Newbie with a battery question (1 Viewer)

millso

Free Member
Mar 10, 2011
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out if my leisure battery has had it; firstly the viewing lens goes green to indicate fully charged after a few hours of EHU, but within an hour its white again saying it needs a recharge...

I have tried a car battery instead for an hour and that hasn't lost charge, which suggests their isn't a drain.

I have also tested the output via a voltmeter whilst connected to the mains and got 13.3 from the terminals for the car battery but only 11.6 for the leisure.

If I test the leisure battery directly it doesn't even give a reading, whilst the car battery is 12.6.

I am very (very) new to all this stuff and am just going on what i've been advised to test, from the results would you say the leisure battery is knackered (its not showing Red in the viewing lens to indicate its completely done), or is there a way of seemingly bringing it back from the brink?

John

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am very (very) new to all this stuff and am just going on what i've been advised to test, from the results would you say the leisure battery is knackered (its not showing Red in the viewing lens to indicate its completely done), or is there a way of seemingly bringing it back from the brink?

John

Sounds past it. A conditioning charger just might kick it into life but if you've not got one you might as well spend the money on a new battery.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Have you checked the battery levels ? Might need topping up nwith distilled water and then a good charge - worth a try :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

millso

Free Member
Mar 10, 2011
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Have you checked the battery levels ? Might need topping up nwith distilled water and then a good charge - worth a try :Smile:

Not heard of putting water in a battery before... Is this for real or are you winding me up? :Doh:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Deffo not a windup. Add distilled (or deionised) water so that the level is just above the plates.
The electrolyte level will graually go down to to evaporation and electrolysis during charging. The acid is not lost, only the water.

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Some batteries can be topped up and will have either screw caps to the cells, or a plate that can be carefullt prized up to reveal the cells.
Other batteries are maintenance free and access to the cells is usually sealed. If you have a maintenance free jobbie, it sounds like it may be knackered. Shouls be plenty of bargain leisure batteries at the Newark Show :Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not heard of putting water in a battery before... Is this for real or are you winding me up? :Doh:
As this practise appears Alian to you
Deionised water is available at most accessory shops in Ltr bottles
If you find your self stuck without or like me are too tight to pay for it:RollEyes:
Boil some water and allow to cool or thaw out some ice cubes and use that:thumb:
Both processes produce near "Deiornised" water for a battery top up although Im sure the purists (I can think of one)would dissagree:winky:
google it for your self

OP
OP
M

millso

Free Member
Mar 10, 2011
Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Some batteries can be topped up and will have either screw caps to the cells, or a plate that can be carefullt prized up to reveal the cells.
Other batteries are maintenance free and access to the cells is usually sealed. If you have a maintenance free jobbie, it sounds like it may be knackered. Shouls be plenty of bargain leisure batteries at the Newark Show :Smile:

After just over an hour without being connected to anything, its gone down to 10.9 so I think its definitely knackered. Its also completely sealed so no where to top up with water... I think a new battery is on the cards :(

Thanks everyone for your help!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi John, If your going to go to rallies or CL or CS sites without electric available see if you can fit two leisure batteries, we fitted ' NEW GENERATION LUCAS LX31MF 113 AH ULTRA DEEP CYCLE LEISURE BATTERY ' ::bigsmile:

http://www.alpha-batteries.co.uk/bu...ltra-deep-cycle-leisure-battery/prod_104.html

Its always good to fit a pair, than one now, then another at a later date.:thumb:
And :welcome: to motorhome fun. :thumb:

Bob and Jane.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
After just over an hour without being connected to anything, its gone down to 10.9 so I think its definitely knackered. Its also completely sealed so no where to top up with water... I think a new battery is on the cards :(

Thanks everyone for your help!
10.5v, with no load and shortly after charging, indicates a battery which is nothing more than a black plastic water carrier.

at 10.9v its unlikely it could recover, without a special charger at least, and your diagnosis is correct....knackered.

a good battery should show around 12.6v a couple of hours after charging and hold that charge for quite a long time...maybe weeks with no load on it. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As this practise appears Alian to you
Deionised water is available at most accessory shops in Ltr bottles
If you find your self stuck without or like me are too tight to pay for it:RollEyes:
Boil some water and allow to cool or thaw out some ice cubes and use that:thumb:
Both processes produce near "Deiornised" water for a battery top up although Im sure the purists (I can think of one)would dissagree:winky:
google it for your self

understandable Geo, i just about paid the equivalent to Perrier water....£3 for 5 ltrs :Eeek:
and used 1 ltr per battery x 4 plus about half a liter spillage :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back