Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Just returned from the NEC show, had a good day and enjoyed the show as always.

All the usual stalls were there nothing very different, but I managed to speak to the 3 traders I went to see so came away happy except for maybe Webasto. The guy on the stall had no knowledge of the product but at least admitted it and has arranged for someone to contact me. We'll see:winky:

Things that surprised me this year.:whatthe:
Not a single RV to be seen. Even Travelworld were busy promoting their European vans.
The boat section was half the size of previous years.
The tent and camping sections seemed to be twice as big.
Must be a sign of the times.

Motorhomes
Big section with loads of new models on show. Must say some of the layouts are fantastic and very clever in the use of space, I particularly like some of the rear bathroom layouts.
But the build quality on most I looked at was quite dissapointing especially for the price of a small home. The one that did impress me however the was new Auto Sleeper clever design and seemed like good quality. Panel van conversions seem to getting more and more popular as well and some are really well kitted out I can see the appeal.

Anyway I had a good day and I'm sure others will have come away with completely different impressions.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
We went yesterday. And we noticed only a few boats and no Rv's. Still had a great day out. Loved the Autotrail with fixed bed and rear bathroom.
Even bought a BBQ so now we have 3 for the M/H.

Andy

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
I know why there are less boats ::bigsmile:. Friends we are going with on Friday are boat builders and told us that a lot of companies are going to Liverpool Boat Show end of April so ginving NEC a miss this year :thumb:

Dale

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I am not surprised about boats, only the very very rich can afford to buy a new one now and lesser mortals like me shudder at the price of fuel now.

My old girl uses a gallon a mile and at £4 odd a gallon, its bloody expensive, when I first got her, red diesel was 19p a litre!

Peter

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Things that surprised me this year.:whatthe:
Not a single RV to be seen. Even Travelworld were busy promoting their European vans.
The boat section was half the size of previous years.
The tent and camping sections seemed to be twice as big.
Must be a sign of the times.

Thanks for the report and agree with your observations..

Fuel costs must be having a big effect on purchases, even running an average size euro van is not cheap .. for this reason I believe PVCs will become more popular..

camping is also having a renaissance .. we were amazing how many were in tents when we were camping in Scotland last year .. and later in Norfolk, the site we were on was predominately tents with a scattering of MHs ..

When we buy our next MH it will definitely be a PVC

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Do you mean tents?

Castaway

Free Member
Mar 2, 2008
Darlington
Funster No
MH
Gone back to tugging
Exp
40 years
I know why there are less boats ::bigsmile:. Friends we are going with on Friday are boat builders and told us that a lot of companies are going to Liverpool Boat Show end of April so ginving NEC a miss this year :thumb:

Dale

I was under the impression that the Liverpool Boat Show had been cancelled due to lack of support from the builders.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
OMG, so it has, just looked at website. Thats a blow to exhibitors that may of missed out by not going to the NEC.

Dale

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks for the report and agree with your observations..

Fuel costs must be having a big effect on purchases, even running an average size euro van is not cheap .. for this reason I believe PVCs will become more popular..

camping is also having a renaissance .. we were amazing how many were in tents when we were camping in Scotland last year .. and later in Norfolk, the site we were on was predominately tents with a scattering of MHs ..

When we buy our next MH it will definitely be a PVC

Yeah I can see the attraction in a PVC. The trend would appear to be heading towards smaller vans but have you seen the size of some of these tents. Some were as big as my old RV and much bigger than my Hymer:whatthe:

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
We have held onto our Outwell XXXL for future use for when Emily gets old and wants to go camping, we've got too used to the luxury of M/H to go back to camping ::bigsmile:

Dale

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Ive got a pennine pathfinder in the garage, best luxury folding camper around, its even got a electric flush loo....

but I still prefer the motorhome

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
We started of with a caravan many years ago, then went to a trailer tent for several years. Then when the kids left home we went to tenting, but that was such hard work for the weekend, I just never got basic enough and would take lots of extras along which took longer to pack an unpack. But I couldnt get a comfortable bed, until we had the motorhome.

Well the motorhome is bliss, not having to pack and unpack , apart from to load to go away etc.

I can see the appeal of the PVC as you can park in a normal parking space, but not much storage again.

Our next jump is a big army truck which will only do 12-15mpg probably a bit less than that. Its gonna cost a fortune to fill it up in europe.

Never been to the show but wante to go to get some ideas for the selfbuild.
Maybe next year.

Pat

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back