ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
We are currently in the process of changing our lives, We plan to give up our careers somtime this year (have not finalised the exact date yet). We will still work, but on a campsite for 7 months or so and then off to Spain for the winter.

Now to the questions we need answering.

We currently have a 5er and dodge ram which is ideal for living in and we love them both, but, Sally will not drive the dodge, on our days off she would want to return home to vist grandkid so needs a vehicle.

It is not really practical or cost effective to keep her car long term for these trips as will only be a couple of times a month.
So in the next couple of years do we:
Down size the 5er and get a european pickup that she can drive?
Buy a twin axle caravan and economical tow vehicle?

What sort of mileage could we expect from a european pickup Towing and solo, Anyone had one of these chipped does it improve MPG.

If we changed to a caravan it would be a German 8ft wide, what problems would this cause us in our trips to Spain.

Last edited:

imprint

Free Member
Jul 14, 2009
Funster No
"Future planning "

Great idea - much better than trying to plan your past!!!

Good luck,anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Beat me to it !! There are so many cheap day and 2 day hire deals you may as well get a car when you need one

Simples :thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
How is a replacement 5er going to help your wife drive the tow vehicle?

If she needed it 1 day a week for 7 months that's 31 days. To hire a very small car (1.4 ish) say £40 a day = £1,240. And that isn't delivered to/collected from a countryish location, it's city centre pick-up - tedious, inconvenient and very expensive if you ask me!

What is the problem with keeping the existing car or p/exing it for a 3yo smaller one? As long as you have a semi-decent reliable vehicle that is capable of doing whatever mileage and sorts of roads involved in the trips 'home' what more do you need?

OP
OP
ehuplad

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
How is a replacement 5er going to help your wife drive the tow vehicle?

If she needed it 1 day a week for 7 months that's 31 days. To hire a very small car (1.4 ish) say £40 a day = £1,240. And that isn't delivered to/collected from a countryish location, it's city centre pick-up - tedious, inconvenient and very expensive if you ask me!

What is the problem with keeping the existing car or p/exing it for a 3yo smaller one? As long as you have a semi-decent reliable vehicle that is capable of doing whatever mileage and sorts of roads involved in the trips 'home' what more do you need?

The tow vehicle would be much smaller than the twin wheelie dodge that we currently have.

We have a small car low tax, but do not want to insure for just a few trips also we would need to find somwhere to park the car when in Spain over winter.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
better answer it driving lessons in the truck, end of problem

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Swap the dullie for a 2500 single rear wheel. not that much bigger tan a nissan.

All the best Rick

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
What sort of mileage could we expect from a european pickup Towing and solo, Anyone had one of these chipped does it improve MPG.

Hi Mike
We get about 28 mpg solo and 18 mpg towing with our Mitsubishi L200. We have had it chipped and it made some difference to MPG but not a lot. It did make quite a difference to the pulling power though.

Would you be happy living in a twin wheel caravan after the luxury and space of the 5er? :cry:

Gill

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mike I have a L 200 and it returns 22 / 24mpg--23.6 last week,brim to brim --but don't really go that far in it,mostly short runs, anything longer we take the van :thumb: 27 mpg :thumb:
terry

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I have an Isuzu Rodeo Denver on a 57 plate, 2.5tdi and with my 5ver attached get between 21/23 on average, solo 33/35 but have in perfect conditions got more out of it solo. Engine not properly loose yet as only done 20 something thous.Its not chipped or uprated in anyway.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are currently in the process of changing our lives, We plan to give up our careers somtime this year (have not finalised the exact date yet). We will still work, but on a campsite for 7 months or so and then off to Spain for the winter.

You're not in the "3 weeks to see as much as possible" mode any more so caravan gets my vote. The nearest you'll get to the 5er in space terms but with a nice sensible 4x4 tow vehicle. A 5er is a caravan, so logical.

I'm not surprised Sally won't drive The Beast, it scares the s**t out of me standing in the same field as it.

So how about you pinpoint a vehicle that suits and than a caravan to suit that.

OP
OP
ehuplad

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Just done a quick calculation on MPG between dodge, European pickup, and New freelander

Took european pickup as 21 towing 33 empty, may be high on your replies above.

Freelander is a guess, but talked to a guy at the weekend who said he got 28 towing. So have used 25 towing, spec says 50 combined empty so have used 40 empty.

This is done over 8000 miles 4000 towing 4000 empty

Euro pickup saving around £700

Freelander £ 1200 :Eeek::Eeek:

I also did it with a car for the non towing mileage.

Euro pickup saving around £70

Freelander £ 500

But this does not include any bills for the car insurance servicing etc.

Makes it a bit clearer

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I wonder if your answer might be two caravans ?

A big luxury one whilst working and a smaller cheapo one for touring.

Not easy, is it.

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Why not just go with her to see grandkid, ie you drive and save all the faff and expence of changing the rig you like and should suit what you want to do perfiectly?

scran

Free Member
Jan 22, 2008
washington
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
honda

HI MIKE WHAT ABOUT A HONDA CUB OR MOPED WITH A BASKET ON FRONT TO GET THE SHOPPING IN LOL::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back