Feb 22, 2011
Sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi
Newby hear again.

My van is fitted with Calor Propane bottles.

I am going to Brittany for the first time in a motorhome in August. I shall be taking two full bottles of gas. If I run out of gas, what options are open to me to;
a get the existing bottles exchanged.
b buy the French equivilant, if so what adaptors do I need to connect French Gaz to my system.

Thanks as always.

Bob

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Bob,

If you run out, then you will likely have to purchase some local gas, along with a regulator for it, these are normally sold alongside so should not present a problem. If you are anything like me you will end up with a vast collection of weird continental bottles and regulators.

If you are rich, you could swop your existing regular bottles for refillable ones, (google "gaslow") then you can refill at many petrol stations. :thumb:

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Hi Jim,
Just been reading about the refilling of gas bottles and personally as long as its done as per instructions I cant see anything wrong with it.
I ve just been to fill my house lpg tank on my Rv at the Countrywide pump in Glastonbury.As you know its account only and there are pumps all over the south west of england in particular.On the pump was a great big sign stating "No filling of gas bottles allowed" this is the first time I ve seen this sign so are they jumping on the bandwaggon like some garages or has there been an incident involving the re-filling of gas bottles ?

Regards, JohnP :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
There has been a warning notice about for some time now, see the following link.
I don't think it applies to Gaslow type systems as well.

Link Removed

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Hi
Newby hear again.

I am going to Brittany for the first time in a motorhome in August. I shall be taking two full bottles of gas. If I run out of gas, what options are open to me to;

Bob

We went to France last year for 6 weeks and managed with 2 full gas bottles. We did mostly Aires, but with a few sites on EHU which saved some gas as we operated the fridge from the leccy. :Smile:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
what size bottles do you carry?

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
These ones ::bigsmile:

images

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Last year I bought a gas bottle in France as was worried my 2 x 6kg Calor wouldn't last.
I was away for 6 weeks and didn't even need to use it.

So unless you are only on Aires and use a lot of hot water you should have plenty.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Have a look in the classifieds......what I do why any of my motorhomes go abroad, is leave them one calor bottle, and one foreign. Most classifieds will have someone wanting to off-load the bottles. Just pick one up, and then exchange as normal! The taps are available on line.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi
Newby hear again.

a get the existing bottles exchanged.
b buy the French equivilant, if so what adaptors do I need to connect French Gaz to my system.

Thanks as always.

Bob

Bob what size bottles do you have !! and how long are you coming over to France for !!............ The weather should be good in August....so even stopping on Aires I would say 1 x 11kg up to a month (unless you have your heating on all the time you) so 2 x 11kg you should have enough gas for around 2 months.....for say two persons with average cooking.....but it is like saying how long is a piece of string.........each person uses gas at a different rate....e.g.: Fridge, freezer, heater, hot water, showers, one ,two and three ring cooker, grill, gas BBQ... Will you be doing a lot of cooking or do you eat out......you should be able to get a gas bottle at most supermarket pumps, garden centers, and many other places,...... and a regulator at Bricolarge shops (DIY shops) but they are more expensive over here for GAZ (gas) items..regulator, rubber tube, brass connections...........than the UK......:thumb: FRENCH PROPANE IS A EXTERNAL THREAD ...not like the UK propane which is a internal thread....
Bob... I am not sure on this !!! so I hope somebody has already tried this out...the Propane gas bottle over here is a external thread.....somewhere I have heard it was the same as the butane external thread in the UK.....if that is correct !!!!! then all you require is a Butane tail ( a pipe with a connection to your regulator and on the other end a butane threaded nut connector to fasten to our propane bottles.......!!!!??? I hope somebody has already tried and can confirm..
Something like this
Link Removed

If it works, all you will need then is to purchase a French gas bottle "IF YOU SHOULD RUN OUT OF GAS"
Mel:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tigerbob

Free Member
Feb 22, 2011
Sutton coldfield
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Gas(z)

Thanks once again to all who contributed to my question.

I will be taking 2x6kg propane bottles. It would appear that as we will be using a EHU then we shouldn't run out og gas.

I had some idea that a Gaz bottle and adaptor could be purchased in France should I get stuck, but I didn't want to purchase another adaptor/conversion/lead/plug/socket/chart. I have a draw in the kitchen full of these adaptors that I have had to purchase over the years.

If I did succumb to buying an adaptor and a Gaz bottle and at the end of my hols the bottle is half full, what do I do with it? Can I exchange it with someone, sell it back to the shop where purchased or do I bring it back home with me and store it in the garage.

How much would a bottle of Gaz and an adaptor cost me approxiamately?

Thanks as always.

Bob

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Last 6kg Gaz bottle we swapped for an empty we already had in France was 3 years ago and the bottle was 23 Euros. We had the regulator already and we were tent camping so no need for extra anything else.

seymore

Free Member
Feb 13, 2010
Newcastle under Lyme.
Funster No
MH
Van coversion
Exp
This is the 4th van weve done
bottle gas in france

Hi if you do decide to buy a bottle in France my advice is to look in second hand shops or car boot sales. I have found them a ready source of second hand camping gaz and general domestic gas bottles. I wouldn't recomend using old regulators but old bottles are fine and cheaper than paying the rental deposit and some times they have gas in them.win win. enjoy your trip.seymore

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you run out of gas I would have the van checked for leaks !!!!
You will be amazed at how little you will use...
Two 6k bottles lasted us a year which included all the shows and rallies, a 4 weeks across Europe stint, and all the various weekends in between !

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Hi,
They do have a system in France were you can Buy/Hire a full bottle called 'Le Cube' when you leave the country pop it back to a supplier and you get the cost of the 'Cube' back. Most large supermarkets, Tool Stores and Garages supply them. Just have a look round before you do run out of your own.
Best Regards, Mac

The connection is an external threaded nut to the reducer.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
If you run out of gas I would have the van checked for leaks !!!!
You will be amazed at how little you will use...
Two 6k bottles lasted us a year which included all the shows and rallies, a 4 weeks across Europe stint, and all the various weekends in between !

We have no leaks and use an 11kg a week. This seems to be the average consumption here. The REPSOL waggon calls 3 times a week and I see the same peoples bottles out regularly.

Last edited:

tantanell

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
trawling through europe
Funster No
Exp
camping forever.motorhoming 8years
Hi I'm in France at the moment and am using propane 13kg bottle from carrefour. I had to fill in a contract , name address etc (all simple stuff) and the bottle costs between 27 -30 euros depending where you are. We're in the alps so it's 30 €. When I eventually take the bottle back I will get my 1€ deposit back!! Carrefour are everywhere but they do close between 12 noon 3pm and on Sundays . I had to buy a hose and regulator which if I remember right cost about 40€ altogether. I would imagine in august yours will last a while though. You can buy all this at a large carrefour. Once you've got all this you can get your bottle exchanged at a carrefour garage. Go in the morning when its quiet, Pay the cashier at the window, Put your empty bottle by the cage, when they're ready they pop out, open the bIg cage thing where its stored , give your new bottle and away you go!! The bottle for propane is blue and grey and it will say butagaz on the top but that's the brand name, as long as it's blue and grey ( bleu et gris) it's propane. (it is propane you were asking about ?? I've lost my train of thought haha!) I don't mean to sound patronsing but I wish I'd have been told this in simple terms!! I've learnt the hard way.. I was convinced they didn't understand that I wanted propane so after the third visit to a carrefour I finally accepted blue and grey meant propane. Handy if you know a bit of french too. Learn ' I would like a new bottle of propane please'. They mostly speak English but kind of won't admit it unless you try!!! Hope this helps.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back