Fiat 2.3 won't start when warm. (1 Viewer)

windsurf

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
uk
Funster No
MH
chausson
Exp
just starting
Any ideas please...just came back from a skiing holiday in France,no problems until after turning the ignition off at the channel tunnel it would not start again for 15 minutes.It done the same when we got home & again a couple of days later.Its a 2007 2.3 8000miles...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
possible ECU confuser problem try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins to let it reset
assuming your van is safe to disconnect.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
possible ECU confuser problem try disconnecting the battery for 10 mins to let it reset
assuming your van is safe to disconnect.

If it starts after 15 minutes, its not worth the effort to disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes. Did you try to remove the ignition key, lock and immobilise the van, then unlock again, maybe it's an immobiliser problem..

They can and do have minds of their own sometimes.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

windsurf

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
uk
Funster No
MH
chausson
Exp
just starting
Have taken keys out,locked & unlocked but still have to wait.Engine spins over but no sign of it starting

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If it starts after 15 minutes, its not worth the effort to disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes. Did you try to remove the ignition key, lock and immobilise the van, then unlock again, maybe it's an immobiliser problem..

They can and do have minds of their own sometimes.......
I was not suggesting it would need doing more than once, just give the ECU a chance to reset and sort itself out. a once only jobbie. Might just sort it if not then next suggestion please.

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Any ideas please...just came back from a skiing holiday in France,no problems until after turning the ignition off at the channel tunnel it would not start again for 15 minutes.It done the same when we got home & again a couple of days later.Its a 2007 2.3 8000miles...

had same symptoms with a renalt espace once, would not start when hot, local garage could not fix ( many years ago) Took car to dealer, plug in computer found fault and fixed within 1/2 hour, could not remember parts were changed or not, but did remember not costing a lot.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Is the problem happening every time when the engine is hot, or is it a dreaded intermittent fault?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Possible air leak - what she like cold?
Relays also prone on these.
The air leak COULD be caused by the fuel rail, which was a recall - but you are around the changeover year - so depends on ther engine number! I would check all fuel lines for leaks, return pipes especially if it is cranking and not starting.

OP
OP
W

windsurf

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
uk
Funster No
MH
chausson
Exp
just starting
I have not had a problem when its been started from cold but i have taken it back to the dealer to sort & they say they have had problems when cold.They have had the injector pump checked ok & suspect a faulty electrical signal to the pump....just thought there are no new problems & someone may have had a similar problem.When it runs it has been faultless

OP
OP
W

windsurf

Free Member
Nov 23, 2010
uk
Funster No
MH
chausson
Exp
just starting
Just thought i would drop a note to conclude my problem.After leaving it with the dealer they found that the ecu was at fault & changed it under warranty,not only that they handed the van back cleaner than it was when new superb service from TC Motorhomes in Herne Bay Kent.Many thanks for all your responses........

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back