Average annual use .. in days ? (1 Viewer)

How many nights to you sleep in your van per year ?

• Less than 30

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • 30 - 60

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • 60 - 90

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • 90 - 120

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • 120 +

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • I full time , 365

Votes: 10 8.9%

• Total voters

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
A question on the 365 forum :

Why is full time MH insurance more expensive than standard leisure use insurance ?

My 'opinion' and that of the insurers is that this is due to the average use being much less than 365 days .. but is it ?

How many days (not miles ) per year do you use your van ?

I have attached a poll .. please vote

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
be carefull who see these results, if recent news tells us anything the insurance will go up for leisure use not down for full timeing:Eeek:

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Where is the 200 or 300 day option :):thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Is there something wrong with the poll? it shows no full timers, can this be correct?

Doug...

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Is there something wrong with the poll? it shows no full timers, can this be correct?

Doug...

don't understand Doug .. the last option is

[HI]I full time, 365 [/HI]

see screen shot

Attachments

• screenshot_01.jpg
    screenshot_01.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 9
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Think he means he is surprised no one voted that option yet

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
don't understand Doug .. the last option is

[HI]I full time, 365 [/HI]

see screen shot

Sorry misphrased the question, the poll shows zero full timers? I thought the poll would show more that zero.

Doug..

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Anyone know what the most claims are for?

Is it theft if so, fulltimers priemum should be lower

funny you should ask, I was reading the stats only yesterday , will try to find it ..

IIRC .. RTAs accounted for about 60% of claims,

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Anyone know what the most claims are for?

Is it theft if so, fulltimers priemum should be lower

I was nearly correct, facts from an insurer

Where are motor homes most at risk from theft or damage?

Based on the information we hold regarding causes of claims, we found:

* 55% of claims were made as a result of Accidental Damage
* 18% of claims were made as a result of Storm
* 13% of claims were made as a result of Theft
* 7% of claims were made as a result of Malicious Damage
* 5% of claims were made as a result of Fire/Flood
* 2% of claims were a result of other reasons

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Don't see how F/Timing helps the theft stats, if someone wants it they just wait till you go out and then have it away. Same as watching your house and doing the same if they think you might have summat worth the effort!

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Don't see how F/Timing helps the theft stats, if someone wants it they just wait till you go out and then have it away. Same as watching your house and doing the same if they think you might have summat worth the effort!

Very true but it is far easier to steal something that is left 8am to 5pm on a driveway day in day out than something set up with slide outs out awnings out, legs down etc etc. time taken to prepare would make theives think twice

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
it is far easier to steal something that is left 8am to 5pm on a driveway day in day out than something set up with slide outs out awnings out, legs down etc etc. time taken to prepare would make theives think twice

Yes, I would agree, but if you look at the stats from one insurance company, only 13% of claims are a result of theft.. most claims are for accidental damage..

The voting also shows that around 70% use their vans for less than 3 months per year .. so on the face of it, the risk to insurer for an accident claim from a full timer is four times greater .. but it's not as simple as that, when it comes to accident damage, it's miles done per year that should count ... not time in storage or on a camp site ..

As said, a van left alone for long periods of time is a far greater risk from theft than one being lived in.. so why load the full timer .. risk should be calculated on millage, not nights lived in.

As a point of interest, Comfort Insurance class an owner who sleeps in their van more than their house, ie more than 183 days, a full timer and load the premium accordingly ..

Last edited:

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
The insurance companies really need to look at motorhome insurance. At one point a few years ago I had a brand new Volvo that had cost me £25000 cash and a motorhome I had paid £12000 for. I did about 20 000 miles a year in the volvo and felt that I lived in her. I only did about 5000 miles a year in the motorhome and yet there was not a lot of difference in the cost of insurance per vehicle.

I am not sure there is that much difference in cost to insure a brand new motorhome costing £90 000 or the same one a few years older costing maybe just £30 000

stew

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Is not the insurance in place all year round :thumb: using it on the roads or parked up? Risk is the same :Doh:Your car is still insured while using the van :thumb:You could always try swapping your car insurance for a couple of weeks from car to van for your hols :ROFLMAO: but then the car or van would not be insured while parked up :Doh:
terry

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
well i see there are a lot just don't use their motorhomes enough.
ok so last year (our first year motorhoming ) we slept in the van probably 50 - 60 nights
and covered 2500 miles.
now as of last month were full-time in the van so we are going to get more use out of it.
but to think if we only used it for maybe 2 - 3 weeks a year i would consider hiring one for those times there seems to be a lot of people that have it sat on their drive or locked in storage for 90% of the year.
i just think its a waste to have it and not get your moneys worth out of it.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
well i see there are a lot just don't use their motorhomes enough.
ok so last year (our first year motorhoming ) we slept in the van probably 50 - 60 nights
and covered 2500 miles.
now as of last month were full-time in the van so we are going to get more use out of it.
but to think if we only used it for maybe 2 - 3 weeks a year i would consider hiring one for those times there seems to be a lot of people that have it sat on their drive or locked in storage for 90% of the year.
i just think its a waste to have it and not get your moneys worth out of it.

As you see from your own post everybody uses there van differently and things change ::bigsmile: Last yr we did not do our usual 2 x 3 week stints plus lots of mid week and weekend stop-overs but only did the mid week trips with the odd weekend :cry:This yr things have change back a bit so hopefully we get to use the van a little more,but with the grandson now at school we will have to join the ranks of weekender's rather than mid weekdays :thumb::ROFLMAO: either way we must do as you say and get our moneys worth :thumb:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back