Hymer electric step problem (1 Viewer)

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
Hi all i have a hymer b544 with an electric step that has stopped working,the hymer is 1992.
I have discovered that by connecting the swich wires directly to a battery that the step works perfectly(i had prior to fault finding took the motor off the step and given a good clean!)So the problem seems to be from the main power to the switch,on checking this the current is registering as bad on my circuit tester.
Does anyone know of where the main power leads go to as i have no information and dont fancy riping the hymer apart to look for the electrics.Help is appreciated!

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi there, I can't help you with your particular problem but I have an Omnister Electric step and this stopped working after being laid up for the winter period, but I managed to resolve it quickly after spending several hours changing relays and looking at electrical drawings, all with no effect.

I HIT IT WITH A HAMMER!!!! all working OK now.

It would appear the built in relay gets stuck in one position because it's not being operated very often.

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
I had the same problem it turned out to be a blown fuse.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
I had the same problem it turned out to be a blown fuse.

I thought you would be playing games ::bigsmile:

Ive thought of that but they all appear to be intact plus i am getting some power i am trying to find out where the lead goes to and if there is an inline fuse somewhere.The hymer diagram i have is crap !!

Incidentally if you can find and solve the problem for me i would have sneaked into the arcade and beaten all your scores lol

OP
OP
C

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
Hi there, I can't help you with your particular problem but I have an Omnister Electric step and this stopped working after being laid up for the winter period, but I managed to resolve it quickly after spending several hours changing relays and looking at electrical drawings, all with no effect.

I HIT IT WITH A HAMMER!!!! all working OK now.

It would appear the built in relay gets stuck in one position because it's not being operated very often.

I had done that initially and it worked for me to,but not any more,i am trying to find out where the fuse would be e.t.c as i have no info

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
I thought you would be playing games ::bigsmile:

Ive thought of that but they all appear to be intact plus i am getting some power i am trying to find out where the lead goes to and if there is an inline fuse somewhere.The hymer diagram i have is crap !!

I am not getting in the arcade as much as i used to, we are renovating our house so that is taking quite a bit of my time.:cry:

My step stopped working and i spent days trying to find the problem without success.
Then i was doing another job in the van and i lifted the bench seat up and i found another batch of fuses i did not know about.

OP
OP
C

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
I am not getting in the arcade as much as i used to, we are renovating our house so that is taking quite a bit of my time.:cry:

My step stopped working and i spent days trying to find the problem without success.
Then i was doing another job in the van and i lifted the bench seat up and i found another batch of fuses i did not know about.

I go through the stages of the arcade and then after a day of wasted time decide to do something useful lol

I think i may have to start dismantling things,under my van the electrics seem to go into some box chasis so i think i am going to have my work cut out,as i am getting a bit of power to the switch i think there must be a loose connection.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if you are getting some power to the switch then i doubt very much it will be a fuse problem....more likely a bad earth or dirty live connector.
but as it works by bypassing the switch and feed wire it just about rules out a bad earth.

are you checking the voltage at the incoming (live) side of the switch or the outgoing (to step)

OP
OP
C

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
if you are getting some power to the switch then i doubt very much it will be a fuse problem....more likely a bad earth or dirty live connector.
but as it works by bypassing the switch and feed wire it just about rules out a bad earth.

are you checking the voltage at the incoming (live) side of the switch or the outgoing (to step)

Hi pappa i am checking at the feed to the switch(live side)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
thought it may be the other side and a faulty switch problem.

there may be another circuit before the switch to retract the step when the ignition is turned on...safety over ride...if one is fitted !

if you can get the step out then reconnect the switch, turn on the ignition and see if it retracts....that will illiminate the ignition side of it.

easier to trace one circuit rather than two.:thumb:

OP
OP
C

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
thought it may be the other side and a faulty switch problem.

there may be another circuit before the switch to retract the step when the ignition is turned on...safety over ride...if one is fitted !

if you can get the step out then reconnect the switch, turn on the ignition and see if it retracts....that will illiminate the ignition side of it.

easier to trace one circuit rather than two.:thumb:

I am on holiday tommorow so i think i may have to give up until after i have a spare habitational battery so may just use the switch cables to operate the step lol,i think its a case of finding out where it goes to.

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Hi I had a problem my omni step which was a very annoying as it worked fine then stopped working and could not find a fault., and the use of the step was a lucky dip. In my local accessory shop I found a new switch for under £10 took a gamble and bought 1. When fitted problem stopped!

All the best
Rob

www.VANPLUSdirect.co.uk
They are based in Crosshands

OP
OP
C

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
Hi rob i believe my problem is poor voltage the batteries are fully charged but i am not getting the coorect power through the cables.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back