Peculiar noise! (1 Viewer)

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Hi all, we have a 2005 Autotrail Cheyenne fitted wit a 2.8 Fiat deisel engine, it has done 13000 miles and had the cam belt changed last year due to age rather than mileage.I have a noise that is really bugging me, and as we are taking off on a long European trip shortly I would like to put my mind at rest.When starting the engine from cold there is a sort of rattly almost chain like noise from the top of the engine at the cam belt end.It disappears after a couple of minutes and only reappears when the engine is cold.Any ideas??? I have a mechanic coming round tomorrow to have a listen but was wondering if it is one of those "they all do it things" or similar.
Cheers Paul.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
did they fit the full kit (pulleys etc) or just the belt. I sounds like a dry bearing grumbling use a screwdriver as a stethescope and try to locate the source.

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
It's probably the giggle pin getting worn and rattling against the laughing sprocket.

They all do it :winky:

Loddy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
wot roger said....:roflmto:

if they fitted the full pulley/belt kit it could also be the water pump on its way out.

its advisable to change the water pump at the same time as the cam belt (not many do though !) as the cam belt has to come off to fit it.

only real way to check it is to release the belt tension and see if theres any play/roughness in the pump spindle/bearing...but great care should be taken not to lose the belt timing.

also...it may be a hydraulic tappet/cam follower is bit sticky and frees off when oil pressure increases.

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
wot roger said....:roflmto:

if they fitted the full pulley/belt kit it could also be the water pump on its way out.

its advisable to change the water pump at the same time as the cam belt (not many do though !) as the cam belt has to come off to fit it.

only real way to check it is to release the belt tension and see if theres any play/roughness in the pump spindle/bearing...but great care should be taken not to lose the belt timing.

also...it may be a hydraulic tappet/cam follower is bit sticky and frees off when oil pressure increases.

slacken the belt but don't let it slip !!!!!!!1 your having a laugh, what terrible advise, Post edited by admin - insult removed:Doh:

Loddy :Doh:

Last edited by a moderator:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
if you have hydraulic tappets probably one of those rattling until charged with oil. I have had the same problem with a couple of engines over the years and ignored it..... never gave me any trouble :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Loddy;405231[HI said:
]slacken the belt but don't let it slip !!!!!![/HI]!1 your having a laugh, what terrible advise, Post edited by admin - insult removed:Doh:

Your words, Not Johns
What a terrible comment:RollEyes:

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
Release the belt tension = slackening the belt
dont lose the timing = dont let it slip

Post edited by admin - insult removed

I said what terrible advise and it is, how do you know the original poster don't know one end of a spanner from the other, posting advise like that is not good.

Loddy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
slacken the belt but don't let it slip !!!!!!!1 your having a laugh, what terrible advise,Post edited by admin - insult removed:Doh:

you only need slacken the belt enough to move the pump pulley up and down....1mm will be enough and not possible for the belt to slip.
something i wouldnt have a problem doing and i would use locking pins anyway....old school mechanicing still has its place in the workshop !
No offense to wurn, and i may be wrong, but i assume he wouldnt have the knowledge to do this so a mechanic would be doing it anyway.

oil pressure...if the follower is sticking or the oil is draining back out of it when stood for a period of time it may take a few seconds for it to free off or refill due to the thicker, cold oil.

older vauxhall astra's/nova's were noted for it, sometimes 15 or 20 seconds before they went quiet.

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
slacken the belt but don't let it slip !!!!!!!1 your having a laugh, what terrible advise, also the oil pressure is higher when cold, something to do with being thick:Doh:

hope you're not planning on getting to many replies to any other questions if this is your way of thanking people:thumbdown:

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
hope you're not planning on getting to many replies to any other questions if this is your way of thanking people:thumbdown:
Ooops what have I done wrong?? Havnt had a chance to reply properly as been waiting for all the ideas! It has all been very helpful but please explain how I have offended you!!!!:cry:
Cheers Paul.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Ooops what have I done wrong?? Havnt had a chance to reply properly as been waiting for all the ideas! It has all been very helpful but please explain how I have offended you!!!!:cry:
Cheers Paul.

You have done nothing wrong Paul and Bazzerfry was not aiming his comment at you
Just a bit of the Ferrai V Mclaren Mechanics talk.

John (papa) gives good advice and Loddy was merely pointing out what pitfalls there would be if you were not trained to carry out such a task (all be it in a little rude fashion)

I think we would all do well to realise that Advice is exactly that, Advice. It should always be taken on face value with the emphasis on the word advice, and never attempting anything we feel uncomfortable with.

My best advice would be Let a Mechanic look at it, let him huff, take a few deep breaths, sigh a bit, shake his head a few times, ask you how much you earn, and then give you the prognosis which will lead to diagnosis and then if hes reputable, a nice little bill at the end of it.
I have had a similar thing on a few diesels and just put it down to oil travelling up to the top end. :thumb:

good luck with it:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Release the belt tension = slackening the belt
dont lose the timing = dont let it slip

I said what terrible advise and it is, how do you know the original poster don't know one end of a spanner from the other, posting advise like that is not good.

And you Geo should know better than to defend it,

Loddy
I refuse to participate in a battle of wit with someone who is unarmed!:RollEyes:
Geo

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
OIL

Seriously, did you have an oil change when the belt was done. Reason I ask is that 'they' could have used the wrong type and it's to thick when the engines cold therefore not flowing and hitting correct pressure to 'work' the hydraulic tappets?

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Handbags!

You have done nothing wrong Paul and Bazzerfry was not aiming his comment at you
Just a bit of the Ferrai V Mclaren Mechanics talk.

John (papa) gives good advice and Loddy was merely pointing out what pitfalls there would be if you were not trained to carry out such a task (all be it in a little rude fashion)

I think we would all do well to realise that Advice is exactly that, Advice. It should always be taken on face value with the emphasis on the word advice, and never attempting anything we feel uncomfortable with.

My best advice would be Let a Mechanic look at it, let him huff, take a few deep breaths, sigh a bit, shake his head a few times, ask you how much you earn, and then give you the prognosis which will lead to diagnosis and then if hes reputable, a nice little bill at the end of it.
I have had a similar thing on a few diesels and just put it down to oil travelling up to the top end. :thumb:

good luck with it:Smile:

Thanks for that! I reread it all and realised what was going on. I am a Lotus man myself,just sold my Turbo Esprit ( and beleive me the Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious thing does really apply to LOTUS!) so I do know a bit about engines, mind you I would go through it all again.
You would not beleive the mickey taking when I sold the Lotus and bought the Autotrail. Anyway the mechanic is going to listen tonight, but I think the sticky tappet sounds favourite from the location.
Cheers Paul.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have used Valvoline oil to cure sticking hydraulic tappets to great effect in the past.Its damn good oil.
If that's your problem,do an oil change using Valvoline.

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
I refuse to participate in a battle of wit with someone who is unarmed!:RollEyes:
Geo

I am not unarmed, I have been in the trade on the spanners longer than you done more MOTs than you, and you are not always right on the advise you give, I sit in front of my computer sometimes and laugh aloud at some of the advise given but don't normally comment, the advise given about slackening a timing belt was not good.
and by the way when I commented on MHF about my seat belt requirement you shot me down in flames saying I was wrong !! Guess what, you were

Loddy

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
In the past when I have had a hydraulic tappet noise a good quality engine flush to clean out and then an oil and filter change has done wonders

see here
Link Removed

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
Peculiar noise solved!!

Thanks for all the advice.Now this is a bit embarrassing...mechanic turns up,starts the engine,listens for a minute,produces can of WD40, sprays a tiny bit on the auxilliary drive belt...noise vanishes DOH ! Apparently he reckons the extra load put on belt by the alternator after starting the engine causes a tiny bit of slippage!Mind you wouldnt the belt slip more ?? Anyway problem solved and mind now at rest.:Doh:

Loddy

Free Member
Jul 5, 2008
south west
Funster No
MH
RV C class
Exp
4+ 30 years tugging
Good job you didn't slacken the cambelt then, didn't want to get stroppy about your replies but some people on here are dangerous

All the best Loddy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for all the advice.Now this is a bit embarrassing...mechanic turns up,starts the engine,listens for a minute,produces can of WD40, sprays a tiny bit on the auxilliary drive belt...noise vanishes DOH ! Apparently he reckons the extra load put on belt by the alternator after starting the engine causes a tiny bit of slippage!Mind you wouldnt the belt slip more ?? Anyway problem solved and mind now at rest.:Doh:
take my advise or leave it, as others may say i'm wrong...but if the belt is squeaking, its worn or glazed.

you can also stop the noise with talcum powder or even flour but it will start squeaking again soon.

my landrover disco had the same and by the time i got round to changing it it smelt like a tarts boudoir under the bonnet and as white as driven snow with all the talc.

OP
OP
W

Wurn

Free Member
May 25, 2009
Essex
Funster No
take my advise or leave it, as others may say i'm wrong...but if the belt is squeaking, its worn or glazed.

you can also stop the noise with talcum powder or even flour but it will start squeaking again soon.

my landrover disco had the same and by the time i got round to changing it it smelt like a tarts boudoir under the bonnet and as white as driven snow with all the talc.
Point taken, but as the noise stops after a couple of minutes and only when cold I will keep an eye or ear on it for a while, if it persists I will change it. .At least if it fails as long as you dont keep driving it is not terminal like a cam belt can be!!:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Good job you didn't slacken the cambelt then, didn't want to get stroppy about your replies but some people on here are dangerous

All the best Loddy

Sorry, no in fact Im not,, but if you have time you should remove that remark :Angry:

Papajohn has given more help to people on this site over the years than some ever will or even attempt to.

Whether his advice is right wrong or indifferent I think you should take care before attacking people in the manner you have.
what if people like Papajohn decided to stop posting or indeed any others for fear of being called a "prick" :Angry:

by all means disagree with someones advice, offer an alternative but I really dont htink you should result in personal insults to get your advice across.
not really in the spirit of the years Ive spent on this site. :Smile:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Keep the personal insults OFF the forum (take it to PM if you want to continue.)

Bryan
Admin

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
PLEASE don't fall out over a couple of heated remarks not on fun PLEASE not from respected funsters that put so much good input in to our great site come on you know it makes sense:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back