Newbie Question - MPG's and best base vehicle for Campervan (1 Viewer)

Paul W

Free Member
Feb 23, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi Everyone.

I'm new on here, and have joined so I can get some first hand experience and knowledge before I dive in and buy my first campervan.

I want to get something like a VW T4, T5 or Vivaro size van so I can also sue it during the week for my work. I currently drive a Citroen Dispatch van, which is 1.9 naturally aspirated diesel. It gives me 34 mpg on my usual journeys, measured over 12 months. The van is not converted to a camper, but has been used for the odd overnight stop at a pinch.

Will a T4, T5 or Vivaro give similar performance ? My day to day trips involve a mix of M'way and town driving.

How much "roofrack" weight can I put on a pop-top ? I have two kayaks that weigh 26 kg each. Is there any problem with wind loading of the roof when carrying stuff on the roofrack ?

Is there a particular model I should avoid ? I've read some real horror stories of VW's and Vivaros.... .what is the general feeling on here ?

I'll be grateful for any advice on "your first campervan". I have around £7k at the moment, but am thinking I could re-mortgage the house for some extra funds. Would anyone recommend this as a course of action ?

Help - basically :Smile:

Thanks
Paul

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
hi and welcome, to be honest make do with what you have and do not remortgage, debt will knock the shine off of anything you buy. I'm sure there are a number of panelvan users who can comment on your other queries, ebay often has a bargain or two tucked away if you are handy with a bit of diy. spend the cash on a decent base vehicle and fit out as you go, ther are a few tranny 4x4 vans out there from the utility companies crying out for conversion and ex ambulance that are almost done for you.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
hi and welcome, to be honest make do with what you have and do not remortgage, debt will knock the shine off of anything you buy. I'm sure there are a number of panelvan users who can comment on your other queries, ebay often has a bargain or two tucked away if you are handy with a bit of diy. spend the cash on a decent base vehicle and fit out as you go, ther are a few tranny 4x4 vans out there from the utility companies crying out for conversion and ex ambulance that are almost done for you.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:A lot more work in converting a ambulance than a straight forward panel van :Doh:::bigsmile: Wait untill Buttons see this - claims 50 mpg out of his VW
Have a look at Toyota regus - bongo - freedas etc Small enough for everyday use and for the odd week- The vw are very good but pricey,then again because they hold prices well you get more come sale time :thumb:7K SHOULD GET A DECENT ONE.Re-mortgage is a big no in my book but then again it is the cheapest way to borrow money :winky:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
P

Paul W

Free Member
Feb 23, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
perhaps you missed the replies to the same post

Link Removed

Thanks Jim, I did see the replies, but they didn't answer all my questions. I thought perhaps I'd posted in the wrong forum, so reposted on here. On other forums I'm on, I never read the new joiners bits, so assumed I'd not reached the whole audience as it were.

What I'd like really is someone to say "I get a definite 39mpg from my T4", or "I have a Vivaro and it's a pile of crap".... or something, so I have something concrete to work with.

I already have a panel van, but converting it won't give me the finish I want, and TBH, I can stuff an airbed in the back and sleep on that, but it doesn't give me the comfort I want in my old age !!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Thanks Jim, I did see the replies, but they didn't answer all my questions. I thought perhaps I'd posted in the wrong forum, so reposted on here. On other forums I'm on, I never read the new joiners bits, so assumed I'd not reached the whole audience as it were.

What I'd like really is someone to say "I get a definite 39mpg from my T4", or "I have a Vivaro and it's a pile of crap".... or something, so I have something concrete to work with.

I already have a panel van, but converting it won't give me the finish I want, and TBH, I can stuff an airbed in the back and sleep on that, but it doesn't give me the comfort I want in my old age !!
OK then I get 60mpg, but not from my camper, My van is a sprinter derived "A" class weighs in at 4.5Ton and gives me 24mpg over a measured 2500mile trip. Other people claim 28mpg for similar vans on a fiat base. My old 508D came in at 19mpg. My VW averaged 40mpg. Every vehicle and driver are different and whilst I think some vans are a pile of crap to others they are masterpieces. Every VW I have seen has been a rust bucket so I assume any one that I see no matter how well restored will be heading down that same rust worm ridden road or is it due to the fact that the surfers bus gets taken to the beach far too often. Who knows.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
VW tansporters are TERRIBLE for gearbox faults! Trust me - my brother always buys them and spends all his time fixing gearboxes...he will never learn!:RollEyes:

Work out your budget and see where you go from there!

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
VW tansporters are TERRIBLE for gearbox faults! Trust me - my brother always buys them and spends all his time fixing gearboxes...he will never learn!

Work out your budget and see where you go from there!

Never had any fault with my Topaz, get very good m.pg, about 35 m.p.g, but then it is my only mode of transport,, today passed m.o.t for::bigsmile: the forth year on the trot, with no probs, :Smile:...........Del

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I don't know what it is with VW's, and their supposed perceived "added value". All my experiences with VW's have led to more tears than I care to recall..............

Beetle Marathon = rust
411LE = Eberspacher heater/engine/fuel pump
Type25 Kamper = gearbox, then stolen
Corrado VR6 = 3 auto gearboxes

2 x Renault Meganes = fault free
Saab = fault free
Talbot camper = fault free
Transit camper = fault free (currently)

Perhaps not the answers you were looking for, but hope they help a little.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I don't know what it is with VW's, and their supposed perceived "added value". All my experiences with VW's have led to more tears than I care to recall..............
Beetle Marathon = rust
411LE = Eberspacher heater/engine/fuel pump
Type25 Kamper = gearbox, then stolen
Corrado VR6 = 3 auto gearboxes
2 x Renault Meganes = fault free
Saab = fault free
Talbot camper = fault free
Transit camper = fault free (currently)
Perhaps not the answers you were looking for, but hope they help a little.
Picking just one of your success stories wivvi your Meganes. Don't buy another it could catch fire and it will have major problems with the electrics.
See attached.
I could also declair problems with transit clutches and Talbots. Yet I have had a number of faultless brilliantT5s so we all have a story to tell.
Link Removed
I'll let you digest this then I will let you know just how good the T5 fuel consumption can be.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back