Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am in the process of cleaning my little old Avondale caravan ready for sale. Now the curtains are OK but early last year a bird got in the van and ended up between the curtains and windows and CRAPPED on the lining of some front curtains, I am scared to washing case it shrinks them any view?

Another pain is the wood effect on the area below the sink has wiped off literally so showing the area cream area below it and looks awful.

Now this is a nice 1991 starter lightweight van and dry as a bone but this hits you straight off, scared to paint over it as would look a bodge. Any ideas?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Could you cover the piece under the sink , with wood grain sticky back plastic. It would depend on the shade of wood of course.
As for the curtains. Id bite the bullet and wash them on a delicates wash , our washer has a setting for this and it does what it says on the tin.( So check yours has first.)
I washed Isabels cream silk with black embroidery bridesmaid dress.:whatthe:
Came out lovely . Use non bio powder.
Good Luck.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Only a suggestion John,try the sticky back vinyl or you could mask it off and try using undercoat-scumble oil -then clear varnish to tidy it up.The curtains try the oxy stuff sprayed on and dabbed off with towel
terry
Undercoat let dry- Scumble on, get a dry brush and using wavy motion leave grain marks/effect let dry then varnish :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
This little caravan is a lovely little van but this hits you straight off, I am gutted as cosmetics do make a difference. Years in the motor trade taught me that:Doh:

Thanks for the tips Bev & Terry:thumb::winky:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
How about Fablon wood effect stuff for the panel? Your curtains should be ok to wash on a cool wash. However as I am a bloke, I am no expert on washing fabrics :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Agree about washing the curtains John .. :thumb:

but would leave the worn surface as it is .... covering with Fablon or painting would put me off buying...

Better an 'honest' van than a bodged one.. just my opinion :Smile:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Agree about washing the curtains John .. :thumb:

but would leave the worn surface as it is .... covering with Fablon or painting would put me off buying...

Better an 'honest' van than a bodged one.. just my opinion :Smile:

Snap

Going to try and scare it off so is just white/cream and be honest as that's what the old girl is, really modern fore it year, cassette toilet. gas/electric water heater. Got a lot going for it.

Just come in for a rest as knackered polishing.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
As a female LOL I agree with Jim - I'd rather know exactly what I'm getting thanks! (Unless you are going to do all of it, or it will exactly match)

Would the curtains be velvet perchance? - if so they are very likely to be dralon and will defo wash beautifully - is there not a handy female who could have a look at the material and venture a first hand opinion?

Or a very close -up pic of the fabric?

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Trouble is doing it all would defo worry me as to WHY?

Going to just take back the worst area to cream and leave it as it is.

Got the curtains in now "special hand wash" :wooo::wooo::wooo::wooo::wooo:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You reminded me of my old Avocet!

I bought it for ÂŁ200, and rebuilt electrics, a wall (damp) replaced a window/sky light, recovered upholstery had two sets of curtains (thick winter, light cotton summer)

My 'expert' bit was the creme stripe around the outside! I painstakingly masked over the 'Avondale' and painted the stripe around the body with stone effect paint (to hide ally perforation repairs) Kept it for a year or two and sold for ÂŁ750!:thumb:

Oh! The cupboards were painted with 'kitchen cupboard door paint' and looked ok when applied with paint pads (no brush marks) Washable too! The first colour in these pics can out a little pink looking, so we went and repainted a creme before sale)

Attachments

• S5030457.jpg
    S5030457.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 35
  • S5030458.jpg
    S5030458.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 35
  • S5030459.jpg
    S5030459.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
was going to suggest a wool wash cycle John....then hang to dry.

bird shit is acidic but shouldnt leave a mark.

On the lining, hung drying now looking Ok.

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Well they have just gone back in beautifully, that little old caravans as dry as a bone cos all round the windows are perfectly dry. I am very proud of my washing skills this time::bigsmile:

Good little van for the new owner when i find them.

Thanks for all the advice:thumb:

Ads going in tomorrow.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
You reminded me of my old Avocet!

I bought it for ÂŁ200, and rebuilt electrics, a wall (damp) replaced a window/sky light, recovered upholstery had two sets of curtains (thick winter, light cotton summer)

My 'expert' bit was the creme stripe around the outside! I painstakingly masked over the 'Avondale' and painted the stripe around the body with stone effect paint (to hide ally perforation repairs) Kept it for a year or two and sold for ÂŁ750!:thumb:

Oh! The cupboards were painted with 'kitchen cupboard door paint' and looked ok when applied with paint pads (no brush marks) Washable too! The first colour in these pics can out a little pink looking, so we went and repainted a creme before sale)

Blimey, I thought I was looking at my old 'van just then.............:Eeek:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well they have just gone back in beautifully, that little old caravans as dry as a bone cos all round the windows are perfectly dry. I am very proud of my washing skills this time::bigsmile:

Ads going in tomorrow.

Great , they will smell nice and fresh too since they've been properly washed , hope you find a buyer.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

Ads going in tomorrow.

dont forget "preloved" its free and has worked well for me in the past

just google it

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
I am in the process of cleaning my little old Avondale caravan ready for sale. Now the curtains are OK but early last year a bird got in the van and ended up between the curtains and windows and CRAPPED on the lining of some front curtains, I am scared to washing case it shrinks them any view?

Another pain is the wood effect on the area below the sink has wiped off literally so showing the area cream area below it and looks awful.

Now this is a nice 1991 starter lightweight van and dry as a bone but this hits you straight off, scared to paint over it as would look a bodge. Any ideas?

JHON WHY DID SHE NOT USE THE DOOR AND SHIT IN THE BOG YOU KNOW SOME FUNNY WOMEN:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
JHON WHY DID SHE NOT USE THE DOOR AND SHIT IN THE BOG YOU KNOW SOME FUNNY WOMEN:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I don't normally appreciate (understand) your humour, but I read this pearl about an hour ago and I'm still chuclkling to myself, keep it up!!:ROFLMAO::roflmto::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back