Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Hi
After giving the van a wash today (Hobby T550fs) I noticed the paint is flaking in a couple of places on the flat aluminium roof. Does anyone know if its possible to climb onto the roof to repaint etc. I really need to give the roof a good scrub and wax after I paint. I know some vans will take the weight of standing on the roof, but I would hate to get up there and end up in the dinette:ROFLMAO: Any advice from you more experienced funsters appreciated.

John

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Not sure about your particular van but most motorhomes are strong enough to walk on the roof. Walk where you cause the least flex and I'm sure you will be ok. We have a hobby dealer who looks in regularly and quite a few owners, so you shouldn't have to wait too long for a defnitive answer:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It certainly feels solid, and I'm not exactly a heavyweight, but you cant be too careful.
John
very true :thumb: just keep away from roof openings....vents, roof glass and the front overcab cowl (usually ABS plastic) etc.....the weakest part of any roof is an opening.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I used to polish the roof etc on my Hobby 760fms by putting a couple of thick old cushions just above the edge of the roof and I had an old scaffold plank I would place on the cushions..... kept my weight of the roof, just in case.. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
very true :thumb: just keep away from roof openings....vents, roof glass and the front overcab cowl (usually ABS plastic) etc.....the weakest part of any roof is an opening.

Yes the front overcab is ABS and just feeling it indicates it has no support to it.

OP
OP
golly

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I used to polish the roof etc on my Hobby 760fms by putting a couple of thick old cushions just above the edge of the roof and I had an old scaffold plank I would place on the cushions..... kept my weight of the roof, just in case.. :thumb:

What a good idea, I think I will give that a try, I will also have to rig some sort of platform up at the front of the van so I can access the overcab area as the snow has pulled the Hobby decal away from the front. I thought ladders either side with a plank accross.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What a good idea, I think I will give that a try, I will also have to rig some sort of platform up at the front of the van so I can access the overcab area as the snow has pulled the Hobby decal away from the front. I thought ladders either side with a plank accross.

Tape the same cushions to the ladder and park your MH in front of a wall about 3 - 4 foot away to stop the ladder from slipping. and put the ladder up the front,,,, most of your weight will be downwards so wont dent or scratch the aluminium front..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back