iPad 2 launched by Steve Jobs (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
What can it do better than a laptop and for that matter can it do as much ?

well, it's lighter, slimmer, longer battery life, .. but what else.. can someone who owns one enlighten me ?

I have two cameras already.. why would I want an iPad when I have a perfectly good iBook ?

The second generation of the iPad which goes on sale in the UK in March 25 and in the US on March 11, has two cameras, one at the rear and one at the front of the device, both of which take photos and shoot video.

The new device comes preloaded with a new app called photo booth, which allows people to take distorted photos of themselves and share them with friends. And users will also be able to use the iPad 2 to video call friends who also have either an iPad 2, an iPhone 4 or the latest iPod touch, using Apple Facetime.

The iPad2 is one third thinner than the first device and is slightly lighter. It will also be available in white for the first time, as well as the standard black.

Apple has kept the pricing the same, with cheapest model available from $499.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8357861/Apple-iPad-2-Steve-Jobs-makes-surprise-launch-appearance.html

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
What can it do better than a laptop and for that matter can it do as much ?

well, it's lighter, slimmer, longer battery life, .. but what else.. can someone who owns one enlighten me ?

I have two cameras already.. why would I want an iPad when I have a perfectly good iBook ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8357861/Apple-iPad-2-Steve-Jobs-makes-surprise-launch-appearance.html

all it needs is phone capability and we have nearly gone full circle
remembering the original mobiles with a suitcase to carry em in:Doh:

think missmanagement will be keeping her i pad and not be upgrading
just dont tell her pleeaase:thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Did he launch it like a discus or a frisbee? ::bigsmile:

an expensive frizbee .. and it didn't fly very well..:roflmto:

but I'm betting it will fly off the shop shelves.. :RollEyes:

I really can't figure out a use for it .. other than posing on the daily commute or trendy wine bar.. two things I don't do, so for me it's an expensive toy that has a few tricks up it's sleeve.. much like my Jan :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ive got an Ipad, it was a gift. I would never have bought one. Why would I, I have a couple of very high spec PC.s After 4 months of use, If mine was broken tonight, I would replace it by lunchtime tomorrow. I can't justify the cost, it doesn't do flash which is a pain, I never thought I would like it. But I have come to depend on it.

From 'off' to checking the sites happens in seconds, two of them. Reading the newspaper on it is so intuitave and comfortable its addictive, the screen quality is better than a 2k dell laptop, the way you interact with is just superb.

This post typed on an IPAD :Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
What can it do better than a laptop and

I'd say it's for those who mainly read. Instant on, read a lot, type little. So perfect for 10000 or so read only FUNsters.

Maybe a good MH device. OK for some emails and a few FUN posts. But not for backing your your photos.

and for that matter can it do as much ?l

These tablets in general don't have the bulk storage, because they are for reading off the airwaves. We hit OS wars, Apple/Windoze/Linux/Android, it's down to the software you want to run.

I notice many tablet cases featuring a built in keyboard, in other words, turn your tablet into a low capacity laptop.

We'll be seeing laptops fitted with these tablet touch screens, there will be a lot of makers looking for their niche.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Samsung Galaxy Tab....half the price, more portable and usable, expandable memory, 2 cameras, makes phone calls, plays flash and most importantly of all.

Your not chained to bloody Apple :thumb::thumb:

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Samsung Galaxy Tab....half the price, more portable and usable, expandable memory, 2 cameras, makes phone calls, plays flash and most importantly of all.

Your not chained to bloody Apple :thumb::thumb:

That's what 'Greenpoison's' for! :thumb:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Like Jim, I have come to depend on my iPad when out of the house. I use it for surfing the web and posting on Fun. However, Brian is wrong when he states it's no good for backing up photo's, I also have the camera attachment and can save all my pics on it, all 64GB. With the WiFi and 3G I can post anywhere. All in all, alone with my Macbook Pro and iPhone I am all Appled out :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
The thing is everyone who has one says they'd get another if theirs broke tomorrow! The people that say they are a waste of space are the ones who haven't got them. I'd get one if only I could justify it - I already have a notebook, a laptop and a kindle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The thing is everyone who has one says they'd get another if theirs broke tomorrow! The people that say they are a waste of space are the ones who haven't got them. I'd get one if only I could justify it - I already have a notebook, a laptop and a kindle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, they are hardly likely to admit it was a waste of money .. especially to the OH ..:roflmto:

I don't think they were a waste of space, I see the benfits in the portability and long battery life... nothing else.

I certainly have no use for one so I couldn't justify, if I wanted an eReader I would buy a Kindle at £111 ..

As I see it, it's basically an iPod touch with a bigger screen ..

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
What every one has failed to realise is it's a gadget, and blokes love gadgets. He who dies with the most gadgets wins. He's still dead but has won!

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Ipod users on trains make the ex son-in-law chuckle, out comes the ipod in its special bag, then the stand, then the keyboard, they must have spent as much on the extras as the ipod. ::bigsmile:

Ian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Just wait a bit. 2011 is the Year of the Tablet. Android 3 tablets are about to hit the streets, half the price of Apple and more functionality.

I don't need one, but.......................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back