Toilet chemicals/washing powder (3 Viewers)

batchpatch

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M
Exp
Since 2005
Hi
I have recently ben informed that you can use washing powder to substitute the toilet chemicals is this a fact and how efficent is it at breaking down the waste. Could any one who uses this method of waste disposal explane the quantity and type of powder required for each refill.

Regards
Batchpatch.:thumb:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi
I have recently ben informed that you can use washing powder to substitute the toilet chemicals is this a fact and how efficent is it at breaking down the waste. Could any one who uses this method of waste disposal explane the quantity and type of powder required for each refill.

Regards

You need a Bio preferably liquid. I use the 99p a litre bottle from Tesco own brand. 1 cap is enough for us but you will need to experiment.

The enzymes in the product help to break down the solids and you don't get the chemical smell from the conventional fluid.

We run a SOG.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our waste is never in the cassette long enough to have to break down. Probably because we are a family of 5 and use the loo.
You may wonder what do you mean "use" . Well , we dont walk over to a sites conveniences ( if we are on one ) and we do number 2's in it too :whatthe:
So its emptied every day .Ralphs favourite job:winky:
Some do use cheap biological stuff instead of the propper loo chemical though. Infact they swear by it.
Though i was always lead to believe that the biological bit in a washing powder/liquid didnt work unless water reached at least 30 deg ?
Bev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi

Regards

I have never used it myself but it might work if its the "Bio type" I have found that a bumpy drive for half an hour is effective but for me the bees knees is the S.O.G system.

Have a look at this Link Removed it stop all the smells in the cubical and you don't have to wait until the cassette is full to save chemicals.

Doug...

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Some do use cheap biological stuff instead of the propper loo chemical though. Infact they swear by it.
Though i was always lead to believe that the biological bit in a washing powder/liquid didnt work unless water reached at least 30 deg ?
Bev

The waste leaving the human body is at 37°c. In winter my flush water is quite warm as the pipe runs beside the heating duct pipes. This ducting also warms the toilet holding tank area to prevent it freezing in winter.

Living full time in the van we also USE the loo fully. I can at a squeeze, get 36 hours out of a cassette at present as I also use it as a receptical for the contents of portable bidet.

Just had a look at the bottle and it says nothing about temperature on it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I don't believe that adding any chemicals will aid in breaking down solids,whether propriety or homebrew.
First of all, there simply isn't enough time for them to work, that takes several days or more.. Secondly, they are not designed to break up solids, but to mask the stench.

Black tanks in RVs don't require chemicals and indeed should NOT be added as they hinder rather than aid the natural chemical breakdown.. the stench is removed via a pipe to a roof vent.. same principal as a SOG system..

It's all down to how strong your stomach is .. add washing liquid by all means if the stench turns your stomach. Personally I've never had a problem with emptying porta potties or RV tanks.. but then again I have worked on sewage farms.. :roflmto: It's only human waste .. you soon get used to it ... :winky:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I don't believe that adding any chemicals will aid in breaking down solids,whether propriety or homebrew.
First of all, there simply isn't enough time for them to work, that takes several days or more.. Secondly, they are not designed to break up solids, but to mask the stench.

Black tanks in RVs don't require chemicals and indeed should NOT be added as they hinder rather than aid the natural chemical breakdown.. the stench is removed via a pipe to a roof vent.. same principal as a SOG system..

It's all down to how strong your stomach is .. add washing liquid by all means if the stench turns your stomach. Personally I've never had a problem with emptying porta potties or RV tanks.. but then again I have worked on sewage farms.. :roflmto: It's only human waste .. you soon get used to it ... :winky:

I TOTALLY AGREE JIM .....about the Chemicals, Bio washing liquid, and the Sog.....most of the time they are not in long enough....and they are mainly about removing the odours:winky: ...some odours stronger than others:Eeek:.......an electric fan inside the toilet compartment would be just has good.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mel

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Link Removed

There you go tells you about temps liquid has to be before the enzymes start to break down stains( not lumps of poo :Blush:) in this.
Though I suppose If it stops the smell , and its cheaper for you , use it .
Bev

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi I made our own SOG :thumb: but I also belive that the wee helps break down the solids more than anything else you may add:thumb::Eeek: No time for the Loo to work it magic as it is emptied (by me) daily or at most 2 days.I useually give it a good shake/swirl before empting :thumb:
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I meant to add..

This is a popular misconception ..

Proprietary chemicals such as Thetford are designed to kill bacteria, thereby reducing methane gas and the smells .. not to aid solid breakdown ..

This MAY be an important factor if , like me, you enjoy a ciggy with your morning poo break .. methane gas, put ciggy butt in toilet ... kerrrrbooooommmm :Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I love this thread. Who has had the misfortune not to empty their cassette in time? Horrendous! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Link Removed

There you go tells you about temps liquid has to be before the enzymes start to break down stains( not lumps of poo :Blush:) in this.
Though I suppose If it stops the smell , and its cheaper for you , use it .
Bev

I use it to kill/mask the smell. Don't use it when on a site for a long stay as toilet is emptied regularly. However when wilding/on Aires or on the move it does cut down on nasty smells.

Never really noticed a smell from the SOG until we put the Safari room on, so a roof vent is better than the one on the toilet compartment door. This is now an option on SOG systems.

OP
OP
B

batchpatch

Free Member
Apr 13, 2009
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M
Exp
Since 2005
Washing powder in toilet/cassett

Thanks to all for your reply's but most were of track of my original question
can you use washing powder/liquid in your toilet cassett.
Regards
Batchpatch.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I love this thread. Who has had the misfortune not to empty their cassette in time? Horrendous! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:[/QUOTe
My son in law visited and even though toilets were near he has a phobia of using public loo's he used ours even after us saying it needed to be emptied, he had used the flushed too much and overfilled the bowl.....phew what a horrible job had to use marigolds and the vision wawith me for ages, he scarpered before I knew what he had done..I wasnt happy :Angry::Angry:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thanks to all for your reply's but most were of track of my original question
can you use washing powder/liquid in your toilet cassett.
Regards
Batchpatch.

As direct a answer as I can give you, it is the Liquid Bio Washing Liquid you need not powder, a lot of people use it best option at 99p though I can only find the condensed liquid is to give it a go if you find it OK, if not do your washing with it, worth a try.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Agreed you need the LIQUID. We pay £1.20 at Morrisons and it is brilliant, yes it does break "solids" down and pretty quick too. As a bonus it smells nice. :thumb:::bigsmile:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I will just add that modern washing detergents are designed to work on a completely cold fill, or a warmer one, so they will work in the loo.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
I will just add that modern washing detergents are designed to work on a completely cold fill, or a warmer one, so they will work in the loo.

Maybe not the cheaper smart-price ones some of the posters are talking about though.
We are going to have a Sog fitted. The chemicals we use are great when your static for a weekend , but if your driving about and somebody has been :Blush: they dont work as well.
As for the daily swirling and shaking the cassette , Ralphs got it off to a tee.
Its almost dance like:ROFLMAO:
Bev

BriantheSnail

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Saddleworth
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 20 September 10!
Agreed you need the LIQUID. We pay £1.20 at Morrisons and it is brilliant, yes it does break "solids" down and pretty quick too. As a bonus it smells nice. :thumb:::bigsmile:

Ken, we just tried the Morrison's stuff, and it was pants (if you'll excuse the nether region reference.) Tesco's was brilliant ... no smell, it broke ... everything ... down to a sludge (even loo paper) Anyone here tried bio fabric conditioner? Is it better than the bio washing liquid? And does anyone add Milton to the mix?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I don't use any chemicals and I don't have a sog. I never notice any smells except for when I am driving with a non empty cassette.

I have just discovered the cause of this though. When I have my window down wind comes in through the rear of the van and out the side window.
This airflow also appears to cause some pressure that either forces or sucks air into the pressure release vent under the cassette this air then fills the van with a really nasty smell.

What I do now if I can't find anywhere to empty the cassette before moving is to unlatch it and move it as far out of the locked position as possible without actually taking it out of the locker. This disconnects the vent from the van and prevents this happening :)

As a solo fulltimer my cassette lasts me around a week.

Karl

david price

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Bridgenorth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
5 years
We fulltime and i have not used anything for over a year.shut the blade bit of water on top and never had a problem with smells.Stinks a bit when emptying but thats my job and it doesent bother me in the least.i can get the chemicals at trade price but feel i dont need them,did look at the sog but again never had a problem with a smell so no need.
Dave

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Ken, we just tried the Morrison's stuff, and it was pants (if you'll excuse the nether region reference.) Tesco's was brilliant ... no smell, it broke ... everything ... down to a sludge (even loo paper) Anyone here tried bio fabric conditioner? Is it better than the bio washing liquid? And does anyone add Milton to the mix?

Milton will sterilize the cassette & stop the bacterial action which negates the use of a biological additive?

Never tried the fabric conditioner myself, but bio laundry liquid works OK & I thought the fabric conditioner would be more expensive without any further benefit.

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I tried the bio laundry liquid but didn't get on with it so now using Elsan bio degradable/green chemical

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
:Smile: We tried the Tesco Bio for a while , but found that other than socks, it was almost impossible to get the washing past the cassette entrance :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back