Mar 6, 2010
Worcester area
Funster No
MH
C class Ducato LP
Exp
36 months
Hi Funsters,
We have booked to join a tour with the friendly club (dont knock it) to Iceland and we have just changed our motorhome so are anxious to prepare it well for what could be the trip of a life time. What I am worried about is the gas supply - I have time to install a Gaslow system before we go in June, if we cant get replacement cylinders which might be needed (tour is for 30 days). If it is cold, then the heating will be on for much of the time so usage will be high unless we are on hook up. And apparently it can snow in June in Iceland. Any thoughts - have any of you been to Iceland?

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Yeah, I bought a 6 pack of fish fingers, and two tubs of ice cream

I'll get me coat

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi Funsters,
We have booked to join a tour with the friendly club (dont knock it) to Iceland and we have just changed our motorhome so are anxious to prepare it well for what could be the trip of a life time. What I am worried about is the gas supply - I have time to install a Gaslow system before we go in June, if we cant get replacement cylinders which might be needed (tour is for 30 days). If it is cold, then the heating will be on for much of the time so usage will be high unless we are on hook up. And apparently it can snow in June in Iceland. Any thoughts - have any of you been to Iceland?

Stopped going when they paid Kerry Katona for advertising!!

Has the friendly club advised that you will be staying on EHU sites?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
According to this site Link Removed

there is only one LPG station in Iceland (which turned out to be Methane far less octane than propane and[HI] just not suitable[/HI]) We had quite a logistics problem to find Propane.

methane may be fine for cooking and heating .. ?

and on this document
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:CrRZCV9EPZoJ:www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/equipment/word/lpgeurope.doc+lpg+in+iceland&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjj4-7Pab0AC8B47AlZD9_HH816YetxhB47YISTiXJmf2W8QEqoWrfnw3Rrx59vN1zOLFK9SMTDFLlJ8ob35HvLS1Zx2R-JyWYBEvNvZqIXP5-SHLbNeUtuykdhY_dflMr3oeMa&sig=AHIEtbSu6FJuXsM-qLSWWZ2NCRCD6pV81w
LPG is Not available in Iceland

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
why not see your local autogas man and get him to fit a large underslung beneath 100l or so - that should last your trip, and you can always have a couple of spare cylinders in the locker as a back-up on a switch over.

Fill in UK and not worry! Would be beneficial for future trips abroad too!

clarify

Free Member
Jul 19, 2009
Funster No
Hi
We will also be in Iceland in june but doing it the lazy way .
Cruise for the OHs 50th.How we have to suffer to keep them happy .
Ray

OP
OP
K

keithfal

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
Worcester area
Funster No
MH
C class Ducato LP
Exp
36 months
Thanks for info so far

According to this site Link Removed

methane may be fine for cooking and heating .. ?

and on this document
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...r3oeMa&sig=AHIEtbSu6FJuXsM-qLSWWZ2NCRCD6pV81w
LPG is Not available in Iceland

I hope that Iceland might have installed some LPG since 2001 but hey they dont have energy problems do they, what with geothermal and hydroelectric etc etc. Plus only couple of thousand in the population ::bigsmile: Waiting to hear from tour organisers but no pre meeting briefing scheduled- if I was to install aforesaid LPG system then I would need to plan it well before the tour starts in June - hence the request for info.

Ta for info so far.

Deleted User
Hi Funsters,

Looks like a great trip, we did lo0k at it when it was advertised by CCC but we were a bit put off by the time at sea as we have dog. While you are there you might ask them when they are going to pay us back the money they owe us when Icesave went broke, I believe its about 2.5 billion.
Take some warm socks!

spongy

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Had a quick look on their website but probably too late for me to find any info on this trip now BUT .... Depending how long you're in the Faroes I can recommend some must see tours to do while you're there. Not much in the way of camping facilities although they boast a few sites, I've only seen the one outside Torshavn but never investigated. Have a look Link Removed for some organised tours that take in the best bits, some involve island hopping on ferries but many you can do for the cost of the diesel, particularly a circular tour taking in Gjogv (Jegv) and Eidi (Oiya) and a seperate one to Saksun. Also the undersea tunnel to Vagar where you can take in some magnificent offshore scenery past the airport.

We went Hook of Holland then Esbjerg last year to pick up Norrona but this year it's sailing from Hirtschals on the north of Jylland, four hours further north so we're flying out and borrowing a car - May and August so we won't be there in June. If you get to Toftir on Eysturoy perhaps you can check on the boat for me. :thumb:

OP
OP
K

keithfal

Free Member
Mar 6, 2010
Worcester area
Funster No
MH
C class Ducato LP
Exp
36 months
Had a quick look on their website but probably too late for me to find any info on this trip now BUT .... Depending how long you're in the Faroes I can recommend some must see tours to do while you're there. Not much in the way of camping facilities although they boast a few sites, I've only seen the one outside Torshavn but never investigated. Have a look Link Removed for some organised tours that take in the best bits, some involve island hopping on ferries but many you can do for the cost of the diesel, particularly a circular tour taking in Gjogv (Jegv) and Eidi (Oiya) and a seperate one to Saksun. Also the undersea tunnel to Vagar where you can take in some magnificent offshore scenery past the airport.

We went Hook of Holland then Esbjerg last year to pick up Norrona but this year it's sailing from Hirtschals on the north of Jylland, four hours further north so we're flying out and borrowing a car - May and August so we won't be there in June. If you get to Toftir on Eysturoy perhaps you can check on the boat for me. :thumb:

Many thanks for the advice. Apparently the first ferry goes from Harwich to Ebsjerg then we drive up the length of Denmark to catch Norrona. Regarding Toftir may not get there but but happy to check the boat if we get there. Spending three days in Faroes on way home.:thumb: Any ideas about the LPG situation there?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Any ideas about the LPG situation there? (Quote)

No, I haven't but I can check for you. Thinking a bit more I would guess there isn't any, homes are electric with oil heating, apart from gas cartridges for blow lamps and small camping cookers I've not seen any larger gas supplies, bottled or otherwise. I've got my feelers out on Skype and will post back when I get some answers, also price of petrol/diesel which is usually cheaper there. :Smile:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Any ideas about the LPG situation there? (Quote)

I would guess there isn't any, homes are electric with oil heating, apart from gas cartridges for blow lamps and small camping cookers I've not seen any larger gas supplies, bottled or otherwise. I

Well, what do I know?

I'm told that you buy LPG at petrol stations, what a surprise, but that's all the info I got (woman on other end :Blush:) so whether it's bottled or pumped, I'll keep asking.

Diesel is 9,95 Danish Kroner, Petrol is 10,05. Used to be much cheaper than us and we used to go empty and come back full but with the £ very low (8.50 or so) not so good now.

Faroes use Danish coins and notes but also issue there own notes so try not to come back with any, easier to exchange Danish in the UK if you haven't spent them all. Oh, and we found we got a better rate changing sterling notes at Danske Bank in Denmark or any bank in the Faroes than doing it here. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back