Beware of Caravan Club sites from April 8th (1 Viewer)

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I've just booked - and promptly cancelled - two nights at the Caravan Club site in Looe, Cornwall, starting on 8th April.

For some reason known only to themselves, the Club have decided that April 8th is the start of peak season this year, and they want £86 for two nights on a standard pitch with four adults. That's way too much in my book and I shalln't be bother them any further until they bring their fees to within reason.

A call to UK Bookings brought the response that they'd introduced peak season on 8th April 'because of Easter and all the Bank Holidays'. What Easter (that's on the 22nd) and which Bank Holidays - they're not till later still?

Happy to see that the C&CC still has low season rates through until Easter, as do all the commercial sites I've looked at. Shame on you Caravan Club for what I view as rank profiteering at the expense of the members who pay your salaries.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
That's a ridiculous price in any season....just shows what good value club rallies can be. Maybe it's time to consider if it's worth renewing membership next year if their prices are going so high.

I suppose we have to pay for all the fancy facilities that a majority of members probably never use.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The CC magazine came today in it is a picture of them 'smoozing' up to Fatty Soames MP? who may have something to do with tourism. I suppose the hike in rates is to pay for his lunch!!!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting that Easter is mentioned in the OP as Easter is extremely late this year. The way it reads it would be acceptable to start the peak season at Easter whatever the date it falls on - which could easily be before 8th April.

david and ann

Free Member
Jan 3, 2009
Sax Alicante
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
7 years
Rip off clubs

I was over in England two years ago and stayed at the Camping and Caravan club site at Folkstone. Paid about £75 for 2 nights in May/June. Thought that was bloody expensive then. I know Spanish sites can have silly prices too especially on the coast but i'll be sticking to ACSI sites anyway.
Hope enough members rebel and these two clubs have to think what and who they think they're working for !!
Cheaper in a 3 * hotel
Have fun
David:Angry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
As I have said many times the only reason we have CC membership is for the list of CL's - always a good welcome - always sensible prices AND no grumpy wardens we only use CC sites in an emergency

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Start of school holidays

The 8th is the day the schools break up for Easter.. They all go back first week in May...

It is about ripping us off as usual

Cancelled my membership long ago.

Bob:Angry:

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
They've put it up because that's when the school holidays start.
The usual rip off as anyone who has kids has no choice but to go in school holidays or get a huge fine from the local council!!

OP
OP
Mikemoss

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks for all the support folks, seems I'm not alone in finding site fees in general to be getting out of hand, and the CC's particularly so when they decide to declare peak dates at will.

I've spent a useful half hour getting comparitive prices from all the other sites in the Looe area, and not one of them would charge more than half the price the CC are trying to get away with.

If they introduced a membership category for CLs only I'd sign up in a heartbeat, but in the meantime I'm seriously questioning the whole point of the Caravan Club.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If they introduced a membership category for CLs only I'd sign up in a heartbeat, but in the meantime I'm seriously questioning the whole point of the Caravan Club.

If it were not for the CLs, then they would lose a ton of members, that said, I use a lot of CLs and have never been asked for a membership card, so I am sure that there are lots of non members using them. :winky:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
If it were not for the CLs, then they would lose a ton of members, that said, I use a lot of CLs and have never been asked for a membership card, so I am sure that there are lots of non members using them. :winky:

Must agree Jim have only been asked a few times and that was at popular CLs so they can afford to obey the rules, as they don't want to lose their CL status.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010

jim
as non member, how can i find out where these cls are
regards

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
jim
as non member, how can i find out where these cls are
regards

Hi 1948 what you need is an old members handbook as up to date as possible, same for C&CC Cs sites, possibly worth joining for one year.

Lyngary

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2011
Sudbury, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Hallo all,

I am a new member and this is my first post. I agree with all the comments on this thread but would add that I am particularly upset by all the sites that are increasingly charging £2 or £3 per night for each dog. As I have 2 dogs I avoid them all! (That was not so bad! first time for everything).

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Must agree Jim have only been asked a few times and that was at popular CLs so they can afford to obey the rules, as they don't want to lose their CL status.

So.....if they ask for your membership card, and you don't have one, do they tell you to go forth and multiply, or do they turn a blind eye?

Wouldn't belong to either club if my life depended on it, but I pass a lot of CL's and similar in my travels, and have often thought......."What if....."

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
I always use the Caradon Holiday Park in East Looe, they could,nt do enough for you. a great pub on site, and a bus to Looe right from the site, Privatly owned, check it out on uK camping forum:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So.....if they ask for your membership card, and you don't have one, do they tell you to go forth and multiply, or do they turn a blind eye?

Wouldn't belong to either club if my life depended on it, but I pass a lot of CL's and similar in my travels, and have often thought......."What if....."

You are missing some great cheap sites. If you were asked, and after literally hundreds of nights spent, I've never been asked, yes the worst that can happen if you were not a member is they won't let you on, but IMO that is highly unlikely.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
So.....if they ask for your membership card, and you don't have one, do they tell you to go forth and multiply, or do they turn a blind eye?."

I am a member but must admit have often wondered when I have not been asked for card on so many occasions do I really need to be a member.

Last edited:

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
cancelled my membership last year and wont be back,they charge this amount because people pay it,if nobody uses them they have to lower the prices to get people back,or go bust:thumb:

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
We are actually having problems even booking a CC site. Here we are at the end of March and we can't get in to some of them as the website reports that they are fully booked:Eeek:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
they are fully booked as the members book all the weekends then do not show up as they do not have to take a deposit

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Never used a CC site as they don't appeal even though I'm a member,but love the CL`s. must agree the CC does seem to ripoff there members,the Wifi cost and there insurance quotes are both over the top.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
they are fully booked as the members book all the weekends then do not show up as they do not have to take a deposit

I'd lke to go to Baltic Wharf, unfortunately my wife works in a school and therefore no chance in school holidays, to be fair I did recieve notification in OCTOBER last year that bookings for 2011 were now open, never gave it a thought. Over the Christmas period I started to look at availabilities......... nothing doing. Never mind I thought for my £38 membership (£40 this year) I get a monthly magazine, that arrived yesterday, 6 advertising pamphlets and 1 review guide fell out of the pages. The content majority is advertising followed by caravans and lastly motorhomes. I already subscribe to MMM so I don't gain much from the CC mag except fodder for the blue bag.:Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have no love of the Club either, ... but to be fair , £38 to gain access to several thousand CLs is, in my opinion, excellent value for money ..

For those who don't join but use the CLs ... well, I think that is wrong.. how would you feel if non Fun members used CFLs ?

Just my opinion ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back