Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
When should I think about getting my cam belt changed? Van is 10 yrs old and has done just under 31,000 miles. I know with cars it was around 50k but the AA man who came out to tell me my battery had died this morning reckoned I should be looking to get it replaced now. Having just forked out £109 for a battery and with insurance, tax and MOT looming next month I'm hoping the answer is not yet :cry:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I believe the recommended would be 5 years ago if it's never been done. It's more about age than mileage with MHs as they do less miles.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Dodgey's right, every 5 years or around 50k. There's a huge bill awaiting you for a new engine if the belt goes. :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Snap , 5 years , we were told as well. We had ours done last year and we had under 15k on the clock.
It would cost you a lot more if it went bang. When we were shown ours , we were glad we'd had it done. :whatthe:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I would do it as soon as you can - before this season anyway! It will cost between £120-150 for cam belt tensioners and water pump. Make sure you do the lot - don't want a water pump to go and end up changing the whole lot again!:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Post vehicle details I and I will supply correct info
ie year ,make, and engine size
I assume it Rolls Royce or Ferrari given what you paid for battery:RollEyes:
Geo

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
When should I think about getting my cam belt changed? Van is 10 yrs old and has done just under 31,000 miles. I know with cars it was around 50k but the AA man who came out to tell me my battery had died this morning reckoned I should be looking to get it replaced now. Having just forked out £109 for a battery and with insurance, tax and MOT looming next month I'm hoping the answer is not yet :cry:

I was faced with the same dilema and would confirm what other Funsters have said, though it was disturbing when I saw the belt they had taken out looking as if it had just come out of the box, new. You can't see it so have it changed as the bill if it does break will be massive. Also a tip if you have it replaced have the garage make a note somewhere in the engine compartment, the year when changed and mileage. It will be helpful when selling on.
One last thought as you have not detailed your base vehicle. Are you sure it is a belt and not a chain? If it is a chain it won't need changing. Belts perish with age which is why they need changing.

Happy motoring

Norman

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mileage isnt usually a factor on motorhome belts as some fiats are 80,000 miles between changes....or four years, whichever comes first.....usually the time factor will dictate the belt change time.

if memory serves, Geo posted a reference to cost of a snapped belt.
around £1300 for a basic rebuild, if feasible....and £200/£300 for a belt change.

Take up Geo's offer and post the full details, at least you'll have the correct info.

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
It's a Fiat Ducato 2.8 TD. Only had it 12 months but nothing in all of the paperwork that came with it to say whether or not it's ever had the belt changed.

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010

Sorry I'm tyring to multi-task and failing miserably.

It's a 2000 van. Next question, best place (I mean cheapest) to get it done? Currently mooching around Warwickshire while I'm job hunting (or until I win the flippin lottery) :ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Your original post said 10 years old so taking it as a 2001
Due every five years
So if you have no history you have to assume the worst and yours was due Yesterday:Eeek:
expect to pay around £280 inc parts vat and labour
Geo

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
11 years old - sorry I'm not paying attention am I. I will look through all the bumf again. My friends idea of turning it into a mobile S&M wagon is looking more and more attractive - should make me about £1.50 :Eeek:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well as a 2000 model its slightly better
6 year interval, so check all history you can, call any garage in the service book they may have a record of it being done
if its never had one, its only 4 years over due and not 5:Eeek:
Geo

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Cam Belt.

Hi,
Had ours changed last year, Fiat 2.5, 6yrs old and 36,000 0n clock, on recomendation took to 'Fiat Trucks' a full day job, cost £343 plus VAT.
When I drove it home, sounded like a 'bag of hammers' turned round took it straight back. Engineer had a look and listen, told me it had
'jumped a tooth' another 12 hrs work to fix it.
Although I had only driven it a few miles, I had them sign a idemnity log,
with the invoice. Have done several thousand since then, no probs.
After its first service by Fiat, I queried the 'Jump out of Gear Problem'
that had been reported by owners at that time. The service mananger was very coy, but the Engineer gave me a tip, never use fifth gear till the engine reached normal running temperature and use the best Semi-Syn. Oil.
Which I have done, no probs since. Best Regards.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,
Had ours changed last year, Fiat 2.5, 6yrs old and 36,000 0n clock, on recomendation took to 'Fiat Trucks' a full day job, cost £343 plus VAT.
When I drove it home, sounded like a 'bag of hammers' turned round took it straight back. Engineer had a look and listen, told me it had
that had been reported by owners at that time. The service mananger was very coy, but the Engineer gave me a tip, never use fifth gear till the engine reached normal running temperature and use the best Semi-Syn. Oil.
if they did it properly it cant 'jump' a tooth.
the crankshaft, camshaft and injector pump are all locked off with pins to stop them turning when the old belt is removed.
they probably had slack on the 'drive' side of the belt which would alter the timing slightly when tensioned.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi,

See what great value us independants are
Mind you I'd charge £343 Plus vat to do it twice
:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
ninjayorkies

ninjayorkies

Free Member
Mar 28, 2010
Lutterworth
Funster No
MH
A Beastie
Exp
Since July 2010
See what great value us independants are
Mind you I'd charge £343 Plus vat to do it twice

Ouch. Looked through all of the paperwork again and I have a service history up until 2007 so I will phone the garages listed and see if they can help with any info :thumb:

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My 2006 2.3 Ducato is having the belt changed next week, £275 + VAT and its done 26000 miles. Better safe than sorry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back