) on the roof and the turbine could have been stood on it.

Just been outside to do a couple of checks before going any further and found:
a) the Status aerial is on the roof just where the metal plate would go
b) the steps we carry are just a bit too short to mount/demount the turbine safely.

Good job I still remember my business analysis training before spending money isn't it :roflmto:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
After all that I decided not to buy for practical reasons.

Well Graham, the way I see that it this.

You have £169 to spend on another useful but useless toy at Peterborough :thumb:

See in you at the Stalls :Doh:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Well Graham, the way I see that it this.

You have £169 to spend on another useful but useless toy at Peterborough :thumb:

See in you at the Stalls :Doh:

Only if Jill hasn't spent it first Paul ::bigsmile:

I must confess that I have some catching up to do though - I failed miserably to buy anything useless at Newark. I'll use the excuse that there were fewer traders there :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back