TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
...and before anybody gets the wrong idea, its dampness on the underside of the cushions when we put the bed away in the morning.

Presumably its because the lockers that the bed rests on are relatively cold and no air circulates between the foam pad and the locker top. I've wondered about insulating the lockers, or about drilling them to get a bit of air circulating.

Does anyone have any hints please?

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
From previous discussions some suggestions put forward were, put slats under the matress/cushions to allow some circulation and another was some marine matting designed for the job (I think that came from ScotJimland?).

As to ventilation our Winne has vents between the locker and inside for this reason but it doesn't stop it all esspecially in the colder times so, and I think with all options mentioned, lifting the matress/cushions regularly to let the dry/breath/air is a good idea to.

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Use bubble wrap under the mattress or the thin plastic sheet they use as underlay for plastic flooring. Anything that keeps the cold locker from the warm bed will do but these suggestions are very light & won't use any of your payload.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
You can use special matting, but to me that is a 'sticking plaster' fix, not a solution. ..
Rather than absorb the condensation it's much better to prevent it by getting air circulating .. by:

either
a) drilling holes in the base,
b) replace the solid base with slats
c) slats on top of the base..

as our bed base was the 'lid' to the engine bay replacing with slats or drilling holes was out of the question. I came up with the idea of slats on top .. that worked a treat.. no more damp mattress.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi

Many years ago now a person who we hired a motorhome from had a lot of this trouble. How he had got around it was to make a framework of wood and cover with a stiff mesh, to place under the mattresses.
This seemed to completely cure the problem.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I have the same problem on the boat as the mattress is on a solid platform with storage underneath.

The answer is to put something underneath to allow air to circulate, there is a marine solution but is bloody expensive like all things associated with boats :cry:

This post gave me an idea, Kampa do some interlocking carpet tiles with an open mesh which would lift the mattress away from the solid base.

Not expensive either and they can be cut to shape and easy to remove to get at the storage panels underneath.

Will fit some and see what the result is.

Peter

Attachments

• kampa_easylock_tiles__88501_thumb.jpg
    kampa_easylock_tiles__88501_thumb.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 28

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
...and before anybody gets the wrong idea, its dampness on the underside of the cushions when we put the bed away in the morning.

Presumably its because the lockers that the bed rests on are relatively cold and no air circulates between the foam pad and the locker top. I've wondered about insulating the lockers, or about drilling them to get a bit of air circulating.

We had the same problem, so we went to Ikea and bought some bed slats. Can't remember the cost but not a lot. I also fitted a thin camping mat under the slats. Not had any problems since. :thumb:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
condensation

Do you have drop down doors in the floor units if so you could try leaving them open when you have put the bed up.
That`s assuming you have the same set up as ours "U" shaped lounge turns into bed.

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
I never knew Ikea sold bed slats so thanks for posting that 656, Graham was gonna make some :thumb:

Dale

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+

Grass/reed beach mats worked a treat for us when we had an overcab coachbuilt.:thumb:

OP
OP
TDH

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
Do you have drop down doors in the floor units if so you could try leaving them open when you have put the bed up.
That`s assuming you have the same set up as ours "U" shaped lounge turns into bed.

No, ours open from the top.

Thanks ever so much for all these really useful ideas. I'll let you know how it works.

Cheers,

T

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Wooden slats do it for me...

I was told that the body "produces" lots of water (water) overnight which goes into the mattress... unless there is ventilation to evaporate this away you get it forming dampness between the mattress and bed base...

check out the beds in the house... they have "ventilation" systems too...

JJ :Smile:

Attachments

• the wagon bed slatts.jpg
    the wagon bed slatts.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 12

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class