Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Thanks to work I have been abroad for 4 of the last 5 weeks, and when I came to check the van this afternoon there was not even enough power in the battery to work the central locking! When I checked, the leisure battery was reading 12V, but the main vehicle battery was zero - nothing - not a flicker.

Now I do have jump leads (when SWMBO gets back with the car), but is it likely the battery can recover from this or am I going to have to get a new one?

:cry:

david

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
nothing lost by trying to charge it, and lets face it it may not have beeen flat long. Makes sure you top the fluid level up befor charging. However I would suspect the damage has already been done. with immobilisers and alarms and suchlike running a battery will only last 4-5 weeks at best without some form of charger. solar or mains trickle charger required.

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
good point, will check the fluid levels. Thanks wildman

david

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi David

What I normally do is leave on EHU at home but have a programmable time switch that will switch on for 12 hours once a week, this works fine for us as have never (touch wood) been caught out yet. As I used to be a service eng. and away from home for varying times , found this worked without me or the wife having to bother with it.

Watch it now happen should not have said that.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A similar thing happened to our Autoquest 100 a couple of years ago David and I used jump leads to get it going then ran the engine for a while to charge it up.

I use a Tronic charger (Lidl version of one of the Ctek models) every so often during the colder months. I plug the hook-up into the van and then use one of the van sockets for the Tronic charger (which is attached to the vehicle battery by crocodile clips).

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Hi David

What I normally do is leave on EHU at home but have a programmable time switch that will switch on for 12 hours once a week, this works fine for us as have never (touch wood) been caught out yet.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the tip - but on the Autoquest I don't think you can charge the main battery from the EHU

A similar thing happened to our Autoquest 100 a couple of years ago David and I used jump leads to get it going then ran the engine for a while to charge it up.

I use a Tronic charger (Lidl version of one of the Ctek models) every so often during the colder months. I plug the hook-up into the van and then use one of the van sockets for the Tronic charger (which is attached to the vehicle battery by crocodile clips).

Now that sounds a plan Graham. Fingers crossed there is no permanent damage. Will find out in about an hour I hope...

David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sandyketton

Free Member
Aug 29, 2007
South West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Eight years but ten years tugging in an earlier life
Have you checked the battery terminal connections?

I have a similar problem occasionally and in my case it is caused by a loose terminal connection.

Good luck

Sandy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back