Why no fixed Black tanks in Eurovans? (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
While I can see that fitting a black tank would cost more, and cause weight problems on the under 3.5kg vans, but why aren't they fitted on the bigger ones? A Burstner we looked at was on a 5,000kg chassis, cost £97,000 yet still had a cassette toilet, if I was paying £97,000 I wouldn't want to drag a cassette over to the bog.

Us RV'ers don't seem to have any trouble finding places to dump our tanks, so it can't be that, that's stopping them being fitted, so what's the reason?

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If I were self building, there is no way i would choose a cassette system over a holding tank. I have seen the odd German MH with a black tank, but the vast majority of makers stick with the cassette. Why I don't know.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If you ain't got a manhole to dump in I for one really prefer the cassette toilet, Trying to find places to dump is a nightmare and using the maserator does stinks especially when its warm day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Still would rather have a smell

John I would still prefer to have the smell and use a maccicator than lug a plastic pot to the communal sink...

I likewise cannot understand why the euro boxes have not advanced..they are so far behind.. Even my first A class I owned 22 years ago was still advanced in many ways over the modern plastic finished European motorhomes.

Bob:thumb:

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
While I can see that fitting a black tank would cost more, and cause weight problems on the under 3.5kg vans, but why aren't they fitted on the bigger ones? A Burstner we looked at was on a 5,000kg chassis, cost £97,000 yet still had a cassette toilet, if I was paying £97,000 I wouldn't want to drag a cassette over to the bog.

Us RV'ers don't seem to have any trouble finding places to dump our tanks, so it can't be that, that's stopping them being fitted, so what's the reason?

Ian

Where do you dump your black waste??
We've got a Laika which has a holding tank for the toilet waste. It doesn't have a pump so if you open the tank you have to be directly over where you want to dump (manhole cover).
I have a large wastemaster that I connect to the dump pipe with a hose (supplied with the van) and then empty in the same way as a cassette.

Am I missing something with being able dump the smelly stuff??:Blush:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
It's about the only element of owning a European van that I don't like, the RV system is so much better. It's not that its difficult or particularly nasty it's just a chore having to religiously do it every other day. In the Rv's we only had to empty once a week and could go longer if needed. All through Europe we never had a problem emptying, if we could'nt get to a drive over we used a waste hog Simples:winky:

Mind you if thats the only thing I don't like I probably made the right choice, I certainly don't miss fueling the RV:whatthe: or burning a bottle of gas a day trying to keep one warm in the winter.:whatthe:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I left the manhole cover

Where do you dump your black waste??
We've got a Laika which has a holding tank for the toilet waste. It doesn't have a pump so if you open the tank you have to be directly over where you want to dump (manhole cover).
I have a large wastemaster that I connect to the dump pipe with a hose (supplied with the van) and then empty in the same way as a cassette.

Am I missing something with being able dump the smelly stuff??:Blush:

I lift my house manhole cover and attach my maccicator to the end of the dump valve, plug in the 12v plug, press the button and in a few minutes it is all dumped.. Then I can attach a water hose in the maccicator body and flush the black tank... You need to look on one of the American parts supplier sites, get the attachment to fit your existing pipe then buy either a fixed unit or portable unit..I use a portable... Unit and the correct pipe and fittings about £300 ... But is so much easier.

Bob

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
If you ain't got a manhole to dump in I for one really prefer the cassette toilet, Trying to find places to dump is a nightmare and using the maserator does stinks especially when its warm day.

l have never had any problems emptying my waste tank. If there is a toilet, there will be a manhole nearby. A sewer system has to have a manhole at every junction, or at least a rodding eye. So, if there is a bog, there will be somewhere to empty a black tank.

I think cassettes are way behind.

Craig

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Am I missing something with being able dump the smelly stuff??

Possibly yes, The RV set up has two ways, three if you count directly over a manhole
we have a 3" diameter flex waste pipe that will dump direct over a manhole or even 20-30 foot away, we call that a 3" dump and prefer to do that when ever possible,
Failing that we use a waste macerater, also found on boats, and mash up and pump up to 100 foot away, even up hill if reqd over a cassette type dump wall or direct into a toilet.using a 1" dia flex pipe
The plan is to empty the toilet waste first(black waste) then emty the sink and shower waste (grey waste) second as that cleans out the pipes:thumb:
I'm sure you could rig up something, the RV type Maceraters have a 3 claw system to fit the waste gates
the marine type may be more suitable for a Euro
Geo

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I asked the same question of all the UK dealers ten years ago after renting an RV in the States and the Laika was the only one with a black (the same as marine?) tank. Still think it's a swindle spending so much and having to drag the contents of the loo across a site to dump it. :Blush:

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Am I missing something with being able dump the smelly stuff??

Possibly yes, The RV set up has two ways, three if you count directly over a manhole
we have a 3" diameter flex waste pipe that will dump direct over a manhole or even 20-30 foot away, we call that a 3" dump and prefer to do that when ever possible,
Failing that we use a waste macerater, also found on boats, and mash up and pump up to 100 foot away, even up hill if reqd over a cassette type dump wall or direct into a toilet.using a 1" dia flex pipe
The plan is to empty the toilet waste first(black waste) then emty the sink and shower waste (grey waste) second as that cleans out the pipes:thumb:
I'm sure you could rig up something, the RV type Maceraters have a 3 claw system to fit the waste gates
the marine type may be more suitable for a Euro
Geo

So is the waste macerator something that you fit externally or is it something I'd need to look into getting fitted internally to our euro van?

Always empty the grey waste after yep as the last thing you want when you take the hose off is some black waste still in there:Doh:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Our Waste macerator consists of an electric pump/macerator unit that fits on the RV outlet with bayonet fittings....

Link Removed

Works a treat for pumping the black stuff over long distances using a 1" hose pipe.

As Geo says...the Toilet waste first followed by the Grey Sink / shower waste...

Also has a flushing inlet to allow the fitting of a clean water inlet hose to clear it out afterwards....

Excellent bit of kit IMHO.

Steve.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
So is the waste macerator something that you fit externally or is it something I'd need to look into getting fitted internally to our euro van?

Always empty the grey waste after yep as the last thing you want when you take the hose off is some black waste still in there:Doh:

The waste macerator fastens externally on the 3" outlet from the black tank, and connected to that is the 1" pipe. Open the waste valve, switch on the macerator, and it munches the waste and fires it along the smaller pipe to wherever you want up to 100ft away. Then open the grey valve and that washes the waste pipe and macerator.

Craig

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
l have never had any problems emptying my waste tank. If there is a toilet, there will be a manhole nearby. A sewer system has to have a manhole at every junction, or at least a rodding eye. So, if there is a bog, there will be somewhere to empty a black tank.

I think cassettes are way behind.

Craig

Check carefully though that it is for the sewage and not a drain storm :Smile:

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
I am the main operator of both systems...when in my travel trailer i have the black tank and when Lynne and I are out in 'Matilda' we have the tiny black tank (cassette).
The main thing we notice is that when emptying matilda's tank we do get to meet and chat with fellow small tank dumpers! So maybe that is why they have not got big black tanks, so we get to meet new people??!!:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I stick to my feeling cassette is best:winky:

but

When i had the big house with drive over drain:Smile:

No contest:thumb:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I am the main operator of both systems...when in my travel trailer i have the black tank and when Lynne and I are out in 'Matilda' we have the tiny black tank (cassette).
The main thing we notice is that when emptying matilda's tank we do get to meet and chat with fellow small tank dumpers! So maybe that is why they have not got big black tanks, so we get to meet new people??!!:thumb:

I agree, you usually get the classic opening lines "are you taking the piss again" or "Why do I get all the s*!t jobs".

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Read this thread with interest. It never occurred to me that RVs would have a proper on-board sewage tank - shows how dumb I am :Blush:

I have no problem with emptying the cassette, and as mentioned previously you get to meet people doing the same.

Not so sure I believe it is more "advanced" to be driving round with a week's worth of poo slopping about in the back rather than emptying it regularly.

Each to their own i guess

david

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
26 gallons of poo

Read this thread with interest. It never occurred to me that RVs would have a proper on-board sewage tank - shows how dumb I am :Blush:

I have no problem with emptying the cassette, and as mentioned previously you get to meet people doing the same.

Not so sure I believe it is more "advanced" to be driving round with a week's worth of poo slopping about in the back rather than emptying it regularly.

Each to their own i guess

david

Yes 'RV's... Yanks, American Motorhomes' are fitted with holding tanks for black waste and also grey waste.

In the case of our Winnebago Aspect... See the link below.. We are only 23'9" long and have two tanks each being 26 US gallons... Many RV' have bigger holding tanks.

We can do a whole weekend show ..Thursday to Monday and not have to worry about lugging a cassette about to a down load point.

At say Shepton Mallet, we just pull up beside the toilet block, either connect our 3" hose then pull the valve and more more waste, or if I want I can park 60' from the dump point, run the high pressure hose out, connect the portable maccicator and the waste from the black tank becomes liquid waste... Still goes down the same dump hole.

Even on CCC sites I can do the same.it is rare I have to carry it any distance.

Next week in France I have a dump point on my pitch, as I do electric and water.. I just connect them up and forget about it until it is time to pack up. So much more civilized .. But this has been on American motorhomes for 25 years or more, nothing new.. It is what the yank owner expects, like a domestic fridge and a real freezer (not part of a fridge) .. Air con, central heating, hot water on demand.. A big... Very big fresh water tank and a city water hook up. Real tv's I.e 26" upwards, generators and manly inverters to run 230v equipment. The list is long... Perhaps you need to peek in side one at a show, or if pitched up with the MHF lot ask a yank owner to see inside.. We are always happy to show people what we consider as a normal every day bit of equipment.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
.. But this has been on American motorhomes for 25 years or more, nothing new.. It is what the yank owner expects, like a domestic fridge and a real freezer (not part of a fridge) .. Air con, central heating, hot water on demand.. A big... Very big fresh water tank and a city water hook up. Real tv's I.e 26" upwards, generators and manly inverters to run 230v equipment. The list is long... Perhaps you need to peek in side one at a show, or if pitched up with the MHF lot ask a yank owner to see inside.. We are always happy to show people what we consider as a normal every day bit of equipment.

You forgot to mention 8 mpg :Eeek: ..

only joking Bob.,. I know you get 10 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010

Perhaps you need to peek in side one at a show, or if pitched up with the MHF lot ask a yank owner to see inside.. We are always happy to show people what we consider as a normal every day bit of equipment.

Sounds a plan ::bigsmile: :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well I have experiance of both systems.I have the black tank in the RV and a cassette in the VW.
Both vehicles are used for diferent purposes and therefore have diferent systems.IMO the RV black tank is best when its used for long terming and the cassete is best when used for touring.
When touring,staying one or two nights in one place the cassette is much easier to handle than lugging 45 gallons of black stuff around for a week until you find somwhere to dump it.Theres also the weight issue with a European MH,what would you prefer...45 gallons of sh.. or 45 gallons of beer and wine:winky:

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
uh, my vote is with the beer and wine. thanks

:thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I agree with all if the above but we also carry a "cassette" In essence it holds about 20ltrs from memory and if I cannot do a "easy dump" I pull out the empty clean cassette and draw off the main tank 20 ltrs at a time and pull a tank of poo around the campsite like all the other campers!

However, being able to go two or three weeks miminum I can normally leave home with an empty tank, get back with a full one and drive over my dump! so I don't need the cassette that often I am glad to say.

Everyone would think that you were strange indeed, some what backward, if you filled your fresh water with a bucket! Use a hose we would all cry:winky: So I don't see the problem emptying the black and grey tanks with a hose::bigsmile:

Eddie

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
or if pitched up with the MHF lot ask a yank owner to see inside.. We are always happy to show people what we consider as a normal every day bit of equipment.

Bob:thumb:[/QUOTE]

Great idea, I'll knock on your door and say can I have a dump in your loo, save filling my cassette!!:thumb:

Oct 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
none right now
26 gallons of poo

Yes 'RV's... Yanks, American Motorhomes' are fitted with holding tanks for black waste and also grey waste.

In the case of our Winnebago Aspect... See the link below.. We are only 23'9" long and have two tanks each being 26 US gallons... Many RV' have bigger holding tanks.

We can do a whole weekend show ..Thursday to Monday and not have to worry about lugging a cassette about to a down load point.

At say Shepton Mallet, we just pull up beside the toilet block, either connect our 3" hose then pull the valve and more more waste, or if I want I can park 60' from the dump point, run the high pressure hose out, connect the portable maccicator and the waste from the black tank becomes liquid waste... Still goes down the same dump hole.

Even on CCC sites I can do the same.it is rare I have to carry it any distance.

Next week in France I have a dump point on my pitch, as I do electric and water.. I just connect them up and forget about it until it is time to pack up. So much more civilized .. But this has been on American motorhomes for 25 years or more, nothing new.. It is what the yank owner expects, like a domestic fridge and a real freezer (not part of a fridge) .. Air con, central heating, hot water on demand.. A big... Very big fresh water tank and a city water hook up. Real tv's I.e 26" upwards, generators and manly inverters to run 230v equipment. The list is long... Perhaps you need to peek in side one at a show, or if pitched up with the MHF lot ask a yank owner to see inside.. We are always happy to show people what we consider as a normal every day bit of equipment.

Bob - I've just moved from the USA where we sold our truck and trailer combo before moving, and i miss it so much. I'm thinking baout buying a USA style trailer here in the UK. Do i need to import one, or can they be found over here? Also how do i find out more about the UK equivilant for dump stations. I certainly want to be able to have a big black tank with stinky slinky, over a cassette style sewer set up. I'm just confused about how you dump your tanks here and where you can dump them. If it's not into ground level dump station, how do you dump your tanks 'uphill' into a toilet? aaaaaaah so confused!!

All i know is I miss my US trailer so much and all the adventures we went on!

thanks in advance!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Bob - I've just moved from the USA where we sold our truck and trailer combo before moving, and i miss it so much. I'm thinking baout buying a USA style trailer here in the UK. Do i need to import one, or can they be found over here? Also how do i find out more about the UK equivilant for dump stations. I certainly want to be able to have a big black tank with stinky slinky, over a cassette style sewer set up. I'm just confused about how you dump your tanks here and where you can dump them. If it's not into ground level dump station, how do you dump your tanks 'uphill' into a toilet? aaaaaaah so confused!!

All i know is I miss my US trailer so much and all the adventures we went on!

thanks in advance!
Old thread but no reason not to resurrect it ;) especially as it's a "toilet thread".

We have a large black tank and so far have not found any problems dumping it, yes you need a decent length of hose sometimes as it may not be possible to get the outlet over the dump point. You can also dump "uphill" with the aide of a macerator pump and pipes but I have not found a need to go down that route yet.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Ermm . . .Welcome to Fun Sarah Bee but I thought this must be an old thread when I saw Roadrunner and slobadoberdob posting and they, sadly, are long gone. AFAIK things haven't changed much in facilities for dumping black tanks but others will no doubt be along with some answers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back