Loch Lomond camping ban approved (1 Viewer)

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
From BBC Scotland website.

New by-laws to ban camping in certain areas of east Loch Lomondside have been approved by the Scottish government.
The legislation, proposed by the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park, is designed to tackle the impact of "irresponsible camping".
Camping is to be outlawed between Drymen and Rowardennan from 1 March to 31 October every year. The law comes into effect from 1 June 2011.
Those found breaching the by-laws could be fined up to £500.
The ban will be policed by park rangers and officers from Central Scotland Police.
A public consultation on the plan was held by the national park last year. Of the 286 responses, 60% were in favour of the ban, the park said.
The new seasonal laws make it an offence to camp in tents or other shelters in the nine-mile stretch between Drymen and Rowardennan, outside designated camping areas.
But the authority has said it has no plans to ban camping in other areas of the national park, which contains 21 Munros.
Anti-social behaviour
A spokeswoman for the national park said the by-laws were just one of a package of measures to improve the experience for visitors and residents within the park.
Work has now started on a new "informal" campsite at Sallochy, which will be managed by the Forestry Commission Scotland.
Environment Minister Roseanna Cunningham said: "East Loch Lomond has come under increasing pressure from litter, campfires and anti-social behaviour over recent years which has threatened to spoil the visitor experience for the many thousands who travel to the area each year.
'Outstanding beauty'
"Camping will still be permitted at designated caravan and camping sites and a new semi-formal camping site is being made available at Sallochy Bay, near Rowardennan.
"These measures are designed to protect and preserve the beauty of the area whilst still providing access for responsible campers."
National Park chief executive Fiona Logan said the by-laws had been proposed because of the "ill-treatment" of the area by a minority of visitors.
She added: "Providing a first class experience to all visitors who come to Loch Lomond and The Trossachs is a top priority for the National Park.
"We want to make sure that this is a family friendly visitor destination that matches other areas of outstanding beauty across the world."

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What surprises me most about this and similar closures discussed this week. Is that Weejocky has not been on to tell us "Told you so" and Link Removed. :roflmto:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
surely this does not include motorhomes and overnight parking/sleeping

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It depends if a motorhome is considered an "other shelter" They are banning tents and other shelters, which I read to mean bivvy bags etc. We'll know soon enough I suppose.

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Motorhomes have never been included in the right to camp outside camping areas in Scotland so as it is already illegal there would be no need to pass a bye-law stating that what is already illegal will be illegal in future too.

Rasmus

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Seems pretty plain to me that "other shelter" encompasses everything, notwithstanding the existing legislation.

I'm sure I recall reading previously that a lot of the trouble is caused by youngsters from the Glasgow area going out in cars and vans as well as tents. I would expect that the wording has been deliberately used as a catch-all.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
and the difference between overnight parking and camping is?
nothing outside the van. It is a distinction used on the continent.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Motorhomes have never been included in the right to camp outside camping areas in Scotland so as it is already illegal there would be no need to pass a bye-law stating that what is already illegal will be illegal in future too.

Rasmus

Correct.

The 'right to roam law' is a much misunderstood 'right'... it does not include motorised vehicles..

Just over a year ago I posted about this proposal ..

Link Removed

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Graham your correct it is the yobs from the city that are spoiling it for everyone. We use LL often for wild camping in mh and often had the police stop for a chat and a cuppa i dont think they are worried about mh's.

Adgeras could you tell me where it says its already illegal for mh's to park/camp for the night in Scotland i agree in places with signs but we have wild all over Scotland and never had a problem with the police as i said above even had them in mh once for a cuppa.

Does this law mean it is ok to camp with no tent or other shelter just sleep on the grass with no shelter as it is really warm in Scotland that time of year:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gerry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
and the difference between overnight parking and camping is?
nothing outside the van. It is a distinction used on the continent.
We've been there before Roger haven't we :Smile: Indeed, I think someone mentioned on a thread only last week that the distinction does not exist in this country. It may well be helpful if it did but, until/unless the law is changed - and that won't happen without lobbying - we are stuck with it.

Graham your correct it is the yobs from the city that are spoiling it for everyone. We use LL often for wild camping in mh and often had the police stop for a chat and a cuppa i dont think they are worried about mh's.

Adgeras could you tell me where it says its already illegal for mh's to park/camp for the night in Scotland i agree in places with signs but we have wild all over Scotland and never had a problem with the police as i said above even had them in mh once for a cuppa.

Does this law mean it is ok to camp with no tent or other shelter just sleep on the grass with no shelter as it is really warm in Scotland that time of year:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Gerry
As Jim points out in his reference to his previous post, there is a great deal of misunderstanding. I've also previously publicised what Cairngorms National Park Authority told me - see Here. As they say, "roadside or car based camping do not fall under the definition of wild camping" so legality or otherwise would be governed by either local or national legislation covering the roads/lay-bys as in the rest of the UK.

Where local legislation is involved, enforcement will probably be nothing to do with the police so not surprising that they make no objection, especially if a cuppa is on offer :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Scarborugh council have overcome the misinterpretation of this rule.

new signs state......

No overnight sleeping in vehicles, no cooking, no camping, no skateboards or micro scooters

or something like that :Doh:

simple enough to understand.

if i get chance i'll take a pic of the sign tomorrow and post it here.

OP
OP
IrasciBill

IrasciBill

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Auto-Roller 500
Exp
Since 2009 (after many years camping)
As has been said elsewhere, it is the yobs who have brought this upon us.
I think, perhaps the term "other shelter" might be a bit like "offensive weapon" - can be interpreted as almost anything if the need arises.
However, this applies to the East side of the Loch only and, as many of you will know, much of the road from Drymen to Rowardennan is not suitable for the larger MHs. Certainly from Balmaha onwards you'd be pushing your luck with anything much bigger than a Transit / VW camper sized vehicle.
What concerns me most, as has been said often on here, is that we all get "tarred with the same brush" in the eyes of some people and it provides "evidence" to re-inforce other restrictions elsewhere.
Presumably, if this ban is properly enforced, the yobs will just go somewhere else and the cycle starts all over again. The yobs get to see and destroy more of our beautiful scenery whilst we, who try to act responsibly, find our world getting smaller every time!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
Presumably, if this ban is properly enforced, the yobs will just go somewhere else and the cycle starts all over again. The yobs get to see and destroy more of our beautiful scenery whilst we, who try to act responsibly, find our world getting smaller every time!

And, unfortunately, will ever be so until the world gets rid of yobs. Trouble is, as always, the cost of specifically targeted enforcement against broad brush measures. People are just not willing to pay it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As has been said elsewhere, it is the yobs who have brought this upon us.

The yobs get to see and destroy more of our beautiful scenery whilst we, who try to act responsibly, find our world getting smaller every time!

Call them whatever, yobs, tossers, freeloaders, they have also been responsible for councils and private landlords banning motorhomes from car parks and beauty spots. Not just in the the UK, but also across Europe,( particularly in Spain and Portugal ), NZ, Australia and Morocco.

As the recession bites, fuel prices and site fees increases, more a more will try to find free camping, it's inevitable that more will follow..

Motorhoming is not the cheap man's hobby it used to be.. how many forget to factor in the cost of sites before buying or before setting off on a tour.. then find they can't afford it.

Getting back to Loch Lomond, the west bank has always been a rowdy place, Billy Connolly sang about it .. has always attracted the louts from Glasgow, only an hour away by train to Balloch , the same louts now use cheap vans and motorbikes, bring shed loads of cheap booze and create mayhem ...

My advice, give it a wide berth, there are plenty, indeed hundreds of other isolated lochs where you can enjoy the beauty of Scotland.. without the tossers giving you and other responsible motorhomers a bad name ..

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time

Gerry

Hi Gerry

It is the same law for all of the UK. The Caravan sites and Control of Development Act 1960. Whilst it is not illegal for the person camping or caravaning it is illegal for the landowner to not prevent it happening. It is the local authority that enforces this act not the police.

The problem is cheap booze and camping equipment being sold in supermarkets.

The Yobs buy cheap booze, a tent and sleeping bag. Go out to the loch and pitch up. They get stoned on booze and drugs. No hygiene considerations with this lot. They then abandon everything or set fire to it in situ when they are done with it.

It is no wonder the authorities feel the need to clamp down on them. If they cut off there supplies it would probably be an easier way to prevent this abuse of the countryside.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back