Battery master switch (1 Viewer)

betterthenatent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Exp
first year
I will have to renew my leisure battery soon as it wont hold a charge. I havent had the motor home for very long so I don't know its history. As a precaution in case the battery is discharging due to a short circuit I thought I would fit a master switch. Now when I had a boat I'm sure the switch isolated the positive side of the circuit. But I was looking at a switch online and it said to wire it into the negative.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi if it breaks the connection to either side of the battery it should be ok as there is no circuit to drain the battery.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you may find there are a number of connections to the battery pos (live) temrinal and only one to the earth terminal.

makes sense to connect to a single wire (earth) than a number of them.(pos)

if the battery is going flat over an extended time (weeks) it could just be normal internal self discharge.
if it goes flat after a few days or a week or so, it sounds knackered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

betterthenatent

Free Member
Aug 23, 2010
Funster No
Exp
first year
Yeah goes flat after about a week or ten days. Just read on another site that you shouldn't use a car charger to charge a leisure battery is that true?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yeah goes flat after about a week or ten days. Just read on another site that you shouldn't use a car charger to charge a leisure battery is that true?

sounds like your battery is knackered and does need replacing if it only lasts a week with no load.

car chargers.....depends on the type of battery....

lead acid type, normal fitment to most motorhomes, are perfectly safe on a car charger.
they are only a slightly modified car battery.

Gel and glass mat type have different charging characteristics and are not really suitable for car chargers.

only thing with normal car chargers is they reduce amps as the battery charges so will never fully charge a leisure battery....probably 80 to 85% at best.

a decent 3 or 4 stage charger reduces volts as the battery charges while maintaining a higher ampage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back