Good news for motorcaravaners (1 Viewer)

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Tonight in the Porsmouth News ,it is stated the council are to introduce overnight Motorhome Parking in West Beach Car Park, charges will be £15 per night for March, April, May Sept, Oct, it will be £20 per night for June , July, and August, they have not stated what facilitys there will be, they have also scraped the proposal to charge for the disabled,:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That's extortionate..

however.. just noticed today, our local Tesco store have put up new notices...if you stay longer than 3 hours you agree to pay £70 .. that won't go down well with the 'free-[STRIKE]loaders[/STRIKE] campers.. :roflmto:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That's extortionate..

however.. just noticed today, our local Tesco store have put up new notices...if you stay longer than 3 hours you agree to pay £70 .. that won't go down well with the 'free-[STRIKE]loaders[/STRIKE] campers.. :roflmto:

Guilty as charged. We have quite a few nights in Tesco car parks, :Blush: normally pulling in around midnight and leaving before 6am Infact We kipped at a Tescos last Wednesday night:Smile: Its not as popular as Walmart in the US I never seen another motorhome parked up at the same time. Never had an incident or been asked to move. Never seen any signs forbidding it, but always assumed I was being cheeky and breaking the rules :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Guilty as charged. We have quite a few nights in Tesco car parks, :Blush: normally pulling in around midnight and leaving before 6am Infact We kipped at a Tescos last Wednesday night:Smile: Its not as popular as Walmart in the US I never seen another motorhome parked up at the same time. Never had an incident or been asked to move. Never seen any signs forbidding it, but always assumed I was being cheeky and breaking the rules :Smile:

I had received a letter from Tesco slapping my wrists stating i had exceeded the permitted parking time admittedly it was during the day but I had been genuinely in the store the whole time, I have never visited that branch again - the cctv of your reg no must give them all the info they need to collar ya

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
I suppose you are paying for the view of the sea?

It seems very expensive for a car park . They would need to put in EHU, water and waste disposal but even then it wouldn't match up to a CL.

Good initiative but the price needs to be the same as an overnight stay on the motorway.
Lucille

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
I had received a letter from Tesco slapping my wrists -------- the cctv of your reg no must give them all the info they need to collar ya

It shouldnt be possible for them to get your details as the data protection act keeps your details safe at DVLA....hmm either the car park is council owned and they can access your in fo or a breach of the data P Act is committed....myself I would be inclined to write back with an appology for the overstay, but include how they sourced your information, as you wish to check a breach of the data protection act has not been committed.

Lets hope they are fully stocked up with loo roll as they are gonna need it if the breach isnt lawful.

A good place to start is at the parking sign at Tesco..if its council land it will say so. If not then that means a private company accessed your details.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
the cctv of your reg no must give them all the info they need to collar ya

better than cctv.. they have number plate recognition cameras, if you stay and don't pay they send a bill... whether you pay or not is another matter ..

see attached

Attachments

• IMG00045-20110328-1134.jpg
    IMG00045-20110328-1134.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 50

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
I have emailed Portsmouth parking and said thanks but no thanks and have asked them to pass on my comments to councillor Dick Turpin.

Rob

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
better than cctv.. they have number plate recognition cameras, if you stay and don't pay they send a bill... whether you pay or not is another matter ..

see attached

and if you do get a bill have a look here http://www.pepipoo.com/
on the forums about not paying::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It shouldnt be possible for them to get your details as the data protection act keeps your details safe at DVLA....hmm either the car park is council owned and they can access your in fo or a breach of the data P Act is committed....myself I would be inclined to write back with an appology for the overstay, but include how they sourced your information, as you wish to check a breach of the data protection act has not been committed.

Lets hope they are fully stocked up with loo roll as they are gonna need it if the breach isnt lawful.

A good place to start is at the parking sign at Tesco..if its council land it will say so. If not then that means a private company accessed your details.

Totally wrong, sorry. There is no breach of the Data Protection Act. The DVLA explain Link Removed the various circumstances in which personal data may be quite legally released. A request from Tesco when somebody has stayed longer than permitted is one of those circumstances.

About 3 and a half years ago a user of my web site contacted me to say:
You can camp overnight in any Tesco's if you ask the manager. This came about because the managing Director has a Motorhome and I was told of this and I and My friends in the MCC Kent group. Have tried it out and it has been OK.
I have no idea whether this arrangement is still in place but as it does involve asking the manager then anyone seeking to do so would find out up front.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Tonight in the Porsmouth News ,it is stated the council are to introduce overnight Motorhome Parking in West Beach Car Park, charges will be £15 per night for March, April, May Sept, Oct, it will be £20 per night for June , July, and August, they have not stated what facilitys there will be, they have also scraped the proposal to charge for the disabled,:Smile:
The decision to scrap the charge for disabled parking was more to do with cost than compassion by the council... see link. £170K alone to make the machines compliant.
They have also banned motor home parking in all other Portsmouth car parks between 10pm and 8am so maybe not such a good deal. .Pay £15-£20 or don’t park in Portsmouth.:cry:
Link Removed

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
I have checked the reported details with Havant Borough Council.

The proposal is for permitted overnight parking for motorhomes at the West Beach Car Park, Hayling Island.

An overnight (10pm to 8am) parking charge to be introduced for motorhomes in West Beach Car Park. The charges are to be £8 a night from September to May inclusive and £10 a night from June to August inclusive. It is proposed to provide a chemical waste disposal unit and fresh water tap by the adjacent toilet block. I understand that the decision has still to be ratified and will then be advertised for public comment. The council hopes to have it in place by July.

Andy

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I have checked the reported details with Havant Borough Council.

The proposal is for permitted overnight parking for motorhomes at the West Beach Car Park, Hayling Island.

An overnight (10pm to 8am) parking charge to be introduced for motorhomes in West Beach Car Park. The charges are to be £8 a night from September to May inclusive and £10 a night from June to August inclusive. It is proposed to provide a chemical waste disposal unit and fresh water tap by the adjacent toilet block. I understand that the decision has still to be ratified and will then be advertised for public comment. The council hopes to have it in place by July.

Andy

Do you know if this applies to the Car Park near the golf clubhouse, or the one further up near the foot ferry?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
before people get too carried away emailing Portsmouth city council it should be noted the article refers to Hayling Island, not Portsmouth and is governed by Havant Council. The other car parks refered to are Hayling Island seafront carparks. The proposed charges seem to be in doubt as two lots of figures have been quoted.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
before people get too carried away emailing Portsmouth city council it should be noted the article refers to Hayling Island, not Portsmouth and is governed by Havant Council. The other car parks refered to are Hayling Island seafront carparks. The proposed charges seem to be in doubt as two lots of figures have been quoted.

Thanks - that certainly wasn't made clear in the original post. I notice that the OP lives on Hayling Island, so it probably made sense to him at the time.......::bigsmile:

UKMotorhomes

Free Member
Mar 6, 2011
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
4x4 camper truck
Exp
More than 30!
The charges I gave were direct from the Borough Council. I think they refer to the overnight fee only. Possibly the news report added the daytime fee to the overnight fee.

Andy

OP
OP
novawight

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
With a P.V.C you could park overnight at the nature reserve, just past the Esso Station for free

OP
OP
novawight

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Thanks - that certainly wasn't made clear in the original post. I notice that the OP lives on Hayling Island, so it probably made sense to him at the time.......::bigsmile:

It is nothing to do with an O.A.P living on Hayling, this what what quoted in the News,,,,,,,,End Of..........Del :Angry::Angry:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Don't worry! The "Freedom Campers" will stuff it up! as usual!

That's life!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
It is nothing to do with an O.A.P living on Hayling, this what what quoted in the News,,,,,,,,End Of..........Del :Angry::Angry:
Hee hee Del should have gone to spec savers, he said OP meaning original post, referring to you, never mind mate lots of people have misread things in this thread. But a good post all the same.

OP
OP
novawight

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Hee hee Del should have gone to spec savers, he said OP meaning original post, referring to you, never mind mate lots of people have misread things in this thread. But a good post all the same.

Yep, I guess we all make a foo pa now and again:Smile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
The problem I have with theses schemes is that you can get a non electric CL/CS for £5/6 so why are they charging so much for a car park? They are not really helping motorhomers, they are making money out of an empty space. :Angry:

OP
OP
novawight

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
The problem I have with theses schemes is that you can get a non electric CL/CS for £5/6 so why are they charging so much for a car park? They are not really helping motorhomers, they are making money out of an empty space. :Angry:

Because Havant Council think thet can,as it has already bean quoted it is only at the proposal stage, if it is by the Golf Course, There is a pub within spitting distance, called Inn on the beach, but the prices are way to high, perhaps, it will take a lobby from Motorhome forums like ourselfs to show the error of there ways

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back