French news report on campervan LPG explosion (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
This was in Sep. 2009 but seems to be the incident referred to in the Gaslow filling thread.. ?

http://lci.tf1.fr/france/faits-divers/2009-09/explosion-dans-une-station-service-sur-l-a10-4863482.html

Google translation

A quiet service station located near Orleans was rocked Tuesday by a loud explosion, which would have occurred, according to preliminary results of the survey, close to an LPG pump. Two occupants of a camper, originating from the Puy de Dome, which was a stop on this area of the A10 motorway near Orleans, to refuel, were seriously injured by fire ensued.

First on-site medical facilities, two people were taken to hospitals in Tours and Paris. "Their prognosis is not in danger," says one from the police. Technicians criminal identification have mobilized to take samples and attempt to provide specific evidence in the investigation. "We scan all the hypotheses. The only certainty for now is that it is an accident," said Lt. John Charles Wiplier the squadron county road safety in the Loiret.

The station closed for security reasons

Shell has also initiated an internal investigation. "We have no evidence to determine the precise causes of the accident," said Bruno Rosenthal, head of corporate communications. "We know that the driver of the camper has completed the first full-diesel for his vehicle that runs on diesel and he then moved his camper near a terminal to run another LPG filling in a other storage undetermined at this time. That's when the fire broke out, "says the same source.

Recordings from CCTV cameras have been recovered by investigators. "As a precaution, we informed all our retailers offering this fuel, and put up new signs reminding that the use of LPG pumps is solely dedicated to LPG powered vehicles," said Shell. The service station was closed for an indefinite period.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Does this mean that LPG domestic tanks are not allowed to be filled now?.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I've refilled my Gaslow system a number of times in various places in France since '09 and have had no problems at all at any of the service stations.

Pete:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Does this mean that LPG domestic tanks are not allowed to be filled now?.

I don't know .. all I have is the report.

I wrote in an other post that I was prevented from filling my fixed LPG tank by one operator on a French autoroute .. the attendant came out and asked if it was for the engine or cooking.. when I said cooking they refused to let me fill.. but that was an isolated incident and prior to the 2009 LPG explosion report.. so perhaps they have always had that rule but didn't enforce it?

So, knowing that you know what to answer if asked ..:winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A bit futile trying to kid them that a Cummins chipfat burner runs on LPG Jim.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A bit futile trying to kid them that a Cummins chipfat burner runs on LPG Jim.

yeah,, very true... especially when they smell it ...:roflmto:.. but if you go in for LPG don't fill with diesel first .. If I had answered engine they would have been quite happy to let me fill up..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yup Jim - and it was a Shell station on a motor way that went apeshit at Pete filling our Gaslow, but by the time he got from the shop across the forecourt to us we'd filled em and Pete was locking the locker door LOL

I read somewhere that Shell have apparently stated recently 'We have reminded our personnel that the LPG pumps are only to be used for vehicles powered with LPG' so it might just be Shell .......

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I read somewhere that Shell have apparently stated recently 'We have reminded our personnel that the LPG pumps are only to be used for vehicles powered with LPG' so it might just be Shell .......

Yes, that is what is in the news report and quite probably it is only Shell .. but who can blame them for being cautious ..
What we need to find is the report from their internal investigation, (if it is made public)... we can but wait and see ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back