LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We are testing the water at the moment - we are considering a trip into Morrocco next winter sometime as well as touring Portugal and Spain. We were wondering if there were any other funsters that would like to join us in Morrocco for a good time but also for moral support. We spent a couple of months touring Morrocco back in the eighties and would love to go again.

You never know group discounts might be available on ferries, something to look into.

This is not a pay to join group, just a group of Funsters touring together. If anyone is interested in this let us know, then we can decide when would be the ideal time for everyone, we have our own ideas but are flexible.

If you have been before and fancy going again, your input would be invaluable.

Nigel and Pamala

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am sure snowy and me would be interested.

If I have not sold the RV might well be towing a caravan is this possible?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I am sure snowy and me would be interested.

If I have not sold the RV might well be towing a caravan is this possible?

No reason why not John, we saw many touring caravans while we were there.. mostly German and Dutch ..

Ray, Desert Detours, has also done all caravan tours..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
We will be interested when more information and details are posted

thanks

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have always fancied visiting Morrocco, will follow this thread with interest. :thumb:

Brisey.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If you have been before and fancy going again, your input would be invaluable.

Nigel and Pamala

I have pencilled this in for next Feb, it has to be Feb due to family events. Part of The Zahora Experience.

We did Desert Detours in 09.

My current thinking is straight to Agadir ( we did not see with Ray ) and work our way back as temperatures increase. I had in mind Agadir/Essouria/Marrakesh.

Camping round Agadir unknown.
Essouria camping not pretty but adequate. Lovely resort town.
Marrakesh excellent site, needs taxi to and from city.

We saw loads of other places with Ray, but on the Yank basis "It's Wednesday this must be Meknes". A very good taster but debatable whether route march or holiday.

I have the feeling that every day it becomes less and less Moroccan. So grab it while it's there.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
We did Desert Detours in 09.

My current thinking is straight to Agadir ( we did not see with Ray ) and work our way back as temperatures increase. I had in mind Agadir/Essouria/Marrakesh.

Camping round Agadir unknown.
Essouria camping not pretty but adequate. Lovely resort town.
Marrakesh excellent site, needs taxi to and from city.

We saw loads of other places with Ray, but on the Yank basis "It's Wednesday this must be Meknes". A very good taster but debatable whether route march or holiday.

I have the feeling that every day it becomes less and less Moroccan. So grab it while it's there.

That sounds like a good plan if it's the winter sun you are looking for, straight down the N1 Motorway .. However, by all accounts, Agar is a tourist destination, akin to a Spanish costa, not my personal choice but has all the 'amenities' of a modern resort.
Large modern camping site on the coast. Atlantica Parc. http://www.atlanticaparc.com/ To the best of my knowledge wild camping has been banned on much of the Atlantic coast ..

Also did the DD trip in 2007 and agree it was only a taster and not enough time to explore properly.
Would love to go back and do the same route but spread over two months rather than three weeks and explore the coast south of Agadir.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Large modern camping site on the coast. Atlantica Parc. http://www.atlanticaparc.com/

Would love to go back and do the same route but spread over two months rather than three weeks and explore the coast south of Agadir.

That site looks good. €10 a day inc electricity. It's about 500 miles from the ports, so the biggest diesel spend by far is in Europe.

Yes, months rather than weeks is needed ideally.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I would love to do this and start saving now if its on.

Note to self, sell RV and 2 caravans clear credit card and buy nice Hymer.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I would love to do this and start saving now if its on.

Note to self, sell RV and 2 caravans clear credit card and buy nice Hymer.

Sounds like a good plan John and something to aim for next year, will soon come around also possibly downsize your vehicle could help if you sell the caravans and buy that Hymer:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Kath

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We plan to spend about two months in Morocco (you have a 90 day visa on entry if British citizen) taking the following route after we all meet at Zahora, if any of you can't stay that long, you can travel with us until you have to leave, but of course you will have to make your own way back to the ferry, unless there are others that are on limited time and you can then travel together:

Take the ferry from Algeceris to Ceuta, then travel south to Agadir, taking in Casablanca and Rabat on the way down. From Agadir head slightly north to Palm Valley and take an unpaved road across to a bitumen road that leads north to Marrakesh. From there we travel south to Ouarzazate and then onto Agdz. We then head east to Todra Gorge and Erfoud where we take a small detour into the Sahara desert. From there head north to Fez and then north again back to Ceuta.

This is the route we plan and nothing is set in stone, ie there is an alternative route to Marrakesh if anyone feels uneasy taking an unpaved road.

Our trip will be a suck it and see sort of trip, it will not be regimented AT ALL, obviously there has to be some sort of organisation i.e. camping places organised beforehand if there are several vehicles in the group.

We believe there should be no more than 10 vehicles, and these may be split in two during the day for ease of travel. Each evenings destination will be given and you would have a choice whether you keep in a group or make your own way there, especially if you decide to visit museums etc. on route (we don't do museums, seen enough ruins to last us a lifetime) or you may do earlies, we don't, so you can leave early and meet up in the evening.

We must stress that we do not and will not travel at high speed, we like to see and enjoy the countryside around us, where the road is good enough we run at 60mph, it's good for fuel economy as well. Again if you wish to travel faster then you are more than welcome to do so, then meet up at that nights stopover.

When we went to Morocco back in the eighties we free camped most of the time and we know that it is now frowned upon so we would appreciate any info. that recent visitors may have on this.

We think all of Feb and March would be ideal, yes you will get cold days and even wet ones (we had a lot of rain when we went in Feb.) but that's a chance we take, you will get some nice weather but it will not be 110 degrees.

So if this has whet your appetite stay tuned and let us know what you think.

Nigel and Pamala

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Nigel and Pamela

We went to Morocco on our own in the winter of 2008/2009.

We toured independently. We did go down a south to Agadir and stayed at Atlantic parc, the price quoted on their website does seem a good price, we paid more but was there at Xmas time. I would say that you would definately have to prebook Camping Atlantic to make sure you all could fit it, when we were leaving after a week there, there was a queue of about 70 motorhomes waiting for people to leave and for them to get in.

It is very much a touristy 4 star sight, lots of dutch and Germans and French stay there for 3-6months for the winter. Our friends who stayed for 6 months 3 years running got their visas extended by Atlantic parc one of the services there that they run. If you want a safe base its great, large plots are available for RVs and some a plumbe in. This site is increasing in plots all the time. They now offer drinking water throughout the site which is great. Washing machines were expensive something like 8 euros or about a 5pounds. The swimming pool was too cold to swim in but I think they had use of an indoor one on certain times too. There is a beach in walking distance.

As stated before it is a touristy site but probably the best one in Morocco, Agadir is 20km south of the site, so need a car or other transport to get there. There is a lot of building work going on along the coast there.

We did find a quite site about 60km south of agadir which was just a base again just on the coast but with no facilities, and would be to tight to get RVS in.

Essouira is a must, has a nice vibe about it.

Marrakesh the site is nice and a taxi was about 10 euros for two couples. It is a must for a visit, but I think three days there is more than ample.

The sahara , erg chebbi was wonderful and a ride on a camel compulsory.

Dades and Todra gorges were great too.

Meknes the campsite just outside the town walls was closed last year when our friends were there, would need to fin out if open again.

Fes is great, but some people opt to stay outside of Fes and get the train or other transport in.. In the winter anything north of the atlas mountains can be cold, so by heading down to Agadir for the beginning bit is a good idea, it would also get people a bit used to Morrocco.

We also love Chefchouan in the north as a first stop but not suitable for RVS.
And not neccesarily in the right direction for straight down on the motorway.

Rabat and Casablanca we didnt stop at so cant comment.

Obviously Morrocco is changing quickly and some of the places for stopping at change.

You never know we might be available to come to, but need to keep a bit fluid at the later, early part of the year, depending on our plans. But we might also just want to get away to the sunshine so could be tempted.

Pat

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
take a small detour into the Sahara desert.
Nigel and Pamala

At your peril !

I'm still clearing sand out of bikes and MH. I would not do it again and risk more damage. If you want sand go to Blackpool, it doesn't get blown as badly.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
At your peril !

I'm still clearing sand out of bikes and MH. I would not do it again and risk more damage. If you want sand go to Blackpool, it doesn't get blown as badly.

No wonder they are running out of sand in the sahara with everyone nicking it:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
How can you go so close to the sahara without going to see it - we must have been fortunate when we went as we did not have the same problems with sand - will have no qualms about going again, but if others do not want to take the chance, that is their choice.

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Nigel and Pamela

We went to Morocco on our own in the winter of 2008/2009.

We toured independently. We did go down a south to Agadir and stayed at Atlantic parc, the price quoted on their website does seem a good price, we paid more but was there at Xmas time. I would say that you would definately have to prebook Camping Atlantic to make sure you all could fit it, when we were leaving after a week there, there was a queue of about 70 motorhomes waiting for people to leave and for them to get in.

It is very much a touristy 4 star sight, lots of dutch and Germans and French stay there for 3-6months for the winter. Our friends who stayed for 6 months 3 years running got their visas extended by Atlantic parc one of the services there that they run. If you want a safe base its great, large plots are available for RVs and some a plumbe in. This site is increasing in plots all the time. They now offer drinking water throughout the site which is great. Washing machines were expensive something like 8 euros or about a 5pounds. The swimming pool was too cold to swim in but I think they had use of an indoor one on certain times too. There is a beach in walking distance.

As stated before it is a touristy site but probably the best one in Morocco, Agadir is 20km south of the site, so need a car or other transport to get there. There is a lot of building work going on along the coast there.

We did find a quite site about 60km south of agadir which was just a base again just on the coast but with no facilities, and would be to tight to get RVS in.

Essouira is a must, has a nice vibe about it.

Marrakesh the site is nice and a taxi was about 10 euros for two couples. It is a must for a visit, but I think three days there is more than ample.

The sahara , erg chebbi was wonderful and a ride on a camel compulsory.

Dades and Todra gorges were great too.

Meknes the campsite just outside the town walls was closed last year when our friends were there, would need to fin out if open again.

Fes is great, but some people opt to stay outside of Fes and get the train or other transport in.. In the winter anything north of the atlas mountains can be cold, so by heading down to Agadir for the beginning bit is a good idea, it would also get people a bit used to Morrocco.

We also love Chefchouan in the north as a first stop but not suitable for RVS.
And not neccesarily in the right direction for straight down on the motorway.

Rabat and Casablanca we didnt stop at so cant comment.

Obviously Morrocco is changing quickly and some of the places for stopping at change.

You never know we might be available to come to, but need to keep a bit fluid at the later, early part of the year, depending on our plans. But we might also just want to get away to the sunshine so could be tempted.

Pat

Hi Pat - thanks for all the above info. much appreciated. There is plenty of research for us to do before making any commitments.

If you have the opportunity of joining us, would this be in your new travel mobile ,perhaps??? If it is, it will be a good shake-down trip for it.

Nigel and Pamala

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Pam and Nigel

I doubt the beast would be ready then, but who knows, but if we have a bit of down time waiting fo rthe box to be built we might take off then.

I agree too you can miss the sahara, we stayed just on the edge of it on a small enclosed campsite and the walls protected us from some of the sand. I must admit we did suffer from some creaking underneath for a few months due to rubbish getting into our many leaf springs.

But like you say it not an organised tour and people could either stay put or catch up or leave as they so wish.

The great thing about Morocco is that it is so different with many different wonderful scenes opening up before your eyes. Its not europe though, and people must be aware of this before embarking on a tour.

Pat

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Morocco Board .Com

No doubt you are keeping a close eye on the N African situation to see how it pans out .. hopefully the protests in Morocco won't come to much.

Useful information site .. Link Removed

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
How can you go so close to the sahara without going to see it - we must have been fortunate when we went as we did not have the same problems with sand - will have no qualms about going again, but if others do not want to take the chance, that is their choice.

Nigel and Pamala

Ray regularly takes back broken awnings in his truck. It can go from dead calm to gale in minutes, which it did for us. But forewarned all the awnings were tucked away. We had the toilet window open one click, *mistake*. But it got everywhere anyway.

If you think Blackpool is down market then try Lytham St Annes.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well I will definatly be up for this as I have fallen out with Spain recently.
I would love to do another tour and will look up my maps of the last couple of tours and put some input in.
Have done 2 X 3 month tours in the past,so if my memory holds out I should have some input soon.
Both trips were through Tangier as there used to be problems getting out of the Spanish enclave,but having said that times change.
It is possible to get a 6 month visa so maybe that's an option for those that would like to spend a little more time out there.
I have a friend who drives down to the Gambia every year and would maybe like to join him after Morocco. Will look forward to this one as have been static to long now.

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
my post was meant to say that you cant miss the Sahara. (slip)

I think we will have to keep a keen eye on the problems in Africa, but its a long way off yet and much can change.

We will have to find out more from people who have been down there this winter.
When they get back.

I couldnt believe how many people go down there for the winter, thousands and thousands mainly french, german and dutch though.

Pat

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Ok, I will pencil it in for the return trip in 2036 upon my retirement ::bigsmile:

Would really love to go and wish all you travellers the best of luck with it. about 15 years to early for me and Nikki though, :Sad:

Enjoy your:thumb:selves

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Ok, I will pencil it in for the return trip in 2036 upon my retirement ::bigsmile:

Would really love to go and wish all you travellers the best of luck with it. about 15 years to early for me and Nikki though, :Sad:

Enjoy your:thumb:selves

Wot the NHS retire you at 75 now then?:Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Nigel and Pamala,here is the route of my last Morocco trip,I hope it will help with your plans.
I took the ferry from Algeciras to Tangier booked by Galtieres behind the Carrefour at Algeciras,i think it was about 180 Euros return for a 9 metre RV.
I drove down the coast road to Asilah and wild camped there for a couple of days.Then took the motorway down to El Jadida where I wild camped there for a further 2 days. Then took the coast road R301 down to Sidi Bouchta where I wild camped for a further 2 days,then carried on down the R 301 coast road to Essaouira where I wild camped in the harbour for 4 days.
Then on down the N 1 coast road to Taghazout where I have parked on the beach and on Atlantica Park.The bus goes into Agadir on a regular basis so no problems there.
After about 7 weeks in and around Agadir I took the N8 over the Atlas to Marrakech where I parked on the truck park in the centre of town by the big mosque for 1 Euro per night.Its a 5 minute walk to the big square.
After a week of sampling the delights of Marrakech I took the N9 to Tizi n Tichka staying on a good campsite there for a couple of days at 2 Euros per night.
then still on the N9 to Quarzazate where I stayed on a campsite behind the hotel for 2 Euros per night and a very good restaurant adjoining.
After a couple of days off agin along the N10 to the Todra gorge where there is a super campsite.but unfortunately 3 Euros per night,but they did have a good restaurant and cheap.
after a few days on to Merzouga where a good camping is found at the end of the dirt road behind the hotel 2 Euros per night.Here you are by the huge sand dunes ant the start of the desert.
Then I started to head north stopping at Errachidia,and then a few days in Meknes,before the drive back up to Tangier.
This trip took the full 3 months but gave a good insight into the different areas of Marrocco.

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Nigel, Pamela
Just out of curiosity will you be travelling with the demountable or the 5er?

Thanks
Neil and Jan

Hi Neil and Jan

We will be in the demountable, our plan is to use the fifth wheel touring this country and the demountable when travelling abroad, as we like to go to out of the way places, also it will be cheaper on ferries and toll roads.

VWAlan a member on here takes his fifth wheel down to Morocco every year.

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
Sundowners

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Nigel and Pamala,here is the route of my last Morocco trip,I hope it will help with your plans.
I took the ferry from Algeciras to Tangier booked by Galtieres behind the Carrefour at Algeciras,i think it was about 180 Euros return for a 9 metre RV.
I drove down the coast road to Asilah and wild camped there for a couple of days.Then took the motorway down to El Jadida where I wild camped there for a further 2 days. Then took the coast road R301 down to Sidi Bouchta where I wild camped for a further 2 days,then carried on down the R 301 coast road to Essaouira where I wild camped in the harbour for 4 days.
Then on down the N 1 coast road to Taghazout where I have parked on the beach and on Atlantica Park.The bus goes into Agadir on a regular basis so no problems there.
After about 7 weeks in and around Agadir I took the N8 over the Atlas to Marrakech where I parked on the truck park in the centre of town by the big mosque for 1 Euro per night.Its a 5 minute walk to the big square.
After a week of sampling the delights of Marrakech I took the N9 to Tizi n Tichka staying on a good campsite there for a couple of days at 2 Euros per night.
then still on the N9 to Quarzazate where I stayed on a campsite behind the hotel for 2 Euros per night and a very good restaurant adjoining.
After a couple of days off agin along the N10 to the Todra gorge where there is a super campsite.but unfortunately 3 Euros per night,but they did have a good restaurant and cheap.
after a few days on to Merzouga where a good camping is found at the end of the dirt road behind the hotel 2 Euros per night.Here you are by the huge sand dunes ant the start of the desert.
Then I started to head north stopping at Errachidia,and then a few days in Meknes,before the drive back up to Tangier.
This trip took the full 3 months but gave a good insight into the different areas of Marrocco.

Hi Dave

Thanks a lot for putting this information forward for everyone to see. We will file this and will no doubt refer to it later when planning our route.

It will be great to have you with us.

It would be nice to free camp but if we get a few coming it might not be so easy as one or two on their own.

As far as any political problems that ScotJim mentioned, we are all aware of the problems in North Africa at the moment and we would have no desire to run into a volatille situation, of course we will keep an eye on things before making any final commitment, as we are sure everyone else will too.

Nigel and Pamala

Onderweg

Funster
Jul 17, 2008
Vlissingen, Holland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As of April 2008
Hi Nigel and Pamala,

Cheyne alerted us to this post in the chat yesterday.
Morocco is on our todo list as well. It might be that the timing is a little bit bad for us, but we will watch this thread.

Paul and Ineke

bambi 2

Free Member
Jun 7, 2009
france, (Aveyron)
Funster No
MH
A class.
Exp
26 years
fancy a trip to Morocco

We have just returned from a lovely 3 month trip to Morocco and if all goes well we shall be there again for 4 months next winter, we crossed on the Tangier Med it's a lovely new port and the trip over is just one hour, we had non of the touts trying to get money from you for helping with your paper work, as we did at Cueta and the old Tangier port when we went before, we then went straight on to the motorway and had a very easy trip all the way to Agadir, last year when we stopped at the port in Essuara we were charged 40 dirhams a night and this year Marakesh site was 70 dirhams, the Atlantica Park site near Taghazout charged 90 dirhams dropping to 80 after something like 15 days, 50 dirhams at Sidi Ifni, so that gives you a clue on prices when we were leaving we saw masses of wild campers on the beach at Taghazoute and even the water tanker was delivering to them. bambi2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back