Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
When it's a wee bit chilly outside I get one hell of a draught in my kitchen. It comes in through the oven, cupboards, drawers and bottom of the units. Would I be right in assuming that fridge vent covers will alleviate this problem as it's like the Arctic in here at times :Eeek: Both of the vents are the same size 47.7cm x 18.3cm and it's an Electrolux fridge, but all of the websites I've looked at don't appear to have my size - is there any DIY remedy I can bodge together in true Blue Peter fashion? I'm still reeling from the price. £25 for 2 bits of plastic - are they having a laff?! :Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If like me you don't use the fridge in the winter, just remove existing covers and tape some polythene across the back. (I actually then put some foam behind it as well for extra insulation maybe foam in plastic bags would sort it). Basically the problem is caused by the fridge being insufficiently sealed around the edges, you could try sorting that out as well.

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I am using the fridge and battling to keep the freezer 'frozen'. I wondered if I could attach something over the vent but not seal it all the way round so it still vents but isn't open to the gale force winds we're getting here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi ninjayorkies, your fridge should be sealed around the edges (just as Roger says)Get some foam pipe lagging :thumb: cut it down and seal the fridge all the way around inc bottom :thumb:You can make your own covers using some flat plastic - try 3 mm plastic cover sill :thumb:
terry

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
if you are battling to keep the freezer compartment frozen at this time of year you obviously have a fault and blocking the vents in any way will make matter worse. Time for a service engineer to have a look.

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi ninjayorkies, your fridge should be sealed around the edges (just as Roger says)Get some foam pipe lagging :thumb: cut it down and seal the fridge all the way around inc bottom :thumb:You can make your own covers using some flat plastic - try 3 mm plastic cover sill :thumb:
terry

Not wanting to appear stupid and non-technical minded - sealed round the edges where?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
All around the inside edges of your fridge where the draughts are coming in - this is usually done through the vent covers after the fridge is in position
terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
The vent covers seal off the draughts but the top cover leaves the right hand side open for the fridge to work.That is where the vent/ flue for gas operation is.This is all you need if the fridge is in a sealed box/cupboard
terry

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
I see. So I take the vents off and seal the fridge from the back? I'll get some of that pipe lagging and have a go then and hopefully it'll improve things. Thank you :thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
You should not get draughts through the fridge vents into the interior of the motorhome. If this is the source, it suggests the fridge has not been fitted correctly (I am assuming a Dometic/Electrolux absorption fridge is fitted). The fridge housing should be sealed around the edges and at the top, where there is a clearance of a few inches, there should be a metal deflector plate. This prevents fumes from the gas flue at the back from entering the interior of the van. One of the tell-tale signs of poor fitting is the tendency for the surface above the fridge to get quite warm when it is operating on gas.
Remove the top outside vent cover (there is a flat plastic screw head that should be turned 45º) and look inside. You should see a metal plate sealing the space above the fridge. If not, I suggest you refer to the dealer you bought from or talk to an authorised Dometic fitter. You could try Mark at CLS - he is not far from you and will visit.
http://www.central-leisure-services.co.uk/

Philip

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
You should not get draughts through the fridge vents into the interior of the motorhome. If this is the source, it suggests the fridge has not been fitted correctly (I am assuming a Dometic/Electrolux absorption fridge is fitted). The fridge housing should be sealed around the edges and at the top, where there is a clearance of a few inches, there should be a metal deflector plate. This prevents fumes from the gas flue at the back from entering the interior of the van. One of the tell-tale signs of poor fitting is the tendency for the surface above the fridge to get quite warm when it is operating on gas.
Remove the top outside vent cover (there is a flat plastic screw head that should be turned 45º) and look inside. You should see a metal plate sealing the space above the fridge. If not, I suggest you refer to the dealer you bought from or talk to an authorised Dometic fitter. You could try Mark at CLS - he is not far from you and will visit.
http://www.central-leisure-services.co.uk/

Philip

Thanks I'll do that and see what I can find. I doubt my dealer would be of much help as had the van nearly 12 months now and I think they saw me coming :Doh: You live and learn

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Although it is a bit out of date, you might find Haynes Motorcaravan maintenance manual a useful book. It is written by John Wickersham and is a very useful guide to how a lot of things in a motorhome work. For example, it describes how a fridge should be fitted and how to service it (although that is really for emergencies as you might want to rely on an expert).

<< Haynes Guide >>

Philip

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Dare I say it, welcome to the build quality of the Swift Group!!!

Doug...

atakd

Free Member
Nov 15, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since '99
We've got the same problem on a '08 (pre-Swift) Autocruise. There is a gap between the wardrobe above the fridge and the wall that I can push a pencil through. Going to seal it from behind fridge - when I get round to it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Saying that I haven't met anyone on my travels who hasn't got some gripe with their van

Your quite correct. but a 'gripe' is one thing, a crap installation of a fridge quite another ..

Leaving a fridge unsealed from the interior of the habitation is downright dangerous and bordering on criminal negligence .

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
Your quite correct. but a 'gripe' is one thing, a crap installation of a fridge quite another ..

Leaving a fridge unsealed from the interior of the habitation is downright dangerous and bordering on criminal negligence .

I will update on what disasters I find when I get my girly toolkit out and whip the vents off. A bundle of £20 notes would be lovely, knowing my luck it's more likely to be mice :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back