Apparent water pump problem that wasn't (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
As we were doing our final bowl of washing up before leaving Upwood on Sunday we apparently ran out of water. We could hear the pump batting its little brains out but no water from the tap.

Unusually I hadn't filled the tank up, just put a few gallons in because I knew we wouldn't use all that much as there were showers on site. Even though that was the case I was sure that we hadn't used all that I had put in the tank.

When we got home I didn't have time to investigate but did drain the system against frost and found that there was about 2 gallons in the fresh water tank - oh dear, has something gone wrong inside the pump?

This morning I got the cap off the tank to have a look and found that the submersible pump is mounted so that its inlet is about 3/4 inch above the bottom of the tank - which means that it's not surprising that there are still a couple of gallons left when the tank is apparently empty.

Happily, when I put sufficient water in the tank I was able to draw it through the taps (both hot and cold) so we don't have anything wrong with the pump. In future I'll just make sure that I put enough water in the tank to begin with.

Our van is an Elddis Autoquest 100 - I don't know to what extent the problem might occur with other vans.

Graham

U

ukrv

Deleted User
Hi Graham

We get a similar thing on the RV.

I can only imagine the pipe is raised to stop any "silt" etc getting into the pump.

Annoying when they put the sensors below that level though, as ours starts spluttering when we're supposed to have 1/4 tank left.

Paul

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
My Burstner Marano is just the same but it does show empty when there is plenty of water left. ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Spare athought for the Monaco owners who have about £80 worth of fuel they cant use for the same reason (think it was Monaco):Eeek:
Geo

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Spare athought for the Monaco owners who have about £80 worth of fuel they cant use for the same reason (think it was Monaco):Eeek:
Geo

Aye, at least water costs nowt once you've paid the rates :Smile:

The gauge on Explorer Group vans is notorious for giving false readings. We never trust it ::bigsmile:

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back