Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I've just booked a mobile engineer to do a habitation service next week at a quoted price of £65. I'll let you know the outcome.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I've just booked a mobile engineer to do a habitation service next week at a quoted price of £65. I'll let you know the outcome.

Hi Paul I will be interested in the outcome especially if the guy is registered and his signature on the service book keeps the warranty valid.

Regards
Tony

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Judging by the number of "Mobile Service Engineers" 7 at the last count and a Derby based mobile generator repair man running around the Newark Show last weekend there could be a price war starting:Eeek:
Thats about half price, make sure you don't get half a job:Doh:
Check his credentials( he realy wont mind if he's all ticketed up) and ask what certificates he will be issuing:thumb:
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
paulmold

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Judging by the number of "Mobile Service Engineers" 7 at the last count and a Derby based mobile generator repair man running around the Newark Show last weekend there could be a price war starting:Eeek:
Thats about half price, make sure you don't get half a job:Doh:
Check his credentials( he realy wont mind if he's all ticketed up) and ask what certificates he will be issuing:thumb:
Geo

I'll be watching what he 'checks' and what he 'services'. I know one of my hob burners is not burning correctly and I replaced my blown-air heater myself so I want a gas check done more than anything. He's very experienced (over 20 years) but had to close his business 12 months ago after a serious sporting injury. Now recovered he's rebuilding the business starting mobile. I used to use him when I had caravans. I'll report my findings.

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
I'll be watching what he 'checks' and what he 'services'. I know one of my hob burners is not burning correctly and I replaced my blown-air heater myself so I want a gas check done more than anything. He's very experienced (over 20 years) but had to close his business 12 months ago after a serious sporting injury. Now recovered he's rebuilding the business starting mobile. I used to use him when I had caravans. I'll report my findings.

Hi, if you are going to ask him to check the gas then he should have an ACS gas ticket. The ACOPs certificate is not sufficient if he is undertaking work away from his own premises. The ACOPS certificate only covers work carried out on their own premises. The minute he steps outside of his own area he should have the ACS gas ticket.

OP
OP
paulmold

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Hi, if you are going to ask him to check the gas then he should have an ACS gas ticket. The ACOPs certificate is not sufficient if he is undertaking work away from his own premises. The ACOPS certificate only covers work carried out on their own premises. The minute he steps outside of his own area he should have the ACS gas ticket.

I understand the ACOPs certificate has been replaced totally by the ACS. I will be checking his credentials.

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
I understand the ACOPs certificate has been replaced totally by the ACS. I will be checking his credentials.

Hi Paul

No not yet, but this is a very hot topic with EU skills and Gas Safe. There is a full review of the gas industry taking place as we speak and we have heard that they are particularly looking at the motorhome/caravan side of things.

I will bring it back to the forum as soon as we get the full information on it but I am not expecting to hear anything yet until September earliest. At the end of the day they could just leave it as it is.

But at the moment:

The ACOP certificate only really covers those carrying out gas safety checks on factory premises i.e the likes of caravan/motorhome dealers BUT as soon as they go into the hire business as well then they have to be ACS certificated. This also applies to guys carrying out gas safety checks other than on their own premises. As soon as they hit your premises then they must be ACS certificated.

Hope this helps
Pammy

OP
OP
paulmold

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Through looking at another forum I came across another mobile engineer (in Yorkshire, so no good for me) on whose website he displays his accreditation certificate for all to see and it is an ACOP valid until 2015. Are you saying that if the guy coming to me has a similar certificate it is not valid at my home and this Yorkshire guy is operating illegally? I can't see anyone who has a certificate valid to 2015 rushing out to get an ACS one.

C.L.S

Trader - Service & Repairs
Jul 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Not long enough
Here is a link to the National Caravan Council Approved workshops :
http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/search/

They have engineers all over the UK , some workshop based and some mobile. All there engineers not working on hire vehicles will have a vailid ACOPS certificate and those working on hire vans will hold a ACS certificate. This is the current state of play with gas qualifications and the caravan / motorhome governing body (NCC) , I completed my AWS in February allowing me to work on most makes of vans at customers locations without invalidating any warranty or breaking any regulatiions as they currently stand .

Mark

OP
OP
paulmold

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Well the service/check took place this morning. He arrived at the appointed time and immediately produced a 'habitation check schedule' that he would be working to. I can't upload a copy of the checklist so I am listing details below:-

12v system - battery, fridge charge, relays, zig unit & switches, fuses, battery charge, interior lights, sockets, fan motor, auto ignitors.

Damp check - seams, corner rails, waist bands, rubbing straights, cleated joints, hinge bars, roof rails, window rubbers, external lockers, roof lights & vents.

Gas System - leak test, gas hose, pipes & unions, gas drop vents, bottle security, cooker hob, grill, oven, fridge, heater, flues, blown air heater.

Water system - water filter, pump & primer, pressure, hoses & connections, tiptoe switches, pressure switch, micro switches, water flow, taps & drains, water heater (lighting only), cassette toilet (flush only).

240v system - consumer unit, polarity, wiring, charger, sockets, lighting, water heater, fridge, heater.

I thought it was very thorough, taking 2 hours. He replaced my gas hose as it was showing signs of perishing and adjusted my faulty burner on the hob. He did a full gas leak check with proper equipment and a full damp check even though being a van conversion it was unlikely to be damp.

He says he is approved by all major warrantee companies for repairs and service without compromising the manufacturers warrantee.
If you need an engineer in The Wirral, Cheshire and North Wales areas I would recommend him. PM me if you want his details.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
£65 for two hours including his travelling time. I dont know how he can make a living unless he is racking them up one after the other within close proximity. Sounds like a bargain. Have you got the details of the one from Yorkshire?

Cheers
BD

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back