LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Updating maps from the website on my new Garmin (a Christmas present from the wife, but we don't rush into things, must have saved all of a tenner waiting 'til now). :ROFLMAO:

It's telling me there's an estimated 9 hours remaining on the download plus another hour or more to install. :whatthe:
Now, given we're miles from the exchange and only get about a 1.5 meg connection from our old bit of green copper wire, and probably even less in practice, but should it take that long? If so I might be gone some time and not even make it to Newark at this rate. :Sad:

Edit: Blimey now saying 11 hours!

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Updating maps from the website on my new Garmin (a Christmas present from the wife, but we don't rush into things, must have saved all of a tenner waiting 'til now). :ROFLMAO:

It's telling me there's an estimated 9 hours remaining on the download plus another hour or more to install. :whatthe:
Now, given we're miles from the exchange and only get about a 1.5 meg connection from our old bit of green copper wire, and probably even less in practice, but should it take that long? If so I might be gone some time and not even make it to Newark at this rate. :Sad:

I've got this to look forward to, my map updates expires on 18th April, better start now. P.S. Did you manage to get a Free Safety camera update before that expired?

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

When I loader the update maps into my Garmin Nuvi 5000 it took 36 hours on our bit of copper wire. Line speed varied berween 0.5 and 1meg. Not bad for an 8 meg connection according to BT.

Last update I did was at our sons house on his high speed connection. It took about an hour.

I no longer have a landline so we do what we need when we visit family.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I've recently done a software update to my Garmin Nuvi 1310 after I returned the unit to Halfords as the voice guidance would not work when first switched on. In fact I had to switch it on and off 4 or 5 times to make it work, which takes a long time while it loads maps.
Halfords phoned Garmin in front of me and were told that before they would authorise an exchange I had to do a software update which would take about 15 minutes - after an hour it appeared to freeze. In fact it stood still for so long that I tried to cancel the download to try again and it warned me that if I cancelled it could render my unit inoperable but it didn't seem to be uploading at all so I cancelled it and tried again. It worked this time but still took about 40 minutes but at least now the voice guidance seems to be working OK.
A map update costs around £40 for a one-off or £70 for a lifetime. I don't think I'll bother.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
No mention of it in downloads or freebies but I've got the 1690 with nulink so that would be automatic, for the first year at least.

Hi Rolfarris, mine is a 1490T (need the big screen, eyes suffer from the short arm syndrome) I thought the safety camera updates were inclusive but after an initial month trial I need to subscribe to update whenever I want to. Looking at local council reactions to having to maintain the cameras but pass the spoils onto government I think we will see less cameras not more being added.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Cannot beat the old street pilot 111

I still use my Garmin Street Pilot 111 ... Great bit of kit..

Ok no longer sold in the UK or the USA, but still current in South Africa!!!! But down loads were easy on line or by way of a CD..

Your down load speeds remind me of up dating the iPad ... I have had to do a reinstall .. Took 5 hours...(photos).... They sell these things, but seem to forget to tell you of these bad down load speeds... The Snooper is a lot better... Re down loads .

Bob

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I recently did a map update for my nuvi 255W. I went for the lifetime updates option towards the end of last year....so wait for Garmin to stop supporting this model in a week's time :roflmto:

Chose to just do the UK & Ireland maps.....took about 45 minutes on 2.5-ish MB ADSL.

I never subscribed to the speed camera updates - it never seemed to be up-to-date during the trial period.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bailey58

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Well, up at 06.10 for the loo and a cuppa and it's done. Bit early for me though, will check it later. :Smile:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
When I loader the update maps into my Garmin Nuvi 5000 it took 36 hours on our bit of copper wire. Line speed varied berween 0.5 and 1meg. Not bad for an 8 meg connection according to BT.

Last update I did was at our sons house on his high speed connection. It took about an hour.

I no longer have a landline so we do what we need when we visit family.

Joan and I have just been discussing this and she tells me I am suffering from short memory. She tells me it took a full week to download the update maps as the computer kept freezing and had to be restarted over and over again.

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
The lunchtime news in Bristol has reported that local speed cameras are being turned off at the end of next week. Apparently, neither the council nor the police can afford the running costs!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back