Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Im planning our next adventure which if it comes off will be probably at least 2 months in July / August and maybe some of September.
So far this is the intinary I have come with this afternoon.

Dover to Calais or Dunkirk.
Maybe have a look at Bruge
Mosel Valley from Koblenz to Trier
Titasee in the Black Forest (been there already)
Lake Luzern
Interlaken
Chamonix
Maybe Annecy again but maybe not
Then across to all of the northern Italian Lakes from Maggiore to Garda
Thats its so far.

If we have time we might do Venice and get a ferry to Greece but we will probably run out of time.

I know nothing about the Mosel Valley but I do know its been mentioned on here a few times. Which are the best bits to see? Is the route from Koblenz to Trier a good one to take?

We drove through most of Switzerland when we first got the van and didn't do it justice are there any must see places that I haven't mentioned?

I hear there there is a cable car journey at Chamonix, any one been on it?
Our preferences are mountains, rivers and lakes with views to die for. Not fussed about cities really.

Our camping preferences are wild camping and Aires in that order and if we have to use them small informal and basic campsites (especially ones that are not expensive)

We have the bike so prefer to stay away from the madding crowds.
What do you reckon, anyone want to add the itinary or suggest must see places or great stopovers?

Thanks in advance
Barry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
all nice places Barry and we have done most of them.

Only thing I would say is August and travel = school holidays and traffic, so wouldn't try Annecy until September.

We done a little of Switzerland in August with out any problems as we did Germany. but France and August? best leave that for us lot that have no choice in the matter...:Sad:

We may head for the Italian lakes in August our selves, not quite sure yet, but Brian (hilldweller) knows them and that area well. :thumb:

enjoy what ever you do.:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Second the views about August. We always stay at home then, though even Eastbourne gets busy then.:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I hear there there is a cable car journey at Chamonix, any one been on it?
Barry

Look up Aiguile du Midi - essential to do it before you die, or maybe afterwards if the god botherers have got it right.

Switzerland has it's version, the Junkfraujoch Railway, not done this, very pricey.

Chamonix - great camping right in the centre next to the hospital, great tourist trap at tourist trap prices.

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks for the replies. I hear what your saying about August but this year we might not have a choice. My current project will finish in June but it might start again in September. Problem is I might not know until July or even August otherwise I would go early or late summer.

The cable car looks super! will definately do it.

Ive just spent an hour or so creating PDF print outs of all the Stellplatz along the Mosel that look nice. Flipping heck there are loads and they all look great.

Wish I hadnt started now as I just want to get going. Its unusual for me to plan anything let alone this far in advance!

Cheers
BD

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Ive just spent an hour or so creating PDF print outs of all the Stellplatz along the Mosel that look nice. Flipping heck there are loads and they all look great.

BD

Yes they are Barry, we've gone up and down the valley with the RV and you will be spoiled for choice... can't go wrong :thumb:

Worth a mention.

Enkirch GPS: 49.9841 7.1193
huge aire on the river bank, short walk into town with some nice shops.. passenger ferry from site to rail station on other side, service to Trier and Koblenz.

Alf GPS: 50.0526 7.1124
nice aire adjacent to public swimming pool ..

In France: (close to Germany and Luxembourg)

Stenay Aire GPS: 49.4905 5.1836
Beside the canal and boat marina
Toilets and showers included , with EHU

Montherme GPS: 49.8863 4.7354
Free parking by the riverside with a service aire in town

See all with photos in the Google map link in signature

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Look up Aiguile du Midi - essential to do it before you die, or maybe afterwards if the god botherers have got it right.

Switzerland has it's version, the Junkfraujoch Railway, not done this, very pricey.

Chamonix - great camping right in the centre next to the hospital, great tourist trap at tourist trap prices.

Agree, the Aguille du Midi is a stunning experience, not to be missed...... 12602 feet.

30 deg C + down in the valley, sub zero up at the top, good job I had my bike jacket on..

Attachments

• 2003_0912_122402AA.jpg
    2003_0912_122402AA.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2003_0912_113931AA.jpg
    2003_0912_113931AA.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2003_0912_122940AA.jpg
    2003_0912_122940AA.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 11
  • aiguille_du_midi_chamonix.jpg
    aiguille_du_midi_chamonix.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks for these great responses chaps, really useful stuff.

Fantastic photos!

BD

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Your trip sounds great i have one question for you, can i fit in the van:ROFLMAO:

Firstly if your going to brugge try the Aire at the bus depot it is right in the centre of town it does cost about 10 euro but has hook up and great location.

We went to Annecy in 2009 end of july never book and first site we turned up at had space it was La Ravoire and if you drive about 1 mile past it there is a lovely mh area not greatly sign posted but if you go on to cycle route near La Ravoire you will see it. Dont know what was on it but nice looking. We also drove the mh into Annecy for the day and got parked up ok.

If your going to Lake Garda it say go for it as we went last year and loved it we had booked site with cc but turned up 2 days early and tried to get a site and struggled so phone the one we had booked and got in then noticed an Aire close by. If you get a site close to the railway you can go to Venice for the day easy and think it was about 30euro for the 3 of us return.

We have drove through Germany and used the stellplatz and found them really good took awhile to get the hang of the book but was easy after a while. I would recommend the city of ULM.

Also if you can manage it id go to Innsbruck as we stayed there for 3 days last summer and really loved it, loads to do in the city and stunning area.

If needing any more info please feel free to ask.

Gerry

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Thanks very much. I like the idea of getting the train into Venice. We could just leave the scooter at the Station for the day I guess.

Im just debating the route back perhaps via the French riviera then up through the Tarn Gorges, Dordogne then a slow trip back up through France. I dont think 2 months is going to be long enough!

Cheers
Barry

OP
OP
barryd

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Just a thought but I wondered last night about doing this trip in reverse. I.e Chamonix then Italy and then work my way back through Switzerland, France and Germany in August.

Which will be the busiest month in Italy, July or August? Or will they both be mad? We did Maggiore in early July and it was busy but not too bad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back