The definitive passport answer. (1 Viewer)

igcw9170

Free Member
Apr 12, 2010
swansea
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
My wife and son have decided that our house suffers from a lack of pets and so have invested in two jack russell puppies. As we now holiday in a motorhome, it would of course be possible to take them with us, even abroad. So I have begun to look into the proceedure for getting a pet passport and it seems that each site that you visit has a slightly different take on the requirements and the timescale of getting one. I am sure that there are several of you that have actually gone through this process so any pointers would be great.

Thanks

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
As per usual you will get quite a mixed confusing story off here albeit it will be very well intentioned.

I sugest you go onto the DEFRA website they are the Government department that make the rules.

If that does not explain everything then get back with specific questions.

Just make sure that you cross all the T's and dot all the I's as the slightest error and you will not get your dogs back without quarantine, and you will not be made aware of any errors on the way out.

Do not let me put you off as we and many many others take our dogs abroad on a regular basis.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hi, have a chat with your vet?

Ours certainly seems to be well up on the preceedures involved.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
:Smile:We had our Jack Russel Rosie vacinated and obtained her passport last year. It takes a while to go through the injection procedure as you have to wait for results, so leave plenty of time. Check with your local vets first and get an idea of their costs. It can vary greatly from vet to vet. :Smile:

The actual process of taking Rosie to France & back was simple & seamless, but we were using the Tunnel as we think it is less stressful for the dog as she stayed with us in the M/H cab for the complete trip
:Smile:

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
As said before only read the DEFRA site and allow plenty of time for vaccinations to take place (think 6months advance). In my experience vets don't know all the answers, Hope all goes well and you certainly got yourself 2 bundles of mischief

Loddy

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Roughly six month if i remember well.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
from start of process to being allowed in and out the country as and when takes 6mths most of this is waiting time, you can take your animal out before the 6mths is up but cant bring it back untill after that first 6mths. Its straight forward as as laneside stated the defra site has all the info. One thing i would do is ring round the vets and see who is most reasonable as prices vary between different surgeries. The animal has to be up to date with all jabs and microchipped before the pet passport can be done.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
You have certainly picked two bundles of energy.... But great fun....

When I lived in France I had two Jack Russels, we had them vaccinated and chipped, as per UK rules to bring them back and forth to the UK. As everyone says just allow plenty of time.

There is a nice campsite near St Omer, at Bruyscheure. 40 mins from the ports of Calais and Dunkirk. Guy (the owner), his wife works at the vets in St Omer and can help you with any requirements you need on the way home.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
You have certainly picked two bundles of energy.... But great fun....

When I lived in France I had two Jack Russels, we had them vaccinated and chipped, as per UK rules to bring them back and forth to the UK. As everyone says just allow plenty of time.

There is a nice campsite near St Omer, at Bruyscheure. 40 mins from the ports of Calais and Dunkirk. Guy (the owner), his wife works at the vets in St Omer and can help you with any requirements you need on the way home.

Can you post the name of the site please:thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Can you post the name of the site please:thumb:

Hi the site is called Camping La Chaumiere, really pleasant, out in the country about 5 miles from St Omer where I used to live., Nice site with small swimming pool, fishing lake, nice walks around, good for the dogs. They are very dog friendly.
Great food in the restaurant. It will be our first and last stop when we go over in the van in August and September. Free wifi in the bar area....:thumb:

It's one of those sites you do not want to tell your friends about and keep to yourself.:cry:
See reviews on UK Campsites as well. Thats where I found it....
http://www.campinglachaumiere.com/

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Will watch this thread with interest as we are going next month with Susie. she has her passport.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back