MOT in Spain (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Right then, there must be someone out there who can reveal the flaws in my argument.

I'm told by the MOT people in UK that its not possible to get my vehicles tested in Spain. OK

Also been informed that Spanish ITV is invalid. OK.

So, why cant I do the following?

Permantly export the 'Van & Smart to Spain.

Get Spanish ITV, & Insurance & Road Tax & then just operate as a
Spanish vehicle & visit rest of Europe as a Spaniard would.

Yes, OK? or NO!!!

And please, no puerile responses from Hilldweller. This is a serious issue.

Cheers

Billkce

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
A few years ago a friend of mine tried to register and re-matriculate his van in Spain..They told him a definate NO Senor..When he asked why he was told because he has a British Van and the Habitation Door was on the UK nearside making it Spains offside and it would open out to oncoming traffic!! it could not be done..Whether they were just fobbing him off he never really said but that WAS WHAT HE WAS TOLD!!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A few years ago a friend of mine tried to register and re-matriculate his van in Spain..They told him a definate NO Senor..When he asked why he was told because he has a British Van and the Habitation Door was on the UK nearside making it Spains offside and it would open out to oncoming traffic!! it could not be done..Whether they were just fobbing him off he never really said but that WAS WHAT HE WAS TOLD!!
same response in France, however if you have a lefthand drive you still have the problem of actually being resident there in order to qualify.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Seems to me you have two options.

1. Re-register the vehicles in Spain. they would of course have to pass all the requirements of the Spanish authorities. Whether or not they pass these Spanish requirements is another question.
When I was living in France a friend I knew re-registered her UK right hand drive car after passing the French "Controle Technique" (MOT). Don't know the motorhome requirements. She then had a french plate, and insurance.
There can also be customs (import) liabilities on certain vehicles.

Also you do have to be resident in France....

2. Annual trip with the vehicles back to the UK for MOT testing..

Random thought, does Gibralter do "British" equivalent MOT's on their vehicles?
If so that may be closer.

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life
Late err all thinking

Just a thought, looking at it from a different direction....whats to stop a british mot examiner examining a vehicle abroad?

I know we have mot stations where the examination is done but I wonder if its the premises or the person that is the station?

Anyone know of a mobile mot examiner?

As I say just a thought..

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Random thought, does Gibralter do "British" equivalent MOT's on their vehicles?
If so that may be closer.[/QUOTE]

When I was on posting to Gibraltar in 83-85 the MOT was really non existent..most cars apart from the reasonably new ones were termed Rock Runners..In fact some of the single lads in one of the platoons bought one and used it as their personal run around..When we left it was before the border was fully open and I believe plans were in operation to start their own form of MOT..but they didn't have any one who was qualified to use the testing gear!! or actually knew what sort of test to carry out..I wouldn't think a test carried out in Gib would suffice for the UK anyway

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Just to shoot down my own random thoughts (which can indeed be very random)

"Only Gib registered vehicles can be tested in Gib. Uk vehicles must be tested at a UK station."

Sorry :cry::cry:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Simples as they say

Just a thought, looking at it from a different direction....whats to stop a british mot examiner examining a vehicle abroad?

I know we have mot stations where the examination is done but I wonder if its the premises or the person that is the station?

The mot examiner has to log on to the uk system and do the mot in a certain amount of time. Simples.. No computerand equipment linked no mot.

This question has been raised before and many of the reasons shown now have been visited.. I recall it is a non runner question.. No you cannot get a British van mot'd in Spain or France due to importation issues.

Bob:Eeek:

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
Hi there i am sorry to say that the information you have been given regarding transferring your van to spanish reg is right that if it is right hand drive it cannot be done. And trust me reregistering is a complex buisiness here,i somehow did my own (20 year old hymer) somehow but dont ask me how as they want an homolagation number and they wernt invented when my van was built:ROFLMAO:,i have two freinds over here going thruogh the process at the moment both with 8 year old left hand drive vans bought in the uk(saving an incredible amount on second hand prices here) neither have homo numbers but should have,one is a spanish benimar so he contacted them and they gave him one, my other freind has an italion Rimor so he is in contact with them trying to get his,hope this helps and sorry.
All the best Trev

spannermanwigan

Free Member
May 22, 2008
wigan, lancs
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1973

both premises and person have to be approved and registered, no such thing as mobile Mot
test.

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
It's A Nonsense

I find myself in exactly the same position regards MOT. and have looked into all avenues to no avail. I cannot understand how the EU. can have silly regs/laws regarding egg size,curvature of bananas BUT cannot introduce a standard vehicle test common to all countries. Surely some common test across all member states would be in the interest of all - not just to satisfy my selfish needs!!!.

Alan

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Find yourself a dodgy MOT tester, and they will MOT over the phone.

Ian

Reonvore

Free Member
Aug 29, 2011
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Alcove
Exp
I'm a Newbie
:Blush: Maybe a stupid suggestion but could you not get it MOT'd in Gibraltar would a mechanic there do ?????

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
"Only Gib registered vehicles can be tested in Gib. Uk vehicles must be tested at a UK station."

Sorry :cry::cry:

:Blush: Maybe a stupid suggestion but could you not get it MOT'd in Gibraltar would a mechanic there do ?????

see quote

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Youv'e only got to wait till 2015, the proposed time scale needed to put together a Pan European Mot Scheme
It is coming:thumb:
Geo

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I made a brilliant suggestion to Sheriff (Champers' other half) who has a MOT test station where there are two testers.

"John, why not tour around the Algarve and Spain doing MOT's ... then you email the details back to HQ (Sennybridge) where young super mechanic Gareth enters all the details into the computer system and then forwards the certificate..." :thumb:

I reckon it was a brilliant plan and only technically dodgy.. definitely worth €100 a time.)

...but the Boss, Kath said "No Way!" :Sad:

I was only going to charge €20 a pop for commission for the idea...:thumb:

Sorry if this was a bit puerile for the OP... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Bazza

Free Member
Sep 6, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Class A RV
Exp
MOT Testing

Whilst recently touring near Benidorm last month I noticed an advert in one of the local area English papers for UK DVLA Approved MOT testing available for £250, didnt record the number though sorry, but it would indicate someone is on the case?.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Whilst recently touring near Benidorm last month I noticed an advert in one of the local area English papers for UK DVLA Approved MOT testing available for £250, didnt record the number though sorry, but it would indicate someone is on the case?.

Link Removed
MOT in Spain .. be aware of scams >>>>>
There have been a number of MOT certificates scams uncovered in Spain. The most infamous involved retired UK expat couple Seamus and Paula Montgomery who have been arrested for providing false MOT certificates. The certificates were given to other expats who wished to avoid having to take their UK registered car back, as an MOT is only legal if carried out in the UK.

Most expats would no doubt be aware that this was illegal although no doubt a number of people who made payments were simply unaware of the Spanish road regulations. As a result there must now be hundreds of UK registered cars being driven around in Spain which are not legal.

Note that UK registered cars and vehicles in Spain can only be issued with an MOT in the UK and your car should be transferred onto Spanish registration if it is in Spain for more than 60 days. In the case of a commercial vehicle that time is reduced to 30 days.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi roger as nearly got it right,but caravans in spain need moting. they cant pull uk caravans with spanish reg vehicles . the secret is mini artic trailer =living van under 3,500kg .the tow unit must be over 3,500kg . and as to be artic .ie at least 20%of the weight of a laded trailer imposed on tow vehicle . both exempt mot. see dft v112g form ref,, classes 13 and 35. sorted. cheers alan.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
hi roger as nearly got it right,but caravans in spain need moting. they cant pull uk caravans with spanish reg vehicles . the secret is mini artic trailer =living van under 3,500kg .the tow unit must be over 3,500kg . and as to be artic .ie at least 20%of the weight of a laded trailer imposed on tow vehicle . both exempt mot. see dft v112g form ref,, classes 13 and 35. sorted. cheers alan.

Hi Alan.. nice to see you posting again :winky:

.. just had a look at the rules in the dft mot exemption declaration document .. :thumb:

what driving licence is required for your rig ?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jim. for mine at the moment c1+e. i restrict the trainweight to 8.250kg.
at 70 or if i ever lost the c1+e i couldlower thr gvw of the truck to 3,500kg then move the axles on trailer forward and drive it on b+e. then the train could be 9,600kg . there is no weight limit for b+e only the train of tow unit..i would put it back to 9.6..
if its foryou keep looking on ebay . a nice iveco and trailer went last week for less than3 grand. needed trailer kiting out but some work had been done. at the moment i alsodrop the trailer sweight from 5ton to 3.5 . havent had an mot on either unit for 11yrs . there is a white paper about taking the exemption for mot away but if it happens well it happens. i still speak to vosa about it and they laugh. disabled tax on the truck ,cheap motoring. he hee. cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back