LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all, we are travelling to the continent this summer and have a couple of queries re the trip.

1. What do most of you do about personal travel insurance, do you bother with any, and if you do, have you any recommendations?

2. What's the best way to pay for things when you're over there, cash or credit card. If credit card do you use a specific one tailored for european cash withdrawls, site fees and fuel etc.
:thanks2:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
We both have EHIC cards, I have travel insurance with our bank account and my husband has no insurance because he's 73 and its very expensive. My main fear is if he needs repatriation but if he dies I'll just hide him in the van and drive him home. We use a zero per cent card from Santander for fuel, site fees etc. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
if he dies I'll just hide him in the van and drive him home.
Ivy

That's no way for an old MHer to go.

Lay him out on his bed.

Gather everyone round the MH and fire a flaming arrow into it. Then get stuck into the booze.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
You've just made the booze into part of the funeral pyre! Terrible waste Brian.

:ROFLMAO:

We digress; we both have annual cover via the bank account. Before the bank were so magnanimous - like they think we don't realise we pay for it monthly, LOL? :Doh: - but still cheaper than we can get annual cover with anyone else, which is what we had before the bank did it.

I have a pre-existing - so wouldn't step off this septic isle without it. And my EHIC. And a belt, and braces plus a spare piece of string in case they both go at once .......

:thumb:

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
My Lloyds current account comes with free travel insurance for us both. There is no monthly fee. It does however only cover single trips of up to 31 days. After that I dont bother.

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
just the ehic cards Britain has a reciprocal agreement for health care within the EEC so why pay insurance fat cats more money? As far as money goes euros enough for everyday costs credit card (visa) for fuel.. just easier and take your debit card for emergency funds from hole in the wall (check with your bank that yours will work abroad.
welcome to FUN:thumb:

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
We have the EHIC card and I have annual family travel insurance through my bank.

My bank debit card also has no withdrawal fees in the EU so use that and a credit card. We also take some Euro's in cash with us as well normally.

The van has a safe so everything gets locked in that and all documents are photo copied and these are used wherever possible.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we both have annual cover via the bank account.
:thumb:

Go rub it in to the poor northerners.

I didn't get where I am today by having a bank account. A sock full of ha'pnies was all we could manage. It must be good to be a rich southerner.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Brian, if you think that being born in the Black Country makes me a rich southerner you should have studied geography harder while you were at school.

Jenny

PS
Don't give me that hard luck story about having to go to work in t'mill when you were eight years old either.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We both have EHIC cards, I have travel insurance with our bank account and my husband has no insurance because he's 73 and its very expensive. My main fear is if he needs repatriation but if he dies I'll just hide him in the van and drive him home. We use a zero per cent card from Santander for fuel, site fees etc. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Ivy

What a sense of humour eh???
I just checked and my bank account only says up to age 65 and 22 days away, Tez is more than that and we plan to go away for 6 weeks or more.
We pay a yearly premium with Tez's pre existing ailments and we get free Breakdown( if we pay extra so not free!!!) and we also plan to use the Caxton prepay Euro mastercardwhen we get there ( at last) as suggested on this forum, what would we do without your lot eh???
fantastic group of people on here. good on yer all......:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back