Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Morning all , looking Towsure catalogue, i would like some help, i wish to fit a rollout type awning on my vw Topaz, but as an alternitive could i fit a caravan awning .i was looking at Ominster Caravan 260 or sunstore 250. has anyone fitted one on a motorhome by fixing an awning rail to the van, your input gteatly apprciated.............Del

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi novawight.

It is possible to fit a caravan awning by fitting a rail, but don't forget that by doing it this way you would not be able to move the van away, without taking the awning down. Caravan awnings are designed without supports using the caravan side for support and no method of closing the back. What you need to do this is a drive away awning, that stands alone and you can close up the entrance area and leave.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
novawight

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
  • Hi Yer, thanks for info, I have a drive away awning, but was just thinking of a type to put up when at a rally or meet, I know i can fix on a flamma roll out, but was looking for a cheaper alterative...........Del

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well - I know our motorhome is taller than our caravan was - by virtue of my not being able to reach above the hab door whilst standing on a small step! - will a caravan awning be tall enough?

Motorhome wheels are bigger, aren't they?

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Yes you can. I bought a length of U section rail from a nearby caravan retailer, and screwed it to the side of our Transit. The usual advice prevails - seal holes to prevent ingress of water and subsequent rust.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Get a Fiamma

There was an Omnistor rail fitted to my Symphony when I bought it, and a used awning was offered free by the dealer (the wonderful Robsons of Wolsingham) but when I saw how small and insubstantial it was I went for a Fiamma... You would have to store the awning in your van when you're mobile... and you've probably got enough gear in there already.

OP
OP
novawight

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
There was an Omnistor rail fitted to my Symphony when I bought it, and a used awning was offered free by the dealer (the wonderful Robsons of Wolsingham) but when I saw how small and insubstantial it was I went for a Fiamma... You would have to store the awning in your van when you're mobile... and you've probably got enough gear in there already.

I think i will have to go down to towsure myslf, and have a gander, i realise the probwith putting inside the van, but would only put it in there when needed, as for it being flimsy, i would have to check it out with towsure, but if it is ok for a tugger,iwould think that it would be ok for my Topaz, thanks for the input it is much appreciated

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
for caravans they do an awning in a bag that stays on the side of the caravan (dont know what they are called) but Landylover has one so might be worth a pm to him, he was at newark with it this weekend on the caravan he has bought for short trips.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Caravanstores as they are called are designed for caravans and fit to a C section rail which all caravans have, they are not designed for motorhomes as they are mounted in a bag.

They also do not wind out, you have to roll them out by hand.

If you are going to Peterborough show, we do free fitting on Fiamma F45 awnings.

Peter

Fiamma Caravanstore Caravan Awning

Fiamma F45ti F45tiL Motorhome Awnings

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
  • I know i can fix on a flamma roll out, but was looking for a cheaper alterative...........Del
As a cheap alternative I bought a Vango Tarp and replaced the shock cord with large electric cable to allow it to fit the figure of 8 drive away awning attachment. A couple of old tent poles and Bob's your uncle.

Cost? A little over £20.

OP
OP
novawight

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Caravanstores as they are called are designed for caravans and fit to a C section rail which all caravans have, they are not designed for motorhomes as they are mounted in a bag.

They also do not wind out, you have to roll them out by hand.

If you are going to Peterborough show, we do free fitting on Fiamma F45 awnings.

Peter

Fiamma Caravanstore Caravan Awning

Fiamma F45ti F45tiL Motorhome Awnings

Hi Peter does that price include the fittings, I am at the Peterbourough show,the probable size would be 2.5 mtrs

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi Peter does that price include the fittings, I am at the Peterbourough show,the probable size would be 2.5 mtrs

Unfortunately your van needs special Autosleeper mounting brackets and to fit them requires removal of internal fiitings which is not really a field type job as it involves a lot more work and time to fit

The van would need to come to our workshops to do a proper job.

Sorry

OP
OP
novawight

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Unfortunately your van needs special Autosleeper mounting brackets and to fit them requires removal of internal fiitings which is not really a field type job as it involves a lot more work and time to fit

The van would need to come to our workshops to do a proper job.

Sorry
Thanks anyway, back to the drawing board, as a matter of interest, how much, woul it approx cost, asmaybe i could have the brackets fitted locally, beforei come up to Peterbough.............Del

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Thanks anyway, back to the drawing board, as a matter of interest, how much, woul it approx cost, asmaybe i could have the brackets fitted locally, beforei come up to Peterbough.............Del

It would be best to give Darren or Glenn a ring and have a chat to them, you will then get the best info from the experts direct.

Peter

OP
OP
novawight

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
for caravans they do an awning in a bag that stays on the side of the caravan (dont know what they are called) but Landylover has one so might be worth a pm to him, he was at newark with it this weekend on the caravan he has bought for short trips.

Tried to p.m Landylover but was not reconised :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back